Shark Fin Soup?

Discussion in '610/630' started by BiG DoM, Jan 3, 2012.

1. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

What are you using for rear brake disc shark fins and front disc protection (for TE610)? Recommendations?
  2. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Has no one fitted anything? Motosports seem like an option? Is there nothing plastic?
  3. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

I've been trying to see if the 630 uses the same carrier as any other Huskys or KTM's.
    The part itself doesn't show a number on the parts fiche. I put the question out, but got no answers so far.
    From there it will simply be a matter of ordering from Scott's.
  4. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Couldn´t find anything in the Special Parts list for the 630 ... and don´t want to chance ordering parts that wont fit.
  5. motosportz mike CH Sponsor

The motosportz front rotor guard does fit both the 610 and 630 and the rear takes a shark fin. Mike.
  6. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Mike - just for confirmation the Motosport rear fin/protector fits the 610? Very few if any alternatives - but these seem like a good product although $$$
  7. motosportz mike CH Sponsor

The rear does not fit the 610. It would require grinding to fit. I do not think people want to grind on their bike for this purpose. Mike.
  8. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

What requires grinding? The fin or the bike? Sorry I am confused as your first post says it fits. I have already ordered a front and back.:cool:
  9. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok had a look - appears as if the two small lugs at bottom of caliper carrier may need removing, or I will just modify and use them for mounting the fin. No worries.
  10. motosportz mike CH Sponsor

The rear guard is held in place by wraping around the caliper holder in the axle area, this area is too large on the 610 to fit the guard. There is a lot of material in this area and it could be made to fit with a grinder. The shark fin does not bolt on to the 2 tabs either and if I remember correctly they would not have to be removed for this either. We would be happy to change your order for you if needed as well. Thanks Mike.
  11. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Mike for the detail on this - pity it is not plug and play for the 610 and 630 - have you thought of one for these models?

Just for clarity (again :p) before I make a call on this - would I need to gring your guard to fit or the caliper holder? I really like the idea of a matching set front and rear. The link on your website for more pics for the rear guards is broken by the way (nice clear ones for the front).
  12. motosportz mike CH Sponsor

I would have ground on the bike part the shark fin holder goes around, but I suppose it could go the other way. Mike.
  13. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

OK so I ordered front and back brake disc protectors from Motorsportz for my 610. Front fits up in 5 minutes, plug and play.

The rear as noted on the website and by Mike above is not a straight fit for the 610 (and 630??). I nevertheless ordered it having looked a pics and was convinced I could make it work (I subscribe to 'where there is a will there is a way')!. Well it really was quite simple and involved very little invasive surgery and I suggest to Mike that they actually make the modded boss available for the 610/630 application.

All that is required is the removal essentially of three very small pieces of alu (see second last pic) - the two unused benign lugs at the bottom of the brake caliper (shown in pics, first in place arrowed and then removed) and a small wedge of the black mounting boss on the rear Motorsportz guard (also see pics below - blue arrow and then the one shows it marked in pencil before the cut). This allows the mounting boss to snug up against the caliper and fit properly. I used a small angle grinder with cutting disc and an electric file to finish off (the job could probably be done with a Dremel). The locating tang on the black boss also requires slight shaping underneath to the curvature of the caliper bracket - easily achieved again with grinder and file.

I then finally touched up the black boss with black Hammerite and good to go. I am very happy with the excellent quality of the product and now have a matching pair of protectors.

fin1.jpg fin2.jpg fin3.jpg fin4.jpg fin5.jpg fin6.jpg fin7.jpg
  14. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    nicely done, keep up the R & D!
  15. Rough Rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

PSP in Cape Town made mine
  16. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    Hi folks.......So is this the same mod that has to take place to make it work on the TE-630??
  17. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice mod, thanks for the time and pix. :cheers:
  18. twolane Husqvarna
    A Class

Yup. Same mod for the 630. I did get a plug and play rear fin from Motoxotica, but it just mounts to those two tangs under the swing arm. No where near a stout as the motosportz one above, but my 630 is no motocross bike either...
  19. 04asphalt Husqvarna
    AA Class

moose racing fin bought at the local KTM shop bolts right on the rear 08 te610
  20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    the problem with the bolt on ones and why we don;t do that is because those are little cast mounts made for hanging a plastic shield and can and will snap of on a good side impact. Seen it many times. Cast aluminum is not very strong and those mounts are quite small.