1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Restoring 2011 Husky TE250

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by EUROJulian, Feb 22, 2017.

1. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    [IMG]

New TXC ECU. This is a part I am excited about. I hope it clears flat spot out of closed throttle that I understand is common for TEs and in general improve drivebilility
    In prep for new ECU am baselining my system, injector and induction cleaned, temp sensor new and white, spark plug new, throttle body and butterfly cleaned, cleaned air filter, new exhaust.
    I am toying with redo of fuel pump assembly but this perhaps can wait. I want to wrap it up before weekend to go riding with friends. Still fork jobs needs to be done.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  2. Xicobombas Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TE 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '08 Kawasaki ER6N
    Got one of that... maybe that's why my ECU number doesn't match the frame VIN.
  3. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Its most likely default VIN number. In general one should be able to write actual VIN using service tool. I do not know how mikuni tool is set up to do that though. I need that cable and software
  4. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    I hang exhaust yesterday and pull down one fork leg. I have to address thermal insulation for midpipe. I think I am going to go with 2010 Husky 510 SS shield is avaliable from OEM. I like carbon fiber option Husky used to sell, but I am not shelling 100 bucks for it... Pipe looks really nice, super light but do looks fragile. Let's see how it holds up.
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  5. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
  6. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Fork Seal Job:
    Did one fork today. Wife make me grill some pork for dinner and was dark before I knew it. Messy job, try to keep work area clean and free from outside grime. I use contractor paper for lining of work surface. Another thing I do is to soak new seals in oil for couple of days.
    [IMG]

Took me few minutes to come up with seal driver design and making it. I settled for 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe that I hot formed to fork tube outside diameter. Important is to chamfer inside of contact surface so seal lip is not stressed.
    [IMG]
  7. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Here is Moskal doing fork seals the right way. I am adding grease to space between seal proper and dust seal the way he recommends. I want that driver kit he has some day.... Moskals are safety lacking by design, Do wear good gloves around solvents and strap that bike to a stand.

View: https://youtu.be/okUJd0Nru3M
  8. MotoXImage Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    2000 XR 400
    I changed the fork oil a few weeks ago to Bel Ray 5wt @120mm oil level. Huge difference. I weigh 160 and as recommended years ago that is like magic. Gone is the harsh mid stroke and jackhammer on washboard roads. Do yourself a favor even if you just put 7.5 in and put 5wt in.
    Are you looking for this? http://www.husqvarnafactory.nl/pdf/2011/2011_WSM_TC-TXC-TE_250-310.pdf
    Or perhaps this? http://www.dualsportbc.com/photogallery/data/906/1manual_2011_te_tc_txc_250-310.pdf
    Suspension info was found here. http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=86452
    R_Little likes this.
  9. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    There is 27 degree Celcius outside in this very moment down here. I wonder what was ambient when you were riding last on 7.5 weight oil. I would assume at least 10 degrees C less or even more cooler.
    I have bottle of Motul 5 weight sitting on my shelve, that is waiting for Kawi fork job, but I just spent 20 bucks to get bottle of PJ 7.5 Weight delivered. Economy call is simple. What was bought needs to be used. I will try 5 weight if I am not happy with suspension and observing symptoms you guys describe.
    For two fuel tanks worth of riding I was able to do before benching the bike I found suspension on the soft side. Front was busy at highway speed. That might be due to low level in left fork due to prolonged leaking. I will see what baseline is as new before messing with it.
  10. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Potential discrepancy for torque on front axle pinch bolt. VTM page 359 calls for 10.4 Nm. Those are M8x1.25 bolts not M6. What do you guys think?
    [IMG]
  11. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Electrical Work: Making durable harness,
    Blinkers
    [IMG]
    Starter solenoid area
    [IMG]

Running to close to exhaust , Mickey mouse fix by PO

[IMG]

Good ole duct tape for thermal insulation then corrugated loom
    [IMG]

