1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Shifting problem

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by disonny, May 16, 2016.

1. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    This is on my 75 wr250, the bike up shifts good but every gear I down shift to, it goes to neutral first, then I hit the shifter again and it goes into gear. Any ideas of why it does this?

Thanks
  2. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Dale, do you think it could be the same problem I had with my 73 Husky? Worn out shifting fork rollers? What you defined is how my shifting issues started.
  3. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    Gordon, My rollers look good. I have since found that there is a timing to the trans. I think I have it fixed but I am waiting on a base gasket so I an try it out. I hope it's good because it's my ride for unadilla.
  4. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just lit mine off with the new transmission Dale. I love it!! Shifts like butter and neutral has never been so easy to find. Can't wait for Unadilla! I love my 74 Can Am MX1-125. But Unadilla was a lot of track for that bike last year. Looking forward to getting the Husky out there this year.
    Yes, there is a timing to the transmission and also the kickstart mechanism. Forrest explained to me how to do it a couple years ago. A guy at the first netra race this year went to start his Husky and I'm thinking it wasn't timed right, as it slammed back and wiped out his case cover. Wiped out, as in destroyed it. Broke all the way to the oil fill hole. Ended his day right after unloading it off the truck.
    See you soon!
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I had a broken stud that holds the roller on the fork. I had to double shift to get it in gear. Be careful the tranny will engage two gears at the sametime sooner or later. Double check.

This is the only time something broke in a Husqvarna tranny on me a 1977 250wr.
  6. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    So the bike is back together and running good. Shifts nice too. I had the tranny timing off when I put it together. All is good. :applause: