1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Semi-philosophical questions about restoration...

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Charliechitlins, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Charliechitlins Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    81 xc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    78 honda xl125, 2001 Scorpa SY250
    Hey...I'm new here, and new to Huskys.
    I used to restore antique road bikes...mostly Harleys and Indians from the 30s, 40s and 50s.
    I watched that evolve from bikes winning shows because they looked REAL GOOD to folks getting a point deducted for having a part cadmium plated instead of parkerized, or not having the proper 5-point crimp on the terminal of your ignition wire.
    I understand that some love chasing that stuff, but it would have taken a lot of the fun out of it for me...I just kept making them look "real good" and continued having fun.
    I also watched prices go from $3k to $30k in a relatively short time.
    That took some fun out of it as well.
    So the question is...being that these are offroad competition machines that get flogged about in the dirt...
    If you guys "restore" a bike to be ridden, in general, how sticky are you about originality?
    Are you searching for original fasteners, or updating to, for instance, a nylock nut where there was once a nut and lock washer?
    Are you using a fender washer and a hardware store allen bolt to mount the shocks? Or are you searching out the proper hardware?
    Would a bike that had all the painstakingly-sourced correct parts be worth THAT much more than if it just had stuff that worked, maybe even worked better, knowing that the bike was going to be flogged in the dirt?
    I'm not talking about ones that would be on museum-style display.
    I know there isn't one answer for this, but is there a general feeling?
    I've been out of the American stuff for years now...just too expensive and I'm too poor to be playing what became a rich man's game.
    But I just got this Husky, and I'm having so much fun with it.
    The prices are like what I was paying for Harley and Indian stuff 30 years ago.
  2. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    First of all welcome to cafe husky . I have been helping a friend with his Maico collection going thru his bikes cleaning and resolving issues . Not all machines are as desirable or valuable as others which to us dictates how much time and effort goes into each bike . As a collector he feels stock is best but there are exeptions . Example , he has an 81 490 that we are under the suspition that it may have been a privateers national bike due to what was found while going thru it . It is modded but all the modifications appear to be period correct . Now as a rider , if you decided to replace the forks with a disc brake setup i’m sure it would work for a daily rider but then you go to sell it and buyer wants to use it for vintage racing , the buyer may need to go back to stock to be eligable for the class the stock bike should have been in and not be forced into a class with newer machines that it might not be as competitive in . I’m sure i just opened a can of worms but this is my opinion . Remember , it is only origional once .
    Steve-F likes this.
  3. Charliechitlins Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    81 xc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks.
    Maico collection, eh?
    Maybe another thing on my bucket list.
    I remember a guy asking me if I wanted to take his brand new, as yet to be fired 450 around the track (he didn't know how to ride it!!).
    This was the summer of 76 0r 77, making me 15 or 16.
    I rode an RM125 and I turned the guy down.
    That thing scared the crap out of me...I'd never even ridden a 250.
    But that aluminum tank and the rear tire that looked about a foot wide infested my brain.
    They used to say "Maico Break-o" but I'd be willing to risk it!
  4. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    And Maico Maico made of tin . Ride it out and push it in . Yeah , maico didn’t have a good reputation for reliability back then but they could be made to stay together . My buddy loves his Maico’s , in fact he doesn’t own a bike newer that a 2003 and that’s a maico too . But he does have an 81 420 auto that he thinks is like cheating when he rides it . I’ll say get your bike to where you’re happy with it and enjoy it for what it is . If you decide to change parts or upgrade , store the origional take off parts somewhere so if or when you decide to sell you may have more buyers deciding on a purchase and not limiting yourself selling your bike .
  5. Charliechitlins Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    81 xc250
    Other Motorcycles:
    The oldest version of that bit of doggerel I know of was about Harley Davidson...chanted by Indian riders.
  6. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    I rebuild (not restore) bikes. Original is best. Bultaco guys love having the correct Bulto (?) bolts and nuts on there. The old fiberglass and aluminum fenders were quite fragile. If I find them in good condition I set them aside and install plastic. I like to ride my girls so a nice gas tank usually goes on the shelf and plastic goes on. Upgraded shocks and fork internals are well received. Some people will go to ridiculous lengths and then not ride it.
    I have a TT500 that's gorgeous- I don't want to ding it up riding but at some point...

I guess the real question is do you want to ride it or look at it. Dirtbikes get dirty.
  7. Motoduc84 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1982 250 WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Duc MTS 620, Yam SR500, Suz RM 125B
    Welcome...and great question. I've had a few old bikes and this is my philosophy. I want it to look as good as it can for as old as it is! If it's forty years old, it needs patina, some scuffs, a little rust here and there. And I use the stock Husky tanks on my bikes. I want to feel good about it on race day, so that means it needs to look like a Husqvarna. But I understand folks who want to keep them pristine, too. Just my thoughts.
  8. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    I like to build these bikes and make them pretty much original. And I like to ride them . I tried to do an Enuro once on my recently rebuilt 72 450cr. A guy next to me at the starting line said, "Nice bike, your a better man than i am" , I wondered what that meant! Then we started the bikes and I didn't finish a lap. The bike killed me!! So now i just ride the dirt roads and some single track. The bike gets dirty and I give it a wash and she looks new again. Now my 83 500xc has never seen the dirt, Maybe some day!!. You gotta enjoy them either on the dirt or in the garage. I don't enjoy selling them though! Chris