1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Restoring Rims

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 1982 XC 430, Aug 29, 2010.

1. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello, was wondering what people do to there Rims as far as finishing. As near as I can tell (1982) they were painted from the Factory. So I could Paint them myself or Powder Coat them. Has anybody had them Gold anadized? I was planning on buying new Rims in Gold but they arn't to popular it looks as thow the Sun Rims are about the only option left and they will eat up a buget quik.
  2. flamepainter78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi, I use rust-oleum metallic gold. It hold up well and save lot of money. Doug.
  3. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thats what I used on my Forks with good results. Looking closer at the Rims I see they were Anodized and not Painted. Anybody have a good Anodizing shop? The minium charge on one local shop scrares me away but there are more shops around.
  4. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some

Attached Files:

5. Trailridernut Husqvarna
    A Class

I used to take the least expensive method - I buy another set on evilbay for well under $100. I have managed to collect so many of them I'm selling several off! The only thing is they are not show qaulity but I use mine for racing... relace with Buchanin(sp?) spokes and off I go!

The problem with paint or powder coating is they become scratched easily. I have powdercoated and painted several frames and prefer p. coat but they chipped easily and you can't touch it up - I wound up painting as it could be touched up easily/cheapily.
  6. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have shoulder Akronts...I have found replacements..BUT I had the original rims straightened/trued..& just polished them..
  7. Hwy Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '86 510TX / '90 250WXE / '87 510TE
    Other Motorcycles:
    '04 KTM 525MXC / '91 KTM 300DXC
    What's your budget?
  8. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Well the buget is blown at this point I just ordered a Pair of Sun Rims. As far as I know they are the only Rim avalable in Gold at this time. Anyway they are on the way.
  9. crankpin Husqvarna
    B Class

You'll be much happier with the Sun rims.

Here's my HL wheels which I've just had built :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

10. madamimadam Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 430 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 Yz250, 2014 WR450
    If you don't mind, what was the cost. I too have a 82 430 XC and looking to replace my rims. Where and how did you order the wheels, sizes etc.
    Thanks Adam
  11. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The Sun Rims are sold and made today by Buchanan's in California. They are the same as the old Sun Rims only different. They are the same shape and size, but the marks on them are different. The Sun slogan is gone, and it has been replaced by a Sun by Buchanan stamping. And there are some other marks that are different. This of coarse only maters for a restoration when trying to duplicate a bike which came with Sun Rims stock ( KTM and a few others ) They also sell Spoke kits, and offer full service for wheel rebuilding.
    Excel Rims are also sold in the Gold color, or I should say that they have been in the past, and they may or may not be selling them currently. Buchanan sells them and can drill them for vintage Husqvarna.
    Pro Wheel sells gold rims as well but I doubt that they can drill them for a Drum Brake Husqvarna
    Perfect Circle is a new guy on the block and is selling gold rims for vintage bikes. I ran into Him at a local show and He was looking at my 82 430 and told him I had some spare Hubs etc as he was interested in providing wheels for them. However he never called to get anything so I don't know if anything happened. His Rims are a very bright Gold where the Sun Rim is a darker Gold.
    I will say that the Sun Rim is the heaviest and probably the strongest, and the other Rims are like the Rims sold on modern bikes which are lighter weight.
  12. watto450 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1965 250, 1978 390 Auto, 1983 510 TX
    If you look in my item about the 1983 510 4t..it shows how my rims came out after re-anodising....also the "black is beautifull" item from our French friend... you wil se how his turned out... mine cost $100 each rim (AUD) to re-anodise...so fairly expensive.. but if you already have the stock Nordisk rims and would like to look authentic..
  13. Gord Husqvarna
    AA Class

I took the inexpensive way out. I sandblasted, then clear coated them. They came out great and the clear has held up well.
  14. madamimadam Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 430 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1996 Yz250, 2014 WR450
    Hi Watto,
    Where did you have your rims re-anodized? I’m in Brisy.
    Cheers
  15. watto450 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1965 250, 1978 390 Auto, 1983 510 TX
    I'm In WA.. a place called Camera Dynamics in Landsdale.. I also had a reasonably "new' rim as a colour guide..