Semi-Working LCD - Help

Discussion in 'TR650' started by M1A2TechPI, Jul 21, 2017.

1. M1A2TechPI Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1998 KLR 650, 03 SV 1000N
    Hello Everyone, Chris from Tagaytay, Cavite in the Philippines here. I have a somewhat odd happening with my 2013 "Terrable" LCD. Back on June 13 a friend Les (Australian) and I went out for 2-3 day ride to Eastern Philippines and within an hour I noticed my Speed was not Displayed, and the Trip distance and Fuel Consumption were stationary. Stopped at the 1st gas station, removed the luggage and checked all the fuses = A OK. So we continued on using Les's ER-6n to gauge when to make our/ stops for fuel. No EWS, and everything else seems to work. Spent the night at a hotel and we continued on the next morning. Until about 8am when I got caught in a Sandwich (between a Provincial Bus and a Jeepeny) at 80-100 kph here in the Philippines. Did not crash, but the Jeepeny bumper nailed my left foot and foot peg. End result, foot peg bent, Forma Adv Boot went in the trash and now only have 4 toes on "My Left Foot". Recovery going good, Crutches Suck, and it's PITA trying to sleep. Could have been worse!
    Les got my "Terrable" and gear back to his place. But, I need assistance in trying to figure out and solve WHY only partial LCD issue and the service manual kind lame. Notes: Still have Original Battery as I use Battery Tender when not riding thus: Please help me Troubleshoot the Issue.
    1-Could the battery be a possible issue - even while riding?
    2-Could it be a possible misaligned / slightly loose connector behind the headlight/ or at/ in the dash board?
    3-Could the speed sensor (wherever it's located) need to be cleaned / lubed - if exposed to the elements?
    Any suggestions, recommendations and ideas welcome.
    Plan B Maybe have to go find a Good Waterproof/ Durable Bicycle Computer that will work on a MC and do ODO Total Mileage, Trip Mileage, Time, Speed & Distance / No GPS needed.

Plan C Get a New Battery, do a Reset Procedure after #1,2,3 above. All the above will be difficult on my STICKS. Thank you for any and all input via CH TR650 or PM. Regards to All Here, Chris
  2. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Hi Chris. Sorry to hear of your mishap with your left foot and the LCD :eek: . Hope you recover well.

I had a 'event' a few years ago which involved a heap of fencing wire that did some $$ damage. Anyway, one of the items damaged was the speed sensor cable was cut. The speed sensor cable runs along the left side swing arm to the rear wheel. You'll see a slotted disc mounted on the left side of the rear wheel. The sensor must read of this. Worth checking everything looks ok around this area. I managed to fix the cable cut and get the speedo working again.
    Good luck.
  3. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    The fuel consumption is the odd man out here, because that is measuring the flow of fuel and is completely unrelated to the speed, distance or any measure of those.
    None of it really sounds like a battery issue to me. Sounds more like an issue with the ECU or possibly with the dash. I suppose it depends where those numbers are stored and the process through which they get displayed onto the dash. I'd disconnect the battery to power down the ECU completely. Maybe even pop the dash out to disconnect that from the loom as well, and disconnect and reconnect the ECU plugs.
  4. Johnn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    T4 Moto Guzzi
    Fuel consumption is amount of fuel used over distance. If the distance is not being measured, then consumption will not be measured.
    I would power down everything because it's easy, then if that didn't work, check the wiring for possible break or fracture.
    Oh, does the clock and temperature bar show up on the screen? If not it's not the speed sensor.
  5. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Also, every LCD symbol is displayed at key-on as a power up self test. Does this occur?
  6. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    I think you find this is fuel burn calculated by the ECU. Let your bike idle long enough while stationary, it will tick over.
  7. Johnn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    T4 Moto Guzzi
    It if it as frugal as mine, it could take a very long time before it would tick over. But good point.

I think we are starting to drift off topic. :cheers:
  8. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The lack of info on electronics in the manual is a good example of the fact Husky knew little about it, BMW did all the development

The wheel sensor is on the rear wheel and goes to dash/ABS then sends a signal back to the Engine ECU via CAN BUS

The dash will be doing the fuel consumption calculation and getting info on injector opening from Engine ECU via CAN BUS
  9. M1A2TechPI Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    1998 KLR 650, 03 SV 1000N
    Thank You greetings to WayneC, Johnn, OZ TR650, hasenphfeffer, nev and LED for your time and input, I really appreciate your assistance.

What I forgot to mention is my '13 "Terrable" is running a 2 into 1 pipe with a LEXX MXe Can, Pod Mod, AF-XIED set on 7, Brisk Plugs, Canisterectomy done, ATI shifted forward about 2.5', Thermostat mod, running XF 2 Coolant and SS 15/49 gearing.
    So since I'm mucking about on crutches I will wait for Les to return from work on July 29th (day after I turn 69) and priority is get the L. Footpeg and maybe it's mount back to the stock position. Then will completely hand wash/ dry the Terra (rode thru 2 heavy rain showers on June 13th so FILTHY Bike.
    Then here's the plan:
    1 - Remove Rear Speed Sensor - Check & Clean + Cable + the Connector behind the Cyl. Head on the R. Side. + maybe use some contact cleaner as needed
    2 - Check and clean all fuses and exposed connectors? under the seat
    3 - Pull Headlight Assembly and check all connections + Remove the Dash + ??? Open Dash and check inside ??? ie look at internal flex cables/ contamination
    4 - Get Les to take her for a 30 min ride (after writing down current trip/ fuel/ ODO numbers). IF ALL OK - Excellent.
    5 - IF Not will do my 1st RESET since owning my "Terrable"
    QUESTION: For Reset should I disconnect the AF-XIED and revert back to Stock 02 line ????
    As a Final Back Up - Any suggestions, recommendations for a Good Waterproof/ Durable Bicycle Computer that will work on a MC and do ODO Total Mileage, Trip Mileage, Time, Speed & Distance / No GPS needed.
    Sincere thanks and regards to All Here @ CH, Chris
  10. Johnn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    T4 Moto Guzzi
    I can recommend the sigma brand of cycling computers. I have a Sigma 8.12 on my Guzzi using a rare earth magnet attached to the disc. Main advantage is that it is easier to use than the Husky and it displays speeds over 100km/h. Measures, distance, speed, average speed, time and clock but no light. Accuracy depends on how precise you measure the outside diameter of the wheel. They have cable (regular and long), wireless and GPS versions.
    But the main advantage is they will give a speed over 100km/h where many don't.
    glitch_oz likes this.
  11. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/endurance-ii

$45 on EBay and they are made for motorcycles.

I have one on my YZ426F and my Raptor 700.