Riding Season?

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by miketv, Oct 22, 2008.

1. miketv Husqvarna
    A Class

Greetings folks,

I was just wondering how long people ride their Huskys into the cold weather and if there are any tips for running and maintaining a TE 610 in the cold. The only real concern I have right now would be a cold battery as it was "balmy" 33degrees this morning when I headed to work and even though the bike started, it needed a bit of coaxing with the choke on. Not having a kicker is also a bit worriesome if the battery goes kaput.
    My 68 BMW R60 was a champ in the winter months with little maintenence and always started with a few kicks, the old girl was not the fastest but was utterly reliable no matter what the weather was. Should have never sold that one :banghead:

Being in Ohio there are a handfull of nutters (like me) that ride as long as there is no snow or ice on the roadways. We also still ride trails with the exception of deer gun hunting season.

cheers,

Mike
  2. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

I ride my 450 whenver I like. I've had it for 1 year and never had a problem with the battery. Usually ride from March to Dec. here in NC, though sometimes you have to wait untill the afternoon. The cold has never seemed to affect my bat. I think letting it sit does more harm. The cold/hot won't start getting to it until it has more use on it.
  3. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I'll ride the TE610E until the salt trucks start spreading. Too much cleaning salt off, for the time riding on the road in the winter. I keep trail riding the WR125 and put studded tires on once the snow falls. When the snow gets too deep, switch to the snowmobile. If the sled trails get nice and packed, break out the bike again. If we have a low snow year, I don't cry! I just keep the cover on the sled and keep riding the bike. I used to Flat Track on the frozen lakes, but sold that bike to buy the sled and don't regret it. I'm glad I have some areas I can ride during Deer season. Archery and Gun Season in my area is from begining of third week in October to almost Christmas and they want to lengthen it! In March the snow is still on the ground and we head south to New Jersey for the first sand enduros of the year.
    Norman
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Riding "season"...

Hmmm...

I live in California.
    My riding season begins on Jan 1st and ends on Dec 31st :thumbsup:

WoodsChick
  5. rawperformance Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TC450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 TTR125, 2008 TTR110, 2008 PW50
    I usually take January off. Stud tires in the winter.
  6. North Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te610
    Other Motorcycles:
    530 ktm 1200GS
    I ride all year round here in Vancouver. Although, I stay off the roads if there's Black Ice. :eek:

This is my First winter with a Husky, but I don't see any problems that heated grips and a vest will not take care of.:D I will also hook the bike up to a battery tender.
  7. miketv Husqvarna
    A Class

grrrr, I'm jealous! My folks live just outside Ontario and dad still rides up to Big Bear on his XRL650 to goof around. One of these days I'm going to have to move;)
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Never been Jealous of Cali:busted:
  9. mxracernumber1 Husqvarna
    A Class

rub it in...

I know. My brother lives in SD. When it's 100 deg. & 99% humidity, my brother says "it's 79 deg. here". When I call in Jan. and it's 35 deg. and raining, my brother says "it's 69 deg." here. You guys have it sooo easy...