SM 630 stall and won't start

Discussion in '610/630' started by Caboose, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    Hi there fellow husky owners!

I'm having some problem with my 2011 SM630 lately. It stalls after 5 mins and doesn't start after. The fuel pump primes and it cranks. It happens when its not fully warmed (or nearly warmed up) but its not consistent. When is first happened I waited about 5 mins and it started and ran for almost 2 hours without any problem. The second time it happened I pulled out the spark plug and there was a strong spark, but the plug was bone dry though I cranked it a few times. So my guess it doesnt get fuel. The strange thing is when I disconnected and reconnected the battery it started right away.
    So it starts up at first crank when cold but stops, doesnt start then heals itself. The bike is bone stock, bo PU, no power commander and didnt see any water recently.
    I need some advice where should I look for the cause?
    My guesses:
    -Temp sensor, its still the old black type
    -Roll over sensor
    -TPS?
    -MAQS sensor?
    -Wiring issue?
    Im making my own ibeat cable and will plug it in and see if it has any errors or anything suspicious.
    Thanks for any help!
    Cheers from Hungary!
  2. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
  3. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
  4. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
  5. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    Still trying to figure out the cause of the problem. I build my ibeat cable, plugged it in. It shows that the engine just shuts off for no particular reason. No abnormal reading, no faults. The temp sensor seems to work good. When the engine stalls the injector pulse drops to 0, and the manifold pressure jumps to ~100 kPa. The strange thing is that when I try to restart the manifold pressure doesn't drop as I crank the engine. And the injector pulse sticks to 0.
    Then when the engine worked, I unplugged the spark plug and then cranked the engine and the manifold pressure dropped to ~30 kPa and the injector pulse was normal.

What do you think is it a bad ECU? Or a bad MAQS sensor unit?
  6. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    It seems I have a developement in the issue. It seems that the spark goes away. Pulled the HT coil out and I cant measure any resistance at the secondary coil. So maybe its faulty. I also measured the cps, it measures 100 Ohm as per manual.
  7. josem Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    what's the cps?
  8. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Crank position sensor
  9. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    I managed to measure the cps when the engine stopped and it shows an open circuit. When it cools down it shows ~100 Ohms again. So its obviously faulty. I already ordered a spare CPS.

One last question: Can I get the stator cover off without draining the oil or tilting the bike to the right?
  10. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    I'm having a slow morning: I'm trying to look at the different sensors on the part manual, but I can't find crank or throttle position sensors.
    Anybody takes pity and tell me what to look for? :D
  11. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    They do not sell them separately, so you wont find neither in the parts catalog. The cps is sold with the stator assembly. And the tps is sold with the throttle body.
    But you can get them from ebay for example. (cps: "pick up coil p71" / tps: "yzf 125 tps")
    mjskier likes this.
  12. josem Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    How did you measure the CPS resistance ? using the connector under the tank?
    So in your case the CPS runs well when cold, but once the engine gets hot it fails...?

I got the stator cover removed without taking the oil just leaning the bike to right.
  13. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    Yes i unplugged the connector under the tank and measured it with a simple multimeter.
    Its the 100 Ohms as per manual when cold (~20 Celsuis) and then it fails (it shows an open circuit) as it gets hot. And then slowly cooling down it starts to read 3-400 Ohms and then slowly decreases to ~100 ohms.
  14. Caboose Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 600 f
    I changed the cps today and it works! Thanks for the help guys!
    Guns N Husqys likes this.
  15. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    One for the good guys