Seizure At Speed

Discussion in '610/630' started by Skylane, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Skylane Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW, HD, Yamaha,Honda,Beta
    Hello--I have been a member for a while but never had the opportunity to post. Thank you for everyone's time in compiling and disseminated the information of Café Husky.

I have a te630 that has had "by the book" maintenance and currently has 8k miles. A couple of weeks ago I was on a 2 track dirt ride heading down the trail at about 50mph when the rear wheel seized. I guess I instinctively pulled the clutch and safely stopped.

I pulled the clutch side cover and found metal in screen (seepic3) The clutch basket springs and washers looks ok with only one small wear area (seepic1) . When I pulled the oil pump apart (see IMG_0074.JPG IMG_0071.JPG IMG_0078.JPG ) it looks grooved around the outside of the impeller and where the impeller rides in the case. Looks like something hard ran through it. I found more metal in the stator side in the oil screen receptacle. The valve train looks good,it shifts through all gears and it turns over with no major noises. I have checked the oil passages that I could with a tiny magnet and no metal. Where is the metal coming from?
  2. blueknob Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 harley davidson superglide
    looks like your missing some spring cup washers in the clutch basket
  3. Skylane Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, You are absolutely right. After looking back at previous photos on this subject I can see that mine are gone. It is a bit of a relief to know that there may be hope. Always learning!

What do you think about the oil pump? Does that look normal?
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  4. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    May very well be the cup washers. If it turns out you have 'em all then check the right hand side oil screen tube. The end cap of those sometimes come off and cause damage (mine did.) Now based on the amount of debris I'd say it's not that, but still. Let us know what you learn.
  5. Skylane Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for that. Checked screen and cap is on. I am going to upgrade the cup washers to the Indy washers. Since this is my first time inside this motor I just want to be sure to get it right. I like this bike.

Oh--Did you happen to check out the oil pump pics? Does that look normal?