1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Single wire kill switch

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by supermotodaz, Oct 13, 2012.

1. supermotodaz Husqvarna
    B Class

Sorry if this seems a simple question but i just wanna make sure i,m right, to install a kill switch on my 74 450 with the single wire up from the ignition to the coil is it just the case of connecting onto this wire and running another single wire up to the kill button ( single connection type kill button).
    Cheer,s
    Daz
  2. ty w Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 wr 240-250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha IT 200 , yamaha TY 250
    yes, the single wire from pionts should go to ignitor coil and split back up to kill switch wich will ground to stop engine. on the cdi style, its the carge coil that get its signal grounded, kill switch connecting at cdi box.also if it had a key swich the key would interrupt( open the circut) inbetween the stator and ignitor coil. but caution with a single wire kill switch as the ground circut will use the steering stem bearings. putting power through bearings is not good for them, it pitts the surface and wears them prematurely. you should perhaps put a ground return back to the frame, and if theres headlights check to see theres a ground to frame not grounded to front end. i modified some wiring and didnt heat shrink the connectors, then like 10 years later, a ground corroded screwed up, then the headlight grounded through the turn signals and all the lights took to blinking alternately like hazard lights. nowadays theres the double wall heatshrink, inner lining like hot melt glue. tis real real good for such wire ends and connectors waterproofing, highly recommended. my current husky is a 84 wr 240 bored to 250, ignition from vespa and headlight from boeing. a 100 watt that will light up the otherside of the valley and if i point it up, will light up the mountain top about one or two kilometer away.no low beam or backup filament. if you look straight at it it really blinds for several minutes, so i keep it aimed down. when i get to the top of the mountain, and point it north to reflect off the sea, you can see the northern lights appear. its a phenomenon of scientific mystery, even shining it off the snow top mountain disperses the light to make some unexplainable lights in the night sky aswell.
  3. supermotodaz Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for reply, i,ll do as you suggest with the ground, i,ll take it back to the frame where the coil bolts down on, like the modern bikes do. No lights fitted to this bike, will purely be used for motocross when i,ve finished it.
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    It does not do any good with a single wire kill button that grounds to the handle bar when you have rubber mounted handle bar clamps
  5. ty w Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 wr 240-250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha IT 200 , yamaha TY 250
    ah yes indeed those rubber mounted handlebars arent a good ground