1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Replacement for stock Magura clutch MC

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Skid Kid, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Skid Kid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR510 '08
    Other Motorcycles:
    1000RR
    Hey Guys.

My second (latest) Magura MC starts leaking (SMR510 08). Typical stuff.
    First one did the same. Didnt want to go the rebuild route, so purchased a new one.

So now its about time to start looking for a replacement MC. I gave up!

Options: Brembo RCS16 or the "new" Magura HC1/3
    (or beringer)

Really into brembo, because my brake setup is brembo. (RCS15)
    But the RCS16 wont do mineral oil.
    My slave has already been swapped with the oberon. Which they claim it can do dot or mineral.
    But im hesitating to swap to dot, because if my slave starts leaking, i assume it will do bigger damage while leaking into my engine.

So now the other option. the Magura HC1. It is mineral. but will it work?
    In their catalog http://www.magura.com/media/2315/magura_katalog_2016_en.pdf
    They do not say it will work on the 450/510 tc/te/smr. But it will on the sm/te 630.

Neither of these MC's have the decompression handle, But i was told that with e-start (smr) you wont need it. (correct me if im wrong)

Is there anybody who can help me with this dilemma.
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    Use mineral oil in the brembo- should work just fine. It's not like you're gonna boil your clutch fluid. If you wanna test this first, take the m/c rebuild kit and put the cup/seals in baby oil for a month; then look for degradation. Remember that mineral oil is not hygroscopic like brake fluid; so change flush it once a year.

edit for future readers: Skid Kid provided this link: http://www.largiader.com/articles/mineral/
    which has a pretty good test showing that mineral oil swells seals made for brake fluid. It's in a couple of posts below.
    thanks.

[shit- even better: use DOT 5 (silicone based). okay for your engine, okay for the brake system seals. btw, I am NOT talking about dot 5.1]

OTOH, IMNSHO- leaking brake fluid into your engine wouldn't be the huge disaster I've always heard about... as long as you caught it in a timely manner.

warning: no experience with either solution.
    benwiggin2 likes this.
  3. Skid Kid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR510 '08
    Other Motorcycles:
    1000RR
    Thanks for the help so far!

There were a few occasions where people (other forums) actually used mineral in the brembo mc. It didnt work in the end. resulting in rebuilding the brembo.

Im gonna check out the dot 5 option.
  4. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    I replaced mine 6 years ago when it failed. I had purchased a universal magura master cylinder(I dont remember if it was a 9.5 or a 10.5) from Dan at Motoxotica. He had told me that the universal was way cheaper than the husqvarna one. All I had to do was use my old top with the decompressor lever and drift the pin out of the clamp for the threaded mirror mount. For mineral oil you can go the easy route and buy a bottle of singer sewing oil from Walmart for $3 and should last a long time. I believe the X ring on the the slave cylinder is only designed for mineral oil. Brake fluid causes it to swell. You don't technically need the decompressor lever, but I personally use it every time I start the engine when it's cold. Just a little ritual I do by letting the engine crank a few revolutions without compression to get the oil flowing before firing. It helps out to when on rare occasions I want to kick the bike over for the hell of it.

I looked through all my notes on maintenance and I can't believe I didn't write the part# for the master cylinder.
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah... I've heard that all my life. I have no problem accepting that an alcohol (gylcol-based brake fluid) can do damage to lotsa stuff. I'm slightly incredulous that mineral oil (which is fairly passive) can permanently affect things designed for brake fluid- although I have heard this often. Hell, water is more corrosive by a long shot. I can imagine cleaning oil out of a hydraulic system meant for brake fluid would be a total pain; I just don't see the oil ruining anything ....but maybe (btw, got any links?).

edit for future readers: Skid Kid provided this link: http://www.largiader.com/articles/mineral/
    which has a pretty good test showing that mineral oil swells seals made for brake fluid. It's in a couple of posts below.
    thanks.

If you find evidence to the contrary, pls LMK so I can quit passing off bad info... or at least bad opinions.

Also, DOT 5 is not hygoscopic so it's gonna have the same problem as mineral oil with water. Like I said, flush it (maybe every 2-3 years; forget the every-year advice I gave) and you should be golden.

let us know how things work out.
  6. Skid Kid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR510 '08
    Other Motorcycles:
    1000RR
    @268fords
    Thanks for the heads up about the decompression-handle part. Ive swapped the original slave for the oberon aftermarket part. Piece of quality right there!

@ Threnchcoat
    I've seen a topic somewhere (cant find it anymore) where someone did a 24h test with four fluids and submerged some seals with it.
    After the 24 hours he meassured the seals. Results were pretty surprising for me.

http://www.ninetowners.com/forum/mo...-rcs-clutch-brake-master-cylinder-kits-2.html
    In this topic "Netscout" confirms mineral oil and the RCS16 wont go togheter.

I will contact Brembo ask them if the RCS16 will do Dot 5.

Any tips for cleaning my slave? Cause its pushing mineral now.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    slave cylinder cleaning: use aerosol brake cleaner. maybe soak the o-ring or seals.

I like this test from the thread you mentioned: http://www.largiader.com/articles/mineral/
    pretty damned definitive. The swollen seals are a deal breaker; OTOH- at least they didn't degrade.

Also, the last guy in the thread posted excellent observations. Bottom line: mineral oil swells brake seals.

thanks.

btw, DOT 5: sounds like brembo isn't gonna answer you; and if they do it'll be the standard "nope, no way". you should do the same experiment yourself with DOT 5.

good luck
  8. dunc Husqvarna
    AA Class

9. ar3nbe Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 200
    When my Magura went I replaced it with a brand new Magura Gen 2 unit, this allowed me to keep the mineral oil for mt slave piston.
  10. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

11. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Skid Kid- did you ever do the DOT 5 test? get any results?