Riding partner in North Jersey

Discussion in 'East - USA' started by mscott, Nov 14, 2011.

1. mscott Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looking for a riding partner in North Jersey, I'm a class B rider. I like to ride the gnarly stuff. I ride a 2011 TE250 fmf pipe and power commander, so far i like it compared to my 08 KTM 250XCW I like the torque of the four stroke also very light. I'm willing to travel.
  2. Kevin Sorce Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250, Aprilia RST1000
    Hi. Where in North jersey are you? I'm in Stockholm. I have a bunch of trails literally 1/2 mile from my house and its a bit rural so most people ride on the road to get to the trail heads. As far as class of rider, I haven't rejoined AMA yet since I wasn't doing any events but would classify myself as an intermediate rider and mostly prefer technical stuff. I like a challenge. I'm 49 and rode dirt from when I was 10 to about 20, then only rode street for many years, then got back into dirt about 4 years ago. I have a 99' Husky 250 that I rebuilt last year and also a Honda CRF for my 4 stroke fix. I will admit I do like the 4 stroke for the technical stuff and was contemplating getting a Husaberg FE450. I like the 2 stroke in some situations, particularly faster trails, especially for when I can open it up a bit.
  3. mscott Husqvarna
    AA Class

I live in Piscataway NJ, I mostly ride up north in Oak Ridge NJ, we ride in the same area. Let me know if you would like to get together and ride. I was suppose to ride today, but it sucks driving up there and to ride by myself.
  4. Kevin Sorce Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Do your ride on the back side of the reservoir in Oak Ridge? That leads right near my house. I'm not doing too much riding yet this winter, even though it has been mild. Besides the regular riding I did, I went with a friend of mine to ride in West Virgina to Hatfield McCoy for 3 days, then shortly after that I went to Lost Trails in PA (sucked). From those long rides, especially Lost trails which was ALL rocks non stop, I have a bit of tendonitis or a tear in my left forearm. So doing PT for it and trying not to abuse it. So in the interim I'm rebuilding the engine on my Husky. I also have a Honda CRF230 I could ride, but I overwhelm the suspension on it within 10 minutes of riding. By early spring I will be ready to attack again with either the Husky or a newer big bore 4 stroke that I will replace my CRF230 with. Also I see from your ID pic you ride street? I also have an Aprilia RST1000, and recently sold a Ducati Monster.
  5. Kevin Sorce Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just about ready for riding. While I have my Husky motor torn down I finally found a new bike for my 4 stroke fix - a 2011 Husaberg FE450. I've ridden it a little and am very impressed so far. The suspension soaks up everything around here nicely and you know what these woods are like. I will probably pull the forks and shocks and send them to WER for slight lowering and re-valve.

Also have rehab'd my left forearm to 90% and it didn't bother me on a ride the other day so good to go. Have you been riding any up this way?

Attached Files:

• hus4.jpg
      hus4.jpg
      File size:
      113.2 KB
      Views:
  6. Kevin Sorce Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    P.S. The new Husaberg is plated so that makes it much nicer to skip across any open road sections when required!
  7. Jornum1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Buell 1125r
    Hey Mscott, small world man. How have you been? Havent seen you on the Buell forum much. Hope your still riding the cr.
    I have a 06 TE450, you guys are way over my skill level though. I am pretty novice on two wheels in the dirt. Would love to find some places to ride other then my little 15 acre plot I have here North Haledon. Its fun, but way too small for my 450 to stretch its legs.
    Just wanted to say whats up since there were some other north jersey guys chiming in.
  8. Kevin Sorce Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Within the next 2 / 3 weeks I will be ready for riding again so if you want to link up we can explore the trails up here. My Husky is still apart but I acquired a Husaberg FE450 over the winter. I just need about 2 weeks to pop off the suspension and have Drew over at WER lower and revalve it for me.
  9. Jornum1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Buell 1125r
    Thanks Kevin, I'd like that. Sorry for the delay I thought I followed the thread but didnt get a notification.

With work and family obligations I am pretty busy but would love to get the husky out on some open trails. I am working some kinks out on mine.
    I have a serious clutch whine that I cant figure out. Seems to work fine, but has a constant whine whenever the clutch is engaged. I need to pull it apart again and see what I can find. I also am trying to get her back to street legal as the PO was a enduro guy and stripped it down.