Finished routing of left side

[IMG]
  12. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    That is the correct torque. 7.7lbs. I recently had one start twisting apart at that low torque setting and replaced with some better shouldered bolts from my local ace hardware. I thought the same thing when I read the manual. The bolts husky used are pretty sub par when it comes to quality. I have replaced a fair amount due to the threads shearing off too when trying to set them to their proper torque. Fortunately my ace hardware has a nice selection of metric fasteners. IMG_0092.JPG This was my axle pinch bolt that started twisting apart. I could feel something wasn't right when tightening it and I got lucky I was able to remove it without it snapping. IMG_0089.JPG New pinch bolts.
    hillbilly likes this.
  13. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    I am not buying Ford. Standard torque for M8 bolts per manual is twice that. Around 22 Nm. The same bolts hold fork tubes BTW.
    How you could stretch M8 bolt with 10 Nm the way picture shows beats me, what was diameter of the bolt?.. 10 Nm is a standard torque in manual for M6 bolts.
  14. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    The bolts aren't that strong that husky used. I thought I had stripped out the aluminum in the fork leg at first. You would think that the steel bolt would be stronger than the aluminum, but in these m6 bolts, that doesn't seem to be the case. That's an m6 bolt for the axle pinch bolts that twisted like that. Funny enough, that was the last bolt out of the four that I was torquing down when that twisted. You are correct, the fork tubes are held on with m8's. Unfortunately these bolts are hit and miss with there quality. Thinking back, m6 bolts are the only bolts(except the m8 bolt that holds the muffler on) that I've had that have stripped or twisted like this one. IMG_0096.JPG IMG_0098.JPG Is your manual the same as this? I'm pretty anal when it comes to torquing my bolts to spec as you can see.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  15. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    We are talking pass each other Ford, but we are almost there. Look at the picture I posted showing vernier calipers. This is M8 bolt that I have in KYB fork for axle fastening, yet 2011 TE250 manual I have on pen drive calls for torque for M6 bolt, 10.4 Nm
    Therefore I am calling this out as potentially incorrect. .. I didn't wait, torqued it higher , if it looks like duck... ;-)

Tip for torquing, make sure threads both male and female are in perfect condition, CLEAN and lubed as required.
  16. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    I just ordered parts to make Ibeat cable. I have ordered
    VAG-KKL-OBD2-OBDII-USB interface cable for 10 bucks shipped and 2 male AMP Econoseal 6 pin connectors to plug into bikes female connector. Both were 18 bucks with shipping. I ordered 2 because my protective cover is missing. I will make cover from spare connection body....
  17. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Late evening delivery, more parts arriving with KTM packaging and under their numbering system. Good omen. Fender made in Italy and side panel in Portugal.

[IMG] KTM packaging

All dressed up and nowhere to go :-)

[IMG]

Bubba marks almost erased. Good progress so far, but hit with delays, looks like one week slide...
  18. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Deliveries continue, got right body panel from expensive guy. I think it was twice price of the left panel, but heck it was in stocks and I wanted it. Oil filter three pack continue to be missing,... I think is lost.
    Got vag cable, second day WOW, that was fast. I hear ibeat works on 32bit comps, dig out ole Sony comp from the storage. Poor thing thought it is 2005 but fired right up. I believe it was last used in 2013 as New York reload. Good one Sony, it has to be at least 12 years old. Boomer, driver for vag interface didn't load automatically from the disk, to late today to troubleshoot. I will download Ibeat tomorrow and make thing run,
    Continued with harness work today, did rear stop light switch and temp sensor/TPS combo. Did some general bike cleaning, it's going to be awesome...

[IMG]
  19. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If you only ride in sand you can use the 7.5wt. 5wt is better all around though.

BTW, do NOT use an impact wrench on that flywheel bolt. Use a torgue wrench,

Just make sure it is tight a little past spec. Get the flywheel holder from ZipTY Racing.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  20. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Previous owner tightened the crap out of them? Or even the factory!

My bike had the 5mm cam cap bolts so tight i needed breaker bar to get them loose and they took one of the head threads with them!