1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Restoring 2011 Husky TE250

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by EUROJulian, Feb 22, 2017.

1. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Hi all, new musher here. Just got my first husky this past Friday. I am starting this thread to keep myself motivated in restoring this TE250 i bought. I have many different hobbies and ongoing projects thus I easly get distracted or sidetracked. Once I get new bike I usually start build thread on bike specific board to tap into group knowledge but also to leave something of use behind once I am done with a project.
    So this husky thing, wanted a light street legal dirt bike to be able to use tow hitch mount on my truck with ease. Settled on WR250R but couldn't find good specimen in my area for the just price (cheap).
    I run across this husky thing and fell in love at first sight. I know it is stupid as I suffered shortcomings of Italian engineering before but no sense to rationalise love. Big forks, nice hubs, Japanese fuel injection, tall and comfortable... Anyway, picked the bike Friday evening. Pros: it was cheap, low mileage - around 650, just 5 years young. Cons: it has full power kit installed, it was used for some trail riding and street stuff mostly doesn't work... To be continued - bed time.
  2. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Taking it home:
    [IMG]
    Kenneth Webb likes this.
  3. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    As it stand at purchase:
    [IMG]
    Note Mickey mouse fender and messed up plastic
  4. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Body Panels: First order of business was to install factory fender and reinstall side covers correctly. Next Seat was sitting on the top of bent subframe tabs. PO was a nice guy, but cmon... fixed tabs and reinstalled seat correctly . Next left radiator scoop was not fitting right, found rear radiator mounting bolt missing. This is the same bolt that holds radiator fan to the frame. Fixed tabs and realigned radiator and covers fit correctly now.

[IMG]
  5. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    First oil change:
    How much one can mess up simple oil change. Look like this bike is really vulnerable to fat finger guys. Note crushed old oil filter. Make sure you check that old oil filter seal is not stuck on covers nipple before installing new filter, PO didn't . Seal separates easily from old filter.
    Next screen removal, pictured tool make it a breeze.
    Last thing using fine thread for soft aluminum crank case, Italians... watch out not to overtorque filter cover ..

[IMG]
  6. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Taking dog for a walk...
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
  8. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Trench, Oil filter was not installed backwards by PO but with two seals.
    I see you guys are vigorously debating that oil viscosity issue. I am in hot, subtropical climate therefore me expirience is different.
  9. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Btw, using fine thread screws to hold oil filter cover is just bad engineering practice. Crank case is aluminum and cover is intended to be removed frequently. Bad idea. I will be switching to stud and nut setup by the next oil change. Need to source correct studs..
  10. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
  11. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
  12. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    ;-) I am EU citizen curently banished to tropical paradise...

[IMG]

My cover takes 6mm driver. I had to turn up side down my whole garage to find it. Do not remember when I had to use it last time..
    Brian Heaney likes this.
  13. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    There is a thread somewhere that discusses which brand is the best oil filter to use. If you use an oil filter that is too long or too restrictive it will cause major issues.
  14. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
  15. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    The best thing about the 0w-40 oil is the way the bike shifts. Also way cheaper than any motorcycle specific oil. The other thing about it is that most wear occurs on start up, and the 0w oil leaves behind a light film of oil to reduce the wear. I've been using the oil as a gun lube too. On a lot of firearm forums, people have discovered that it works better than a lot of the expensive gun lubes.
  16. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Thank you for the link Joedirt. Interesting read. Looking at the design, In short I am in disagreement that major issues are possible ehen paper filter is bit longer. As long as bypass it is there no "major issues" to the bike.
  17. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Fords, chaper is always good as long as specification is comparable. Like I said my expirience is different because of ambient temperature operational range due to hot climate. I do not care about improved cold start performance of lower viscosity oils. Mind My "cold" starts are always above 20 degree C, summer time year round. I do care for improved wear protection due to higher load carrying ability of high viscosity oil at engine operational temperature.
  18. EUROJulian Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Best part of the week, goodie packages started to arrive. Some big, some small...
    [IMG]

I decided to replace some of the body plastics for fresh look, rear fender, mud gards, frame protection and belly pan.

[IMG]

I really wanted to just order updated temperature sensor, as I notice one on the bike was still original black color that likes to fail. Then I started to browse and noticed how cheap are some of the parts. I recently restored Suzuki street bike and their spare parts prices are outrageous.....
    [IMG]
    I was hoping to do forks this weekend but seals are late. Got brake pads from Czechy, I used them once before they look good and are TUVs.
    [IMG]
    Spark plug has to wait for fuel injector and top engine cleaning that is planned after all tail parts are here. For now I am running tank of fuel with sea foam through it...
  19. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    I meant cold start as your first start up. Not necessarily cold weather, just at first start up when most wear occurs.
  20. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles: