1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Safari tank install on 2009 TE 450 HELP

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by rocky4by, Jan 24, 2012.

1. rocky4by Husqvarna
    AA Class

Has anyone else on the board here with a 2009 TE450 have trouble installing a Safari after maket tank? Mine doesn't fit,... seat lacks 3/4 inch from even going on. Also the front slotted lug is lacking about a 1/4 inch from being able to go down and on. I have measured the stock tank from the back center hole to the center of the front slotted hole, The stock tank is 16-1/4 and the Safari is 15-1/2 seems like the lug holes are in the wrong place? Any information on a fix would be great.
    Thanks,Steve.
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I bought an IMS last year, struggled with it, got another one, returned them both, went in another direction. Here's 2 things I did to make the aftermarket tank fit:

I used a Dremel to grind some of the front post on the bike to allow the front of the tank to settle down to the frame.

Underside of the seat, up front, I Dremeled the area to make the slot deeper, and the 2 slots in the seat that underhook on the frame hooks, allowing the seat to slide forward a little more.

When I went back to my stock tank, I had to make adjustments to these mods.
  3. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    Couple question:
    Is the safari tank different from the IMS?
    Is the 2009 TE450 different from the 2008?
    I have the IMS 3 gal tank on my 08TE450 and assumed the 09 is the same because of the part number from IMS is the same for both years. I also just picked up a new 09TE450 and was going to swap bike parts to see compatability.
  4. MontyCarlo Husqvarna
    A Class

Look at the spot where the top frame downtube (moving back from the top triple) splits into two tubes - the ECU should be mounted underneath for reference. There are a couple of Molex connectors sitting in that frame gusset, and you may have to move them out of the way. I was having a heck of a time making my IMS tank fit until I noticed that those connectors were holding everything up, as a little bump in the bottom of the tank fits into the gusset. I imagine the Safari tank tries to make use of that small piece of real estate as well.

What OHRider says might help as well, but check for those connectors before you start grinding away at the seat.
  5. rocky4by Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the replies, I'm waiting to hear back from Just-tanks, Ben said he would call Australia to see whats up? he also said they have sold about 30-40 of these and have not had this issue. I have thought about cutting the front boss off the frame and moving it back about a 1/2inch, I would also have to take out the same amount in the bottom of the seat notch holddown. This is just a bummer, we should not have to be fooling around with fitment issues I have been reading otherposts for about three years now that have had so many issues, looks like lots have been sent back and many have gave up with the idea of a nice larger tank. They have had plenty of time to be heard and make things correctly. There is only IMS and Safari after market tanks for us Husky guys. Just doesent seem like it would be that hard to get a quility part. If one of you guys dont mind pulling your tank maybe a quick check to see how good Husky was at getting the mounting boss in the same place, would be a good check. That would be from center of the front boss to the center of one of the rear boss, Mine is 16-1/16. Well with all that said, Just-tanks is very supportive and I'm sure Safari will be to, both company have good reputaions.
    Thanks,Steve.

Attached Files:

6. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I ALMOST took up Ben on his offer of a Safari for 10% off when I gave up on the IMS tank last year. Based on those pics, I'm glad I didn't do it.
  7. PALMER84ONE Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE450 THE ROCKET
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 RS520, CRF150F/230F, YZ250
    How does that tank utilize the electronic fuel pump and pick up fuel from the wings? Looks like it should be on the TXC.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I know it sucks but of you really want that tank thats what I would do. Not a huge ordeal but kinda sucks. Might as well have a damper post welded on to if you plan to run one while you move the front tank mount.
  9. benwiggin2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 HD Dyna
    is that a stock seat? FWIW I had to shoehorn my IMS onto my 08 510 te and have had no problems.
  10. cbreakin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    Thats frustrating. I have a safari tank on mine, it took some fiddling and and moving connecters around like mentioned above, but I must say when everything was done the tank fit a little better than stock.
  11. Mine fit fine, same tank, same bike. From the pics it sure seems like the tank is not forward enough. You need to put the cross brace on last and make sure its facing the the right way.
  12. rocky4by Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ok I did get the tank on. Yes a little fiddling and a little filing, I took about 1/16 off of all three posts the tank sits on, it was painful to do that but it really is not affecting anything, the stock tank still goes on just fine. The seat did need the front lug notch opened up about 1/2inch. I'd like to have a little more leeway on the front post as the tank is snug but fits well. Ben at Just Gas Tanks was great! He called me after hours on his way home.....he spoke to the owner of Safari Tanks who said the measurement is correct on the mount spacing and the tanks are made like that for expansion. When they are warm and full they expand, so they suggested I heat the tank up a little bit, which I did by hanging it above my woodstove. I warmed it up until it was warm to the touch and it slide on the mount, so it did grow some just by doing this. Thanks to all for the input and my tank is now ON! :) &%*$&*

Attached Files:

13. aclaver Husqvarna
    C Class

Mine fit fine, too.
    My bike is a TE450 2010.
  14. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    I dont have a Safari tank but I have never heard of any issues with ANY of their products. TRAILZONE (local Australian Mag) did a spot on the owner and the company. The manufacturing process involves casting one tank at a time from a precision cast mold.
    The facility is in rural Australia, and was probably a 35-40C day!
  15. duggoey Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 690, Yamaha WR200, FGS650(800cc)
    The relevance of the temperature being that it may contribute to a larger mold due to expansion? I suppose this could be considered a Q/C issue if the tanks were primarily targeted to Euro/US markets. But saying that Australia does have a few areas that receive considerable snow fall and low temps, but havent heard of any issues again.
  16. rocky4by Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well I do have the tank installed and I'm glad I worked through the few issues, I really like it so far. The weight feels very low still and the tank is very solid.
    Thanks for all the replies.

Attached Files:

17. ozzie Husqvarna
    AA Class

I like the sticker kit where did you get it from??

Kel
  18. rocky4by Husqvarna
    AA Class

The sticker is also from Just-Gas-tank. com Ben the owner through it in because of the fitment issuse I had with this Safari tank. The sticker kit is very good quality and I do like it but , it could fit the tanklines just a hair bit better.
    Thanks,Steve.
  19. Blur Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 510,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM XC300, Suzuki VStrom 1000
    I am on my second Safari tank for my 2009 TE 510. The first one developed a small crack after a significant crash. Anyway 2 tanks on the same bike and they seemed to fit slightly different. The first one was a breeze but the second one was more painful. I found that it was very difficult to get the back end to sit down on the pins that come out of the frame. Just kept fiddling and pushing while trying to see what was happening with the pins and it went on eventually. You should not have to cut and move anything on the frame. The trick was to get low and try to see it fitting on the pins. And of course make sure there are no wires or ties around the frame that might hold it up.
    It is worth the effort as my range is better then any of my buddies bikes. I never have to carry extra gas.
  20. al jorgensen My first motorized vehicle had a Husky engine

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    630, 610, WXE 610, TE 450, WXE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Mostly Italian Stuff
    I know this is an old tread but I have recently acquired an 09 TE 450 with a Safari Tank already installed. On my very first (and only) ride to date I run out of gas while the left side of the tank (translucent) still had gas in it. So I laid the bike down and moved enough gas over to the right side to get me to a gas station (barely). I am just now going through the bike in detail and wonder if there is no crossover hose to move fuel from left the to the right side of the tank? I have a TE 630 with a Safari Tank and it has a crossover hose in the front.