Removing swing arm pivot bolt?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Hi, just tryna' remove the engine from my old 610, I've undone the 22mm nut from the swingarm axle but I can't seem to get the thing out?

Removing it from the right hand side, it looks like the read of the bolt is stuck under a sort of tab in the frame.
  2. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    If I'm understanding you correctly you're saying it looks like the head of the bolt is under a tab. It's not- the head of the bolt is flattened on one side and fits key-like into that not fully round hole (so the bolt doesn't spin when you tighten or loosen the nut on the other side.)

Just remove the nut from the other side and tap the long bolt out- use a big flat head to get to it and keep on getting to it as it goes through the tunnel and free. Remember that thing is under some load- it's an engine mount and it's also supporting the swingarm and linkage.
  3. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I've finally got my tablet to my garage to snap a pic.

It's this bolt I'm having trouble with

IMG_20171007_142741.jpg

Attached Files:

4. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many

That same bolt holds the swingarm in place so you got to have frame suspended (jacked up) to take load from swingarm. If you end up smashing the bolt out without having the frame on some solid blocks the bike will split in two...
  5. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    This might give you an idea what I'm talking about, see the bolt part way in (inserted on the wrong side) used to keep swingarm in place while I assemble shock linkage

20170610_170911.jpg
  6. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Did you even read my post above? :)
    Rotax_655 likes this.
  7. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many

I did, was hoping rephrasing it and adding pictures will aid comprehension...
  8. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Nah all good- was referring to Flynn, as he’d posted the pics as though he’d not read any of it.
  9. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Seems Flynn only posts once a month :)
  10. sh0Cked Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 SM610
    I did this earlier last month -- Tap on it from the opposite side of where u took the pic of the bolt. I put some pieces of wood under the rear tire to get some of the load off of the swingarm. Good luck :)
  11. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    Remember that the shock as to be removed or you will be adding side force to that bolt.

Paw Paw
  12. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many

not really, with properly suspended frame and bike this bolt slides right out, I just did it again, removed the engine second time this year, no fuss
    EricV likes this.
  13. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Well I do probably average a post per month, mainly because I sold my second '06 SM610 and my '01 is now a long term project and in the meantime I've bought a Triumph Street Triple on loan for Street riding and a KTM 250 EXC for off road action, so those keep me busy as it is!

Along with working 10 hour shifts 5 days a week to pay for it all!

Add to that that the garage where my bike stays is two miles away in a different part of town so I only have time and motivation to look at it on the weekends.

This weekend I had another go with the bike jacked up.

Still couldn't get it out!

It seems to be pushing on something, it's as though the key shape isn't in the right position to "unlock" as it were.

But I can't figure out how you can even turn the bolt around in the hole.

IMG_20171015_141007.jpg IMG_20171015_152219.jpg IMG_20171015_152227.jpg
  14. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Once the nut is removed on the left side of the bike the bolt will not turn as there is a flat on the frame portion to stop it from turning. In a perfect world the bolt should just slide out to the right side, no need to turn it. I suspect your bearings have not been greased since the bike was new and the bearings have rusted or seized to the bolt (no grease fitting like the linkage). Don't really have any great suggestions other than hopefully something to loosen the corrosion and a big hammer and punch.
  15. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Yes- what Kirbybikes said. That and (especially in your case) you want to be sure to take the load off the bolt. Put at least a block of wood under the rear tire. Give it a solid/sharp whack and I'm sure it'll start to come out.
  16. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    Part of the problem is that you removed all engine bolts already, motor is tilting forward and pinching the bolt. also possibly bolt rusted inside the cases.

Where are you jacking the frame? Under center stand lugs?
    EricV likes this.
  17. MATPOC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    too many
    thread the nut on the bolt, not all the way, but far enough that all threads are engaged, place socket on the nut and hammer the socket, nice metal hammer, but don't go nuts.

If it doesn't move use some good penetrating oil between frame and motor and frame and swingarm, not WD40, but something like Kroil, let it sit, add more, it works slow, but it does miracles
  18. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Right, figured I should update.

Unfortunately had some bad luck with my two other bikes and have had my fill of working on stuff for the next year or so, I am now selling my old 2001 610 SMS.

Anyway, I was determined to get that damn bolt out, I didn't expect it to take 1/2 a day and two mushroomed extension bars though!

I was hitting my extension bar with a block hammer as hard as I could with one hand whilst holding the bar with the other.

It was tough until the very end.

The turning point was when I got it about 1/3rd of the way out, smothered it in oil and grease then hammered it back in.

Combined with twisting it with vice grips I got it out, but the force it was taking without budging was tremendous!

At one point I was convinced there was something else that hadn't been undone somehow holding it.

Below are some pics of the action

Hitting it with some heat

IMG_20171125_122201.jpg

Getting there...oil and twisting is the key

IMG_20171125_123528.jpg

Finally!

IMG_20171125_135754.jpg

Now I can put this frame up on eBay and hopefully get someone to buy it and free up some space in my little rented unit.
  19. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Are you sure you had it unloaded? You know- a block under the wheel and engine mount out. Shouldn’t have been that much of a bear.
  20. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I had a jack under the engine with the wheel on the ground.

That should be unloaded shouldn't it?

TBH I can't see the weight of the engine making it that hard anyway

I was surprised of how much of a bear it was myself.

Got it out and was expecting to see some kind of horrible corrosion but nada.

Glad I was able to sort it out and now get the old girl sold on.