replacement voltage regulator plug

Discussion in '610/630' started by stuartmcivor, Aug 25, 2016.

1. stuartmcivor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS630
    Does anyone know a source for a replacement plug that would go into the voltage regulator? Bike is a 2011 SM630 but I think it would be the same for the TE630.

After washing my bike it wouldn't start. It ran fine the day before when parked in the garage. During the course of my trouble shooting I found a corroded and broken wire going into the voltage regulator. Upon closer inspection I could see some heat damage.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

I am hoping this might be the reason for the no start but at the very least I have to repair it to move to finding another reason if it is not. Bike tries to start like normal but right where it would normally catch it sort of coughs and the starting cycle continues again, till I drain the battery.
  2. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    Just solder and heat shrink the wires together and do away with the plug.
  3. stuartmcivor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS630
    That is a solution that crossed my mind and is probably what I will do just to see if this is the reason for the bike's no start. However, long term... I like things pretty. Thanks for the idea though.
  4. KXcam22 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SM630, 2017 300XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    08FZR6;07CRF450;98CBR900RR;02KTM200
    That will work great. Also any CBR600 or CBR900 one will fit from a bike wrecker. I predict that there are more than a few wrecked CBR600 around. Many, many other bikes use the same VR with the same plug. I would crimp on new terminals and go with the individual crimped terminals with no plug. I you are handy you can line the connector with saran wrap and pot the connectors together with glue gun or 5min epoxy. Not really needed here. Cam.
  5. stuartmcivor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS630
    Kam thanks for that info about the CBRs having the same plug. I'll look into doing just that. In the mean time I will crimp on new ends and plug them onto the voltage regulator one by one. A smart person would also do your Keeping the Voltage Regulator Alive modification at the same time to prevent this from happening again. I've read the post a couple times now and think I got it.

Is there a way to test the regulator to see if it still works?
  6. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
  7. stuartmcivor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS630
    I was able to spend some time on this today. Tested the voltage regulator with a multi-meter. All good. I snipped the plug off, exposed some wire and after crimping on new terminal ends plugged each wire to it's correct spot on the voltage regulator. Maybe I fixed it. Maybe the bike dried out from its bath during the time it took me to get at it. Don't care. Bike started up right away and ran like normal. I do have a new plug on the way and will upgrade the ground wire when it arrives. For anybody else who might need a replacement plug in the future try www.cycleterminal.com
  8. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Hi

How do you test the voltage regulator? I have a multi-meter but I don't know how to use it to test the VR

Thanks
  9. stuartmcivor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 SMS630
    I followed the example found on this youtube video

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8EjV0IjW9Q

It isn't' the same as the one on the Husky but I was able to work out what's what. The larger pin with the red wire in is +, the other larger pin is -, the remaining smaller pins are what is left. My numbers where different but the idea is the same. numbers where there should be numbers, zeros where there should be zeros.
    motranqui likes this.
  10. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Thank you, Stuart. I took the measurements and my VR (at least the new one, the old one is plugged to the bike and so I haven't tested it yet) it's ok