Removing Right Side Gears from Crankshaft

Discussion in '610/630' started by Howard70, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Hello:

I've read various accounts of problems with the torque settings and woodruff keys associated with the primary drive nut and gears on the right side of the crankshaft and the layshaft counter balance.

So I've got the clutch removed and the primary drive nut off (everything was within torque specs), but I'd like to check the keys before retorquing and buttoning everything back up. However, I can't get the two gears off the (inner one engages the counterbalance gear on the layshaft and outer one mates to the clutch gear). There's no room for a gear puller and I've tried pulling them off with an "L" shaped piece of steel, but they won't budge (the nut is off!).

Any suggestions? If they're this tight, should I assume all is OK and put her back together?

Thanks,

Howard
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Wish I could help but cannot.

You may or may not get a good response quickly, that's how forums work. Depending on the time schedule... I would be tempted to put it back together for the time being.

A lot of the knowledgeable 610 mechanics might be working or riding today cause it is nice in CA at the moment... When estimating how soon information might be forthcoming on a forum I usually take a quick peek at the weather.
  3. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Hello Coffee:

Thanks! I agree - I'm also looking for advice for the next time I'm in there - if I put her back together before someone else chips in.

Hope to ride tomorrow!

Howard
  4. Owen J Husqvarna
    AA Class

I took off my clutch cover to check when I first got my 610 and had the same problem. Both my nuts were tight so I just reassembled. It's likely that the gear is an interference fit on the shaft so might need heat to remove it (hence it not wanting to budge!)
    I think the woodruff keys only get damaged if the nuts are loose in the first place so yours are likely to be ok (I'm sure you'd know about it if they weren't - lots vibration!!). If I recall correctly from an earlier post I think you said you had an '08 610. From what I've read it was only supposed to be a problem with the early models (most likely just '06s). For what it's worth I've got an '06 and mine was fine (but could have been fixed before it came into my hands I suppose).
  5. Howard70 Husqvarna
    A Class

Hello Owen:

Thanks for the reply. I ended up doing just what you did - torqued the nuts back to spec (they were at spec when I removed them) and closed her up.

The initial reports were for model years earlier than 2008 as you mentioned. However, there are a few accounts in 2008's and George at Uptite suggested checking just to be sure.

Thanks again,

Howard