1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Seeking advice on WR300 purchase.

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by PimpmasterJ, Dec 19, 2016.

1. PimpmasterJ Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te511
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR 800
    Hey guys new member here. I'm sorry if this is the wrong area for this thread but I searched and couldn't find anything.

Now I don't have a husqy yet but I'm seriously considering buying an 09 WR300. I have setup a time to go look at someone's bike and I'm just curious if there is a guide to buying one of these things or a list of some stuff I should look for.

Any kind of help would be appreciated, I'm just skeptical of Husqvarna in general. I used to have a KDX200 when I was younger and that thing was bulletproof and had a massive aftermarket. Little worried about jumping on a European bike.

Thanks and again sorry if this isn't the right board for the topic.
  2. Brian Scott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    '01 CR 500R
    These are pretty solid bikes if they have been well maintained. Some owners do and some don't (maintain well). It will likely be obvious when you see it. They are not known for any particular peccadillos other than some don't care for the ducati ignition (combined cdi and coil in one black box verses separate kokusan cdi and coils on '10 and older wr250/300s like all jap and euro bikes) and the thermostat on the '11 and newer models. The '09 model will not have these. Check everything you'd normally check on any other Jap two stroke. It's a used bike so it's likely that something peculiar has developed that needs a little attention. Compared to your kdx, kick starting the wr300 will be a labor of love until you perfect the technique. It comes w/the territory if you want a big bore. The kick starter location is a little wonky compared to all other modern 2 strokes. Live w/it. It's a small price to pay for this awesome bike. If all checks out ok and you take it home, assume you'll need to tear it apart to inspect and service nearly everything for piece of mind before you ride it since it is an 8 year old bike. Get a shop manual. Focus on getting it jetted correctly and suspension setup correctly and balanced. Use Loctite and check torque on everything. Have fun w/it if you take it. I love my '11 wr300! Over 4,000 miles and 350 hours and still going strong!
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I love my 300. I put in a JD racing jet kit and had the suspension sorted out for my weight and riding style. The only time I have a problem starting it is when it's really chilly and I'm starting it the first time for the day. In warm weather, or once the bike is thoroughly warmed up, it starts in 1 or 2 kicks. It handles so nice, turns on a dime and has lots of torque. a lot of people said that I would soon pick the WR125 as my favorite when I bought one of those, but it's been three years with both bikes, and I still don't know which one is my favorite. I know I like both of them better than the KDX220 that I used to own.
    Brian Scott likes this.
  4. PimpmasterJ Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te511
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR 800
    Yeah thanks for the advice guys, I did end up looking at the bike today and this dude was out of his mind asking 4k

I have an entire list of stuff that was wrong with the bike and I lowballed him for 3k to see if he'd even consider it and he told me he wouldn't go lower then 3.9k I chuckled and thanked him for his time and left.

Airfilter was pretty much black haha.
  5. bone Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 Buell Cyclone
    If you're talking about the one on craigslist in South Jersey, don't buy it. Don't even waste your time going. When I went to see it, it made no power at all, and the title he had was for a different VIN. This was back in the summer, and he's still relisting it on craigslist. It's a scam.

I ended up buying a different WR300 (2014) and couldn't be happier. Great bike.
  6. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    Where are you from? I have an excellent 09 wr250 that I would sell for a lot less than that. I listed on the classifieds here and on craigslist in St Louis and Springfield MO
  7. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Too bad you're not closer. With the advantageous exchange rate, you could have my '11 for about $2300
  8. PimpmasterJ Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te511
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR 800
    http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/5903275237.html

Is this the one you're talking about?
  9. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    Unfortunately, these bikes don't have the resale value as other bikes. I've considered selling my 300 and was going to ask about the $2,500 range, also. But, I think I'm going to hold on to it a little longer.
  10. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    It's true that the resale is low but so was the purchase price new. My new in the crate wr250 was $4,900 I figured I'd make it a 300 when it needed a top end but I liked the 250 better than several 300s that I rode including KTMs. I advertised my 08 yz125 for $2,500 and my Husky for about $2,800 and have had 7 interested in the YZ and zero calls on the Husky. I really wouldn't mind keeping both bikes but I really don't need 2 woods bikes, I figured I'd keep the one that doesn't sell.
  11. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Tell that to the people around here! I see people asking more for used ones than I know they sold for new. I don't have my 300 up for sale yet, but it will be priced at 2/3 of the other ones for sale locally, and it will actually sell.
  12. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    They aint worth 2 pinches of goat shit here really but as Doug stated cheap purchase price means cheap resale or ride til it dies n part it out
  13. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    The upside is we didn't pay 8K-9K for our bikes to begin with. An older used KTM might sell for 4K if it is really slick but they're still losing twice the money us dumb red Husky riders are... Oh yea and we didn't need 1K to fix the 4cs front forks.
    SmokeyExpress, Dirtdame and rancher1 like this.
  14. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

This is reality.
    SmokeyExpress likes this.
  15. shawbagga Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2018 Gasgas XC250
    Haha yeh I've tried to explain this to several ktm/berg riders who couldn't seem to understand!
    SmokeyExpress likes this.
  16. bone Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 Buell Cyclone

Yeah, that's the one. Somehow the price has gone up since the summer too, he originally had it for 3750. Is this the one you went to see?
  17. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Some people just believe it is better to lose 50% of $9000 than 50% of $6000, I never have understood the KTM rider math.
    Dirtdame likes this.
  18. PaulD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr250( sold)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint RS. Honda TRX300EX Be
  19. PimpmasterJ Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te511
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR 800
    Nope I went to see this one
    http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/mcy/5904848425.html

I appreciate the warning man. I just dodged a bullet haha. It turned out okay in the end, because a buddy I work with is offering me his 2014 TE511 for 4500 with 320 miles on it. I really wanted a 2 stroke that I could go on the road with but I can't pass this deal up.