1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Should I Buy A 2010 Te310?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by six3seven, Mar 26, 2022.

1. six3seven Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R
    Hey Husky fam,

I have a lead on a 2010 TE310. Owner says about 5200km. Asking price is $5,400 AUD, which is high end, but the bike looks in clean condition and we're currently experiencing a COVID tax due to struggles with new imports.

I'm wary about the starter gear set, but apparently it starts easy.

I want to go look at the bike, but I'm hoping to get some tips on what to look out for, and should I assume I'm up for a top end soon after purchase?

Or am I setting myself up for a parts supply nightmare?
  2. GrooveThang Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE
    2010 should be the old “big block” motor. The 310 didn’t get the problematic XLite engine until 2011. I wouldn’t be so sure that it needs a rebuild. I’ve seen the small bores go up to 10,000 km before needing a tear down. I’d look back at the old threads on here about the 2008 TE250-510 and see if the needed updates have been done. Hopefully he will have iBeat tuning software to go with it. A JD Tuner would be a good addition. Look at the old info and you will be well armed to make a good decision. At a quick glance look for leaky fork seals, melted air box, hard starting, kick start lever rubbing on throttle cable, all electrics working and the normal checks of air box, oil, etc. They were and are still GREAT motorcycles. In my mind one of the greatest ever. Oh… a 2009 with 8000 miles went for $3600 USD near me last month. Still on original top end. Sold in 4 days.
    shrubitup likes this.
  3. GrooveThang Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE
  4. GrooveThang Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE
    One more thing…. SWM has many, many crossover parts.
  5. six3seven Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R
    Thanks mate, that makes me feel a little more comfortable. I've been doing a stack of reading.

I know the 2010 should have the valve shims that can be replaced without removing the cams. And this one looks like it's after they used Athena 310 jugs. Spark plug is through the rocker cover, but the rocker is painted black. So I'm guessing that means it's pre red head?

I guess I'm struggling with understanding when exactly Husky changed various engineering elements.. what I think I have come to is I want one with the post-Athena jug, but before the red valve cover? Does this get me a bike before BMW designed the engine? And does that mean the bottom end is common with the big bore bikes?

I found a copy of the workshop manual, so I'm getting up to speed with how these things are maintained.
  6. six3seven Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R

Looking at the photos of the bike I'm looking at, the engine looks identical to the 2011.. with the square jug. Meanwhile, I've found some 2010 models both with with the earlier Athena style jug, and some with flat sided style. Pretty confusing, until..

Just found an article from June 2010 where BMW say the newer engine will be available from mid 2010.

HUSQVARNA TC250, TE250, TE310 - BIG CHANGES TO THE NEW TC250/TE250 - THE TE310 IS COMPLETELY REVAMPED (bmwgroup.com)

Is this 22kg 302cc the first XLite? The bike I'm looking at has the Kayaba forks, Sachs shock. This new design mid-2010 had a new CDI with two maps, so should have a map switch on the bars, so at least that's something I can check. Does it even matter?
  7. GrooveThang Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE
    Yes.. The XLite motor is highly problematic. Great when they run. When…. Almost certain it will have starter issues. I’m in the States so our model year designations might not line up. The 2010 here was the old big block.
  8. GrooveThang Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE
    Post a pic of the bike you are looking at
  9. six3seven Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R

[IMG]
  10. GrooveThang Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE
    That’s an XLite.mMaybe quiz the owners of those bikes. Anything I say is hearsay. Good looking bike for sure.
  11. hhdwtmtw He who dies with the most toys wins...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE300, '11 TE449, '10 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
    I have the TE250 version of the X-Lite engine. The starter worm and ring gear were stuffed with only 2500km on the clock. Halls Cycles in IL had local stock of spare worm and ring gears. They are now out of stock with Husqvarna's supply chain. A good site to check availability and for ordering parts is italhusky.com. If the price on a line item is blank then the part is NLA. The only other problem my bike had was a sheared flywheel woodruff key. Other than that it's a great bike for my son to learn to ride on.

The asking price is a bit high given supply on new bikes is returning to normal. I would think around $4,500 is fair.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    That's an X-light. Fantastic handling, OK motor, might be hard to get parts for as SWM does not use that motor. Crap starter, iffy EFI, really hard to start with the kicker.
    GrooveThang and shrubitup like this.
  13. six3seven Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R
    Thanks folks.

I'm going to look at a decent low km 2009 on Saturday. Local Husky dealer has done some maintenance on it, and the owner's done filters and oil himself. Fork seals needed, but I was including a suspension rebuild in my budget.. 4,500km.. asking $4200. I'll see what kind of offer I can get him to take.
  14. GrooveThang Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE
    2009 Will be the bombproof Big Block motor. Wonderful bikes and SWM can help with parts. I love mine and will probably never sell her
  15. GrooveThang Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE
    Did you pull the trigger?
  16. Superbd1975 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 SMR450
    Other Motorcycles:
    HONDA GROM
    I dont know where you are located but i have a 2010 husy 310 with 350 actual original miles for sale
  17. GrooveThang Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE
    I think he is in Australia. I’m in Warner Robins. Messaged you a week or so ago and we talked about the bikes briefly. I have a friend that’s getting ready to sell a 2001 Ducati 996. If he gets it sold quickly he might be calling you, though I think your bike will probably be gone by then…. Wanna trade?