1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Safari Tank Questions

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Guoseph, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda VFR800, KTM 525 EXC
    For those of you that have the Safari Tank for a 450/510, does your mounting hardware look like this:

[IMG]

Seems like something is missing on the part that goes around the bike frame.

Also, how do you clean the exterior of the tank? It's not 100% smooth so the "pits" have turned into "blackheads" that won't just wipe off.
  2. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    Anyone have experience w/ these tanks?
  3. Shovelhead85 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400R, '75 DT400B, FLH Shovel, CT90
    Strangely, on some white tanks (and translucents too) chlorine-based scouring powders (think Ajax, Comet) work pretty good. Make a thin paste, rub it vigorously without being too aggressive (it's slightly abrasive) and rinse off.

If you're worried about it being too corrosive, try it out on a small spot hidden somewhere first. It also works on fenders and side plates too. It probably works on colors but somehow all my discolored plastics are white.

This may not work on gasoline-permeated tanks (yellow-ish) but I can't remember. Also, remember to keep the acids and bases away from the powder to avoid chlorine gas being generated.

good luck.
  4. Bugsinteeth Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450, TXC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    The safari hardware is correct.

As pictured, the piece that goes around the down tube (left side) of the front frame is broken and missing a section. This portion of the tank brace should be two pieces (left & right) that completely surround the frame down tube and bolt together.

Should be fairly easy to fabricate/ bodge up something to replace the broken bit.

Good luck

Bugs
  5. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:

Do you use a scotchbrite pad? I'll try it out. When you say corrosive you mean it might eat through the tank? I am not worried about discoloration, my tank is white. I'd bleach it if I thought it worked.

Thanks for the info.

Alex
  6. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:

Hi Bugs,

Here's a rough picture of what I think you are describing, did I understand you correctly? The red is the missing aluminum bracket and the green is the bolt. It looks simple enough but I don't know how to cut or bend aluminum, I'll consult one of my neighbors who might be able to help.

[IMG]
  7. Bugsinteeth Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 450, TXC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    Yup.

Hard to express in words but the above picture depicts exactly the message I was trying to get across.

Rather than attempt to repair just the red section you might consider replacing the completete left side of the 2 piece box formation. No welding required if replacing the whole piece . It is actually a fairly simple piece. Make it out of steel/aluminum what ever is on hand.

Bugs.
  8. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:

Yeah I was thinking a whole new piece too. I wonder if steel might be better since the original aluminum broke (unsure of circumstance, came off a non running parts bike).
  9. Shovelhead85 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400R, '75 DT400B, FLH Shovel, CT90
    oh- no, not at all. Use a soft, damp cloth only. This stuff has silica or some other minor abrasive in it. Don't get too aggressive.

You ARE bleaching it with this method... ....AND cleaning with surfactants; this stuff is both. Corrosive: it can react with some metals (but I'm guessing not aluminum since it's for cleaning pots & pans). The tank- which is HDPE most likely, should be okay; just make sure you rinse everything off good and you'll be fine.

do a small test first.
  10. Guoseph Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:

Ok, got it. Thanks very much.