1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

restoration costs

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Mar 7, 2015.

1. can Husqvarna
    AA Class

002.JPG

The piggyback forks as far as I know were only available on the Canam Sonic from 1982. They are marzhocci 42mm. To me they feel just like a modern fork. I think if more people knew of these forks they would be like cheating for vintage MX.
    The other bike has 50 mm wp around 1999, they work great.

Attached Files:

2. can Husqvarna
    AA Class

3. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    aaah yes the sonic 560 sooo what did you put on the sonic? i would think being one of the first super thumpers it would be worth doing something with
  4. can Husqvarna
    AA Class

The (500) Sonic is in my garage with the original forks. It really is a great bike. It would help if you were rick smits or some other NBA basketball player. It is by far the tallest bike I have ever ridden. Great power and great suspension.
    I purchased the xc500 with the marhzocchi forks already on the bike.
    justintendo likes this.
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    To restore? Or not to restore? That's the question?

I personally feel from experience, sure it's running when we get them, but for how long?
    Should we take a chance and not too far down the road if the engine seezes and it ruins the cylinder, the piston and possibly the crank it will cost more if we can find the parts.
    It's a case of the unknown, was it ever refreshed? It's impossible to know.
    If we restore the complete bike upfront and replace the what ever it needs we end up with many years of trouble free riding. Why wait till it stops running then the rebuild will cost more if we can find the p arts. Pay now or pay more later.

To me the crank seals or the base gasket seems to go first on a used running vintage/post vintage husqvarna bike. The new blend of gas also effects the older gaskets and seals.
  6. WayneL Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR400 88 WR125 84 AE500 &13 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS and R80G/S PD
    I always stop counting at $4000.00
    I feel happier that way.

But it's not about the money, its about achieving the bike you want at the end of the day.
    Not to mention the therapy value from tinkering in the shed, music blasting away and maybe sipping on a cool refreshing ale :)
    Enjoy!
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I'm going to do a parts inventory to make sure I have everything for both builds. And take my time. I'm not going to rush it. I was looking at the surface rust on the rim spokes. I'm thinking a good compound polish will clean up each spoke.
  8. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I stil need to finish the relace with Buchanan spokes, DID rim, and 83 DLS front hub. Slated for my 83 430WR build
  9. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's

while i agree that "restoration" is an overused term, and yes, there are different interpretations of what is an acceptable effort, the insinuation that anyone who gets it wrong by your standard is a hack is a little out of order. After all, at least those who have built a bike to their personal standard and called it a restoration have at least had a go.

There's a husky club page that explains the restoration standard options a builder can aim for,

http://www.huskyclub.com/show.htm

I've seen a very original early seventies husqvarna and to be blunt, the build quality was ordinary, runs in the engine paint, thin paint on the tank, wonky chrome pin striping, dust, hair, bugs in the silver everywhere! My original plan was to build mine to "as new" condition but i can't, my OCD won't let me be satisfied with the result, i'm making each part as good as i can get it and expect my finished example to be accurate as far as parts brand and placement, measurements etc. and the paint colours will also be accurate, the finish of the paint, chrome and polished parts will be better than new because A i like it that way, and B most who look at them or judge them expect it.
    If and when i come across the most anal purist who expect that i buff through the red and throw dust and bugs in my still tacky paint to consider it accurate or authentic then too bad, they will have to deal with my effort as it sits or go build their own.
    juicypips likes this.
  10. can Husqvarna
    AA Class

loony888:
    You are right I should not have used the word Hack and should have worded my post better.
    I apologize.

I could not afford to restore 10 bikes, but it sure would be nice to restore one and have it in my living room.
  11. loony888 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR0SS
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati's

it's all good, i may end up being called worse once i'm done anyway.......

i bought mine sight unseen and was hoping it was all original (the tank obviously wasn't, but other than that) and i could find an original tank, freshen up the top end and preserve it.
    Someone told me they're only original once which made sense but it was not to be, the bike was complete with all it's original parts and the engine has never been apart but OMG the paint on it! everywhere, different types, different colours, don't know why either but it was a mess, i reckon there's 3kg of paint in a bucket!

Once mine is done i'll take it to our biggest concours, show it once then enjoy it by riding it i think, it would be a shame not to
    juicypips likes this.
  12. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I stopped into my local KTM/Husqvarna Saturday on my way home from work. I found the owner has bought a 83 430WR and has it on display in the showroom with a not for sale tag on it. I had dealt with that dealership in the 70's when they were Manchester Honda and sold Ossa as well. I may put my 85 400WRX in their showroom as they would be interested having it there to show some more Husqvarna history.
  13. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

where did you get the stand that's under that bike
  14. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    You have to start out with what restore or even rebuild means to you. I just put them together, collect piles of parts and move on to something else. Add to what you discussed is that BMW who seemed to moving in a helpful direction is no longer involved. If one wants to restore something especially a dirt bike one probably should start with one that never got treated as a "beater". Buying an auto bike that has all of the chasis parts seems sensible to me. I get some of them and how clean the front mount bolts are where they are "inside" the frame can be amazing compared to the standard shift versions. Cylnders and crankshafts are not is short supply used. One can get a pretty good idea of health of gears by what comes out on the magnet. The magnesium cases can be problematic. To me a restoration (of something that actually entered events as it was intended for) would put bronze sleeves at least in the pocket for the bearing with the ring around it and probably the one at the sprocket. I have one air cooled 430 lower end that looks to be fine but every time I spin it around I see the outer race of that bearing that has the ring around it rotate as well as the balls and inner race.
  15. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    So far every used running two stroke bike I had ended up with the crank seals going soon after I purchased it. This can get costly if it seizes and the crank rod bearing goes south too in the process. I think if I take a used running bike apart first then disassemble it and replace what ever it needs now ahead of time ill have a good running bike for a longtime. I never skimp on a restoration/rebuild. It's the inside that counts..

I'm into restoring tractors too. Some guys call a new paint job a restoration. I lol inside when a few weeks later there taking it apart to rebuild the engine. To me it has to run perfect before it looks pretty. I just was never lucky with the used 2t to get a good running one when I purchased them.
  16. can Husqvarna
    AA Class

I made the stand from scrounged chrome plated tube.
    I just researched some stands off the web and copied the pictures.
  17. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    looks similar to mine wondering if someone was making them

IMG_3486.jpg
  18. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    We made a design like that in the 70's as we had an arc welder and access to scrap steel
  19. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:

you made yours in the 70's?
    did you market them?
  20. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    If the engine is out it is pretty easy to change the seal on the drive side. One time I did that, took off the case half with the other one down, welded a blob for the extra bolt, Machined as needed for warpage, and changed the seal and put it right back.

The only seal I had go bad was on the 420 auto. It just went dead about 3/4 mile and would re start if you waited. The crank had some strange pitting so I wonder if it wasn't stored less than ideally. The one on the timing side those seem to work even installed crooked.

As for the antique tractor if you ever come over and go riding there is a MM445 industrial here.