SM 610 tire wear?

Discussion in '610/630' started by jmesenburg, Mar 19, 2009.

1. jmesenburg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki Concours 1400
    Hi, my first post! I have an '07 SM 610- was a sportbike guy- absolutely loving it! My question is after 800 miles my stock Pirelli Diablo is almost toast! MY last few bikes had twice the horsepower and sticky tires- usually got 2500 miles out of them! Comments?
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you looking for suggestions on a tire that lasts longer? If so then what type of riding do you want it to excel in - dry twisty roads, track, all weather....

Or are you trying to find out how many miles others have gotten on the stock tires?
  3. jmesenburg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki Concours 1400
    Thanks for the reply- I was wondering what sort of tire wear people were getting from the SM610 with aggressive riding, 90% road/10% dirt. I am suprised at replacing a sport tire after 1000 miles now. Am also interested in what tire to try next. -J
  4. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I'm almost opposite I'm 90% dirt 10% road. On my TE-510. I love the Kenda K270. Most likely would work just fine and you should get a lot more then 1000 miles out of her.
    But if you're hard into engine braking (Wears tires quickly) you might want to try a Kenda K761 way more street than dirt application.
    Tires are a very personal choice...you're gonna have to try a couple different brands and type before you find one you like.
    Good Luck:thumbsup:
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Gotcha.

Most dirtbike riders would be delighted to get 1000 miles of use out of a tire.

Hopefully the SM people will chime in with some input...
  6. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Most dirt riders that use a rear trials tire are delighted to get 1000 miles out of a tire:D

I've got an SM610 also, but I've not done too many rippin' street rides on my Diablos. I'm usually wearing dirt tires. I have noticed, though, that I'm harder on the gas on the 610 than I am on any of my streetbikes, so that tends to chew the tires up quicker. Also, the monster breaking power up front (and my sheer glee in using it as often as possible) would tend to shorten the life of the front tire, I would think.

So far I'm happy with the Diablos, they stick quite nicely, but I'm curious to see how many street miles I get out of them. If you find something that works better and lasts longer, let me know.

WoodsChick
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    jmesenburg, same situation here. I have roasted mine in about 1800 miles. Looking for something much better life wise. I'm used to many more miles than this on a street bike.
  8. rajobigguy Administrator

jmesenburg:
    I just got a set of Contiforce SM tires that I'm fitting up. They are a medium compound tire specifically designed for lighter weight (SM vs Superbike) bikes. I'll let you know how they work out.
  9. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    On my SM610, the stock rear tire (diablo) was gone in 2000 miles. I replaced both front and rear with Avon Distanzias and really like them. I'm using the SM versions of the Distanzias. The rear tire also lasted about 2500 miles. I just replaced the rear with another SM Distanzia. My odometer is currently approx. 5000 miles, so I will see how long this one lasts. I'm guessing 2000-2500 miles will be the typical rear life span for me. FYI... my front Distanzia was still ok. So, I'm guessing two rear tires for each front tire.

EDIT: my SM610 sees about 90% road / 10% dirt,gravel,etc..
  10. brisendines Husqvarna
    A Class

I hope mine last longer! My SM610 was delivered with Dunlop D253s on them... they look awesome! Husky doesn't seem to list them as a standard tire, but I've found a web page that says they are standard equipment on some 450smr, 510smr and 610sm. The treads are pretty deep in the middle, and almost straight across the tire. The edges are slick with no tread. Can't wait to try them out!