1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Removing Swingarm Bushings

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by warburtonm, Jan 7, 2009.

1. warburtonm Husqvarna
    A Class

Guys: I have a 1974 250 Mag and am trying to get the original rubber swingarm bushings out (so I can powder coat the frame). Any tips on how to do that? Is the rubber inserted into a metal sleeve that fits into the arm? Do they just press out. (I tried a little and they didn't seem to want to budge.)

Thanks Marc
  2. HuskyT Moderator

Marc,

I don't have any experience on a 74 but on a 77 78 79 and 80 they press out and have a metal sleeve that goes through the middle and have two orings on each side of the bearings.

It takes a good press to get them to move if they have been in for a while. I would recommend soaking them in CRC or WD 40 or som form of penetrant and then pressing them out with a press..... Hammer and punches are difficult at best. Make a bushing that is almost the size o the rubber insert and then press away!

Here is detail from the 75 which I think is close to yours:
    SE-1
    [IMG]
    SE-3
    [IMG]
    SE-4
    [IMG]
    SE-5
    [IMG]
    SE-6
    [IMG]

Hope this helps you out!

T
  3. warburtonm Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks on Swingarm Data

This is exactly what I needed - now I just have to find the appropriate spacers! One question of interest: the manual pages you posted (thanks!) have the procedure for both the elastic and the needle bearing pivots. Why both? Did the '75 come in two configurations?

Thanks Marc
  4. HuskyT Moderator

The manual that I pulled this from covers 75 thru 81

T