1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Shouldn't have done it...

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Cosmokenney, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    ...but had to. I needed money for a new car I sold my beloved TE511. I rationalized the sale because I was paying insurance on a bike that I wasn't riding all that often and it was worth a lot. So I now have a new car. But I am feeling the hole in my stable.

I ride my Husky WR 2 stroke on trails more often than dual sporting, but I cannot get it plated in CA. But there are lots of dirt roads and trails in my area that I want to explore for access to fishing. But I can't use my Husky WR.

I'm thinking of buying an older Yami WR250R (in the $2000) range. I'm wondering if anyone here as experience with these bikes and can comment on their off road capabilities?

I figure this will serve a dual purpose (pun intended). I can have my 17 y/o son use it to get his motorcycle street licence. And I'll use it occasionally to explore.

I'm also thinking it would be good to put one of the Athena 300 CC, or bigger kits, on it later on down the road after my son is done with it. Any impressions of the Athena kits?

Thanks.
    Cosmo.
    juicypips likes this.
  2. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    A WR 250 F is a better proposition for the real woods. The 250R is a reasonable small bore compromise dual sport bike however.
  3. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Yea, the 250F is a green sticker bike in CA. No chance I could get a plate for that.

I don't see myself doing any kind of major enduro on this bike. I just need something for the gnarly dirt roads that you wouldn't take a 2WD passenger car on, or some basic trails.

I would go for a TE 310, but I'm concerned that rebuild parts are going to dry up.
  4. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    If you go for an older 310 they have the same bottom end as the 250/450 and 510, ie bullet proof and lots of spares.
    NCSteve likes this.
  5. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    KLX250s is as reliable as a hammer, and can be had cheap. No shortage of big bore kits available, and the 06/07 have decent suspension
  6. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    The whole reason I own a husky is because of the WR250R. The bike was great on the pavement. Once off road, it's street bike design was holding it back. It was a well made bike, just not good off road. The suspension was terrible and the power was pretty low. The bike weighs 305lbs.

The first time I took my husky out, I had found a Yamaha tool kit spread out on the trail. Right away I knew exactly what it came off of since I just sold mine. After loading up the bikes at the end of the day, 5 miles down the road from the staging area I see this guy with a wr250r pulled over and getting some warm clothes on. I noticed right away that his tool kit was missing. I stopped and let him know I found his tool kit and he started telling me that he just sold his husky to get the Yamaha. I started laughing and then he told me that the guy he bought it from(original owner) had dumped $5000 into the bike on top of the sticker price. The new owner just put a little over a $1000 into it. He told me it still isn't to his liking and was going to spend some more money swapping the suspension out. We parted ways and as we drove away I was shaking my head in disbelief. The bike in 08' was a little over $8000 out the door. So this bike had $14,000 put into it and still not great off road. That feeling I had inside of knowing that the $8000 I spent on the husky was money well spent.

So moral of the story is if you want to off road a WR250R, be prepared for a dissapointment. Just my $.02.
  7. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Every dualsport will be a compromise. It depends on which side of the compromise you want to be on.
    reveille likes this.
  8. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Exactamundo Zomby
  9. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    DONT FOR GET HONDA XLs I WOULD THINK THEY AS COMMON AS THE CLAP LOTS OF AFTER MARKET SUPPORT I THINK A TRICKED OUT XL
    WOOD BE KOOL
    Kam1 likes this.
  10. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Didn't have a wr250r but had a wr250x (supermoto version) typical pcv/exhaust combo and playing with sprockets. I've had a ton of bikes and that is the only one I wish I still had. Not a racer by any means but it had a car like maintenance interval, much lighter then my drzsm, and fuel mileage was amazing 50mpg beating the hell out of it. Good luck finding one at 2k but if you do, get it! First valve check was at 24k miles so they're meant to last. Only real issue was the fuel pump on tge 2008's. Ask if it was changed already and if not, change it. That's really all.
    268fords likes this.
  11. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    I do sometimes miss the wr250r for those reasons. On the street it was a hoot, as long as you stayed away from the hills. I forgot that the valve check was at insanely high intervals.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  12. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Yea, there's that compromise thing. I'm all to familiar with that. Remember I've owned a KLR250, KLR650 and a TE511. I am more aligned with the TE511 and as I said in my OP, I shouldn't have sold it. But, I was hurting for funds. That bike handled so well off-road, it was like cheating. And I'm okay with putting along at no more than 50 MPH on our paved back roads. I.e. a geared down bike with better tractoring ability off-road -- but less top speed on-road.

But it sounds like the a third Husky is in my future! Who knows maybe I'll be able to pick up a TE449 all fixed up with a PCV and PowerCore4 exhaust.

I've been seeing them in the $4,000 range and that's about what I'd pay for a 2005+ WR250R. So that's a no brainer. I was just hoping to get something for ~$2,000 so I could get it sooner.
  13. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    THERE ARE STILL NEW 449s HERE IN SWMO:thumbsup: CALL WAYNE @ LSK 1 888 898 3041
  14. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Wr250r, street legal one started in 08. We may be thinking of different bikes which would mean all the advice is wrong:)
  15. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    Yea I've seen so many of them on CL and eBay that I am starting to get confused on which years. Saw this one on eBay with a current bid of $1,999. Assumed it was street legal:
    http://www . ebay . com/itm/172301594730?euid=ef441833f60342239f4aadfaf8c40d51&bu=43178331395&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu
  16. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    It's street legal, just not from the factory. Not sure how that works taking it to CA
  17. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    You're gonna be pretty disappointed when you twist your wrist after the 511 and 2fiddy.
    starrblade and 268fords like this.
  18. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    The TE511 was one hot motor for sure! With the PCV (with Accelerator Pump feature on), FMF PowerCore 4 and Butterfly mod that thing was truly a ballistic missile. I've been thinking it would be nice to have something a bit more mild for dual sporting. When I'm dual sporting I'm looking to get from point A to point B. Usually loaded with stuff.

That why I'm thinking a 300 class motor might be nice. I would love to do a 2 stroke 300, but you know how hard it is to get a plate on one here in CA. Pretty much impossible.
  19. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Think about a TE 610 or 630, both very capable dual sport bikes
  20. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    You should also consider a DRZ 400. Been around forever, easy to work on, TONS of aftermarket goodies.