1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Right side seal

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Eddie Gaines, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Eddie Gaines Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    none
    What would cause a new seal to go bad,engine was rebuilt right side, viton seal.
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    improper installation, worn crank stub
  3. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    Vinton does not really mean much to me. I think in terms of double lipped. At least that one can be changed without splitting the cases. It resides in an aluminum piece held on with four small machine screws behind the I guess it is an alternator. (for the stuff I have, no year or model in this thread that I see)

As to possible reasons to fail.

Sat on shelf for many years
    Spring that goes around the inner lip escaped
    Heat damage from positioning the bearing

Maybe the lower end filled with liquid perhaps race gas containing dangerous chemicals. Only seal I had go bad was the big one on the other side and that engine had some strange corrosion on the connecting rod. (and it was not new) It was an auto so not magnesium case.

Fran
    Eddie Gaines likes this.
  4. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    Back when I was racing I had a brand new ignition side crank seal fail immediately on a fresh rebuild... Honda two stroke... cost me a race and a piston.

Honda gave me a new seal after a factory inspection revealed a manufacturing defect. (I didn't see anything wrong with it, nor did the local dealer, dealer sent it to Honda). I knew it was a bad seal because I learned to pressure test a failed engine before teardown.

That "bad brand new seal" experience taught me to always pressure (and vacuum) test a two stroke even when new parts are used. You just never know.

(A few years ago I had a brand new YZ85 from the dealer with a fairly significant intake manifold leak... I pressure tested it before it was ridden for the first time... )
    Eddie Gaines likes this.