Scheffelmeier Metall

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Geeza, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I have been in touch with Stephan in regards to the oil cooler for the Husky to discuss some issues that have been raised on the forums about the cooler design.

The first concern was a weld on the early production run coolers - the reply was that was a mistake in the design of the first oil cooler. This is a pic of the new design - no weld and re machine work.

DSC_0095.JPG

The second concern was the relief valve would not be able to operate with the flat bottom design - the reply was the oil cooler has space at the bottom that the oil can flow to the bypass valve and also i add a oil drain plug.

DSC_0094.JPG

Drain plug is a nice idea.

DSC_0096.JPG

Cooler comes with an extension tube and drain plug - see website http://www.bashplates.de/Husqvarna-Terra/Oil-cooler-for-Husqvarna-Terra::85.html

Have just received my cooler and I am very impressed with the quality of machining, finish and the design. Brought the wheel spacers and case saver as well, again very well made (just need some time to fit them).
    Also excellent support from Stephan, I would highly recommend Scheffelmeier products.
  2. tork Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Thanks for link I just got the chain guard ordered. Comes to $116 shipped to USA
  3. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Where does the cooler mount? Would like to see how it looks on the bike.
  4. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Looks like it is a replacement for the oil filter cover.
  5. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    spc380 likes this.
  6. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Thanks Baddrapp for posting a pic of the cooler on the bike, this was the prototype originally built for the GS - as we all know same engine, the production coolers have a different finish, anodised I believe - very nice! Yes it replaces the existing oil filter cover (thanks hasenpfeffer) and has an extension tube internally so you use the same Husky/BMW oil filter.

My next oil change is not due for a few weeks, will fit it then and post some pics. Will also add some of the case saver too :cool:
    PaulC likes this.
  7. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Cool. It looks very interesting and unique design. Wish we could have a before and after temps.
  8. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    So is it basically a heatsink that will be close to your shin on your right boot? Is it susceptible if you slide the bike on the road?
    Has anyone had any evidence of burnt or overheated oil in their bikes? A good oil changed at specified intervals will negate the need for a cooler unless sustained riding in high ambient conditions are encountered.
    Curious to put some heat stickers on my c/case and see how hot it gets.
  9. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I love positive people ;), heat sink by your right boot - will match the heat sink by your left - the exhaust. If you slide I doubt it will catch as it does not protrude past the bottom case. I am not expecting any evidence of burnt oil or overheating and using Motul 5100 changed regularly will also assist - however oil degrades so having a little more oil and possibly running cooler appeals to me.
    PaulC likes this.
  10. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Fair enough. I don't see the long term benefit of having oil that's possibly cooler than its optimal operating temperature.
    tr-downunder likes this.
  11. mario33 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra'13 - Lady in Red 2
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    Oil cooler is aimed at prolonged dirt use or racing when revs are high for significant period of time and therefore prone to overheating. Also prolongs oil lifetime and extends timespan between oil changes. Useful while on very long journeys. Eg. Husaberg 570 interval between oil changes is normally about 50mth (about 3000 km). Ive been told that with oil cooler that might double which makes it a viable ADV option.

Walter Colebatch (Sybirsky Extrene) is a big fan of the cooler. Tested the cooler during his 13.000 mile dirt adventure into Siberia up to Magadan.
    engineerk9 and PaulC like this.
  12. tork Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    IMG_20140327_074205_276.jpg

Very nice piece. Perfect fit and really beefy. Got in just over a week give them two thumbs up.
    Geeza and PaulC like this.
  13. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Fitted oil cooler and case saver today, all went well and like I said in my first post very impressed with the quality of machining, finish and the design.

Oil cooler 1.jpg

Oil Cooler 5.jpg

Oil cooler 2.jpg

Oil Cooler 3.jpg
    PaulC, Kenneth Webb and drzcharlie like this.
  14. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    IF you're increasing the volume of the oil system by adding the oil cooler do you need to proportionally increase the volume of oil to maintain the same oil pressure/volume in the system, or doesn't adding the oil cooler change the pressure or the effective volume ?
  15. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Yes the bike does require additional oil, I think it was around 200ml. Extensive research was done around this cooler on the BMW 650 - however I do not have exact figures.Hope this answers your question.
    How did you get on with CJ and your front forks?
    engineerk9 likes this.