RotopaX tank

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Link, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Link Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia, Honda, HD
  2. vodka Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra ABS
    Other Motorcycles:
    R1200R , Yamy WR250R

Checkout liquidcontainment.com.au I have 8 litre bag and plan to get 2x 7 litre jerry can bags and possibly 2 x4 litre bags for up front .

That would be 14 oem + 30 = 44 litres total all collapsable and able to be move around the bike. Upfront weight to be avoided in soft stuff. Then theres the water............
    Link likes this.
  3. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    Link likes this.
  4. v12gte Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, MV Agusta
    I see the hourglass mounts you had used to mount these Rotopax cans, but I am assuming that the flat piece of metal in between the cans and the bars was custom-fabricated? It also has straps which hang the plate on the crash bars?
    Link likes this.
  5. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    I used the Wolfman mounting plate made for the Wolfman saddle bag racks. You could easily fabricate a similar plate from aluminum plate. It mounts to the crash bars with three rubber lined conduit straps available at any hardware store. The setup is solid, and comes off in a few minutes after the trip so I can mount my Storm crash bar bags.

Normally I carry gas on one side and water on the other as I would be in camping mode. Extra water is nice for coffee and camp food preparation.
    Link likes this.
  6. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    I have 1 gallon Rotopax setup that mounts to my Nordic Cycles tail rack.

[IMG]

[IMG]

This works well enough. I'm thinking about how I might add 2 gallons if needed. They make a 1.75 gal Rotopax (they claim will hold 2.0 Gal when completely filled) also which probably makes more sense.

I have been thinking about fabing some mounts to work with my SW-Motech luggage racks, just a thought for now.

It might look something like this.

[IMG]

Or I might make mounts for inside of my SW-Motech racks to hold a couple MSR bottles.

Kinda like this.

[IMG]
    Link likes this.
  7. Link Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia, Honda, HD
    Good ideas all! I am intrigued by the bladders, hmmm! I am leaning towards the 1.75 and putting it on the rear rack.
  8. eca Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Interceptor (sold)
    I use one mounted on the side, works well and has never let me down.

IMG_20140527_103759.jpg
    Link likes this.
  9. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    I tried a double stack on the tail rack but didn't like all the weight up there, plus it's really hard on the rack.

[IMG]

I ended up developing this dual RotoPax jug setup for the last ride I did. I like this setup much better than on the tail rack. The weight of the jugs is carried by the passenger footpegs. The mounting plates only hold the jug in position.

The benefits are it's much better balanced/weighted and you can refill the jugs while mounted on the bike. That turned out to be a real bonus.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

and with the luggage installed.
    [IMG]
    nev.., rride, drzcharlie and 2 others like this.
  10. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    That set up is really well done. Thanks for sharing it.
    Link likes this.
  11. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA
    I've had my RotoPax tank for a while now and planed to use it on both my Terra & TE511. Fro my upcoming TAT trip I wanted the extra fuel but didn't want to carry the weigh up so high so I started to look for a way to create a mount it to the side of my racks when I came up with the perfect plan.

In the mid to late 80's there was a G&S (Gordan & Smith, made skate & surf gear) fad of wearing bands that looked like this:

It's just a simple velcro band but using two 12" and two 18" lengths allowed me securely mount my gas can on the side and I bought a water tank as well to even the weight out. These are the factory Husky racks for the Givi hard bags but you should be able to do this with any tubular rack. My saddle bags easy fit over the cans.

Attached Files:

nev.. and Link like this.
  12. danketchpel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Moto Guzzi, Ducati, Beta
    I just finished reworking a different Rotopax mounting setup as I'm configuring the bike for extended 2 up day rides. This bike is becoming sorta like a transformer, just change things around as needed for the current mission. My old setup blocked the passenger pegs so that was a no go for riding 2 up. I'm almost done with my "real" passenger seat setup which I'll post when it's finished, hopefully next week.

This setup just mounts the jugs on the SW-Motech racks. We won't be camping off the bike for our next Adventure ride in Utah so this setup made good sense and was straight forward. The plates are 0.10" aluminum and I put a 0.060" ABS skin on top of them.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    duibhceK and PaulC like this.