safari tank on te 630

Discussion in '610/630' started by buster1234, Nov 30, 2014.

1. buster1234 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph trophy
    wonder if anybody out there with a safari tank can help me. I ran out of gas the other day but I notice there was still 3to4inches from bottom of fuel left is this normal? The fuel pump can only go in one way so figure the pick up should be fine. Thanks Steve
  2. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
    3 to 4 inches on both sides of tank? maybe one of your cross over petcocks is closed? Also when I installed my Safari I remember having to bend the fuel pump sending unit assembly to optimize it to the lowest point possible in the tank.

_
  3. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    Ditto.

4. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    Can you elaborate on that mod some more?
    Is that lowering the pump's pick up, or the lower fuel level sensor, or both?
  5. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere

Technically not a mod as it was covered in the Safari tank install instructions. The pump's pickup and fuel level sensor are mounted on a metal arm. That arm is bent to position it lower in the right side tank lobe. Still doesn't go low enough as your low fuel light comes on premature but 3-4" remaining on each side seems quite high.

_
  6. Philthy Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yammy WR250f
    Ran mine dry a few weeks ago and there wasn't enough to slosh side to side. Yep, I'd check the valves are open on the crossover pipe first. Could you lean bike over to the right and gravitate more fuel across?
  7. badbowie Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had issue on my bike plenty of fuel but would not transfer across, the issue was the little c clip on the fuel tap on the balance line had somehow fallen off. Without the c clip the knob on the fuel tap just turns but does not open the valve.
  8. grinder96 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR800, XR80
    So I just got my safari tank and the arm of the fuel pump hits the bottom of the tank prior to the top part of pump sitting flat to clamp it down. I am going to bend the bar as mentioned above.

My other issue is did you use the existing fuel pump to tank gasket? Just gas tanks has in text on their site that a new gasket will ship out with all tanks but I did not get one. Was there a leak issue with these tanks?
  9. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    The justgastank note reads: "7-8-14: Updated gaskets for the EFI pump will be shipped with all tanks. There will not be an update to the tank as first thought."

Yes, its a good idea to inquire about that gasket. Is this for your 610 or 630? Some folks have had great success with the tanks. Others (including me - 610 version) have found that the plastic flange is poorly molded and the flange walls are thin and not level (see this thread). You can test your tank by holding a flat edge against pairs of brass bushings. If you can see any air gap between pairs of bushings, you may have a problem. It may be possible to fix this by sanding the flange area flat, or by trying a thicker gasket to fill the gap - I'm assuming that is what justgastank's note is about. But if you do find a gap and it is more than a few mm, my advice would be to contact justgastanks with some pictures, and consider getting a replacement. I didn't do that and I still have issues with leaking.
  10. grinder96 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    VFR800, XR80

thanks for the input.
    It is for my FI 630. I was looking at the build quality and noted how thick I thought the flange was so your statement kind of surprised me. Maybe they beefed it up because of previous complaints.

I sent an email to JustGasTAnks and I am awaiting their reply regarding the gasket.
  11. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    I've heard of leaking issues with the 610 Safari tank, and the 630 Stock tank... go figure. If you are on the 630 you are probably fine.
  12. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Received my tank a month ago. The larger oring was not included but they sent one out right away. Looking forward to the backroads Super Tanker!