I see you have a Aprilia street bike too, I ride with a group of good guys usually in the sussex area(where I grew up). If you ever want to meet up with some good guys who ride spirited but safe hit me up. Its mostly Buell guys, but we welcome anyone who rides smart and respectful. Thats where I met mscott as well.
  10. KC250 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE250
    If anyone would like to come ride the trails by me in Browns Mills feel free. I rode 25 miles of trails from my house the other day without riding the same one twice.
  11. Jornum1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Buell 1125r
    Thanks KC, that would be great. Your a bit of a hike, but if I ever get some free time maybe I will hit you up. Sounds like you have a little piece of heaven there i central NJ.
  12. Kevin Sorce Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hmmm that doesn't sound fun what you mentioned about the clutch whine. Was there a qualifying event that made it start happening, like after an oil change or other work to the bike? If you get your bike street legal that opens up a bit more options to hop from one riding area to another. However, even without a plate there are some nice trails that are accessible near me.

I certainly know what you mean about balancing work and family obligations as that has always had some affect on my riding freedom! Within a few weeks I will have my newer Husaberg FE450 ready. I'm just waiting to get the suspension to WER to lower and revalve / respring it (too tall for me for tight trails!). About another month or so of part time work on my Husky 250 that I'm rebuilding the motor on and that will be ready too.

Also, once we start getting the warmer weather, hopefully this month, I'll be riding my Aprilia again and yes, I would like to link up with you guys for a ride. I definitely consider my street riding spirited but safe. I'm certainly more cautious these days compared to the WOT runs of my early 20's!
  13. Jornum1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Buell 1125r
    Very cool, I a definitely planning to get the husky back on the street.
    I might just need signals and a mirror really. I have a head and tail light.

My only concern is the clutch, but I am seriously considering a autoclutch because of the tight terrain I have in my small plot of woods. Lots of logs and rocks to crawl over. But I dont want to put out the $ for that until I get the other things sorted out.

Sounds like we are very much in the same boat as far as riding style. Not sure if I am not supposed to post another forum, but its just a small local street riding community. www.njbuellowners.com/forum. We used to be 99% Buell owners. But since the company was shut down by HD, many have moved on. As well as we invite anyone of similar riding style to join up. Its more just a place to organize rides in the NJ area.
  14. Kevin Sorce Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    BTW do you have a regular title for your Husky? if you do, don't go overboard with lighting. For the most part you need the very basic necessities, head and tail light and brake light and a fold away mirror. There is no more inspection in NJ so only a State police officer would really take a deeper notice of your equipment provided you have a plate, registration and insurance card. My Husaberg is equipped exactly as described and I have a NJ plate on it.
  15. Jornum1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Buell 1125r
    yeah I hear ya. I do have a title for it. But since I may be riding it on the street a little around town and such I will put signals on. Real low profile but enough to be seen. Too many crazies out there not to have signals IMO. I am kinda a wiring junkie so I like doing all that stuff.

BTW whats the word with your riding area? Hit me up via pm or email if you dont want to talk about it on here. I am very interested considering your so close. But at the same time I am still a bit of a newb off road on two wheels. I rode my whole life growing up. My family owned a 90 acre farm up in wantage.
    Like you said, I too am not quite as ballsy as I was in my teens and 20's now especially when it comes to LEO's :-)
  16. RacerXS Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09' TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    12' BMW GS 1200
    papi4baby likes this.
  17. Jornum1 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Buell 1125r
    Thanks, I am on advrider as well. I would love to get into the enduro's and HS's but free time is at a premium. Dedicating a whole day or weekend to go down south or out west is tough for me.
    Maybe some day when my little guys are big enough to join me ;-)
  18. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV

Racer XS did they reschedule that race ?? I knew they canceled due to dry weather... I ride in the state forest down there a lot with the enduro guys... I like Hare Scrambles and try and ride a handful as year... I see you live one town over from me...
  19. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I'm in No NJ and ride all over the place.

let me know.
  20. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV
    Do you ride in the Pine Barrens ???