Replacement fuel pump

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by husqdeeznutz, Jul 2, 2017.

1. husqdeeznutz Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm trying to troubleshoot a fuel problem and I've pulled the whole fuel system out of the bike and watched the injector. It barely shoots any fuel out. I tested the pump with a guage in only got 30 psi when the pump primed. I saw a thread post this ebay pump:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intank-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1c1916a0&vxp=mtr

I also saw the California Cycleworks pump mentioned. I was probably going to grab a regulator as well while I'm at it. Do you guys recommend the eBay one or the California Cycleworks? The bike is an 09 smr510
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    alright, I'll jump in.

if there is no restriction on the end of the fuel pump outlet, the fuel will just flow out without spraying- like a garden hose. And you should see a nice fine spray pattern out of the injector when it's actuated. Clean it with carb cleaner if not, and see if things improve.

A pressure reading of 30lbs is pretty low, which might be the fuel pump; but it also has a pretty good chance of being the internal fuel line, filter, pre-filter, or regulator. take them out and inspect and test.

If you're gonna replace the fuel pump on a whim, try one of the cheaper ($20) pumps maybe. Lotsa people have reported good results with California Cycleworks kits, but that's a $100 gamble. You should test your components first.

what kind/year of bike are we talking about? what problem are you trying to solve (bike doesn't run or what)?

good luck.
  3. husqdeeznutz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the reply and information. The bike is a 2009 SM510R and yeah doesn't run. I have spark but no fuel. I changed the filter and I did not see any leaks in the line when I tested the pump in a milk jug full of gas. I'm pretty sure the injector is messed up because I saw someone run the same test as me with even lower pump psi and it still had a decent spray. I did clean it with carb cleaner so I'm just going to replace it. It would be kind of hard for me to test the regulator. I suppose I could connect the pump directly to the fuel gauge and see if it is above 43psi. How are the ebay pumps longevity I don't want to get stranded and pumps aren't that fun to change.
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    is this after the bike had been sitting a while or something? or is the injector clogged with particulates or chunks of a seal maybe?

pump pressure test: if you can pressure test the pump, add the regulator to the circuit and test again. The numbers I believe you should see: 50+psi from the pump no flow; add the regulator in and I think it should read 43psi. Rereading your post- sounds like you figured this out.

pump longevity: no idea- but for $20 it's worth a gamble. I would bet that 90% of all electric fuel pumps are made in China.

I agree your problem sounds like the injector.

if you wanna confirm it's a fuel system problem, spray starting fluid into the intake and start it up. It should light right up if so.
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    hey nutz- how did things work out and what did you find was the problem?
  6. husqdeeznutz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey sorry for the delay in the update haha. I wound up replacing the injector and the pump as well as the fuel filter. Used the Kawasaki OEM Part: 49033-0010 Injection Nozzle and the toyota fuel pump mentioned in other threads: ACD1300-TOY
    I got pretty weak fuel pressure and the injector spray pattern was bad. I guess that's what I get for letting the bike sit!
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  7. funmachines Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husa FE570, Beta trials, CDale 440
    Something to keep in mind is the ethanol in gas can cause lots of issues if it sits too long. It can get gel-like. I use Stabil marine fuel stabilizer for any gas I buy for bikes and mix it into the fuel jugs. Motorcycle fuel injectors have tiny orifices and don't tolerate any blockage. Can block up small fuel filters too.