redirection from dreamer project YZ200 airhammer back to YZ125

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by robertaccio, Dec 21, 2016.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I was fairly deep into installing a Blaster 200 aircooled engine onto Y2.1 K steel frame YZ125 chassis to build a simple air cooled 2 stroke trail bike in a good chassis config........after seeing the X trainer type bikes, and especially the AJP bikes I threw in the towel on it.
    I still think its a good idea, but not worth my time (effort is fine, time is not).

So the basket case YZ125 is going to be restored as a side/loaner/track/fun bike. I bought a new chassis (MY2000) because I had already modified the 01 chassis and have all the 2001 parts. I will snap some shots of it as it comes together. YZ125s have been my faves (and seems like everyone elses too-MXA, DirtBike etc). Plus side I still like CrMo chassis machines so the Y2K machine fits the bill.
    source for "new" chassis was local San Diego zone dismantler (Escondido) and price was very fair/low
    Damaged Goods is the company, they do a strong ebay biz.

My sponsor shop has me covered for all the hardware stuff (UFO Plast, Works connection, etc.
    NCMoto.net

I slipped from my shop and bought a graphics kit on ebay(the bane of my friend's small biz)--the Flu Designs (gotta be China) for only 50 bucks for a full graphics kit and I installed most of it onto new UFO plast (all white), the cheapest of the major brands was mid 100s.......
    Kam1 and lankydoug like this.
  2. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 tx300i and a few vintage bikes
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    My older brother had a 99 yz 125 for a long time and man that thing was a blast to ride. I've been kinda kicking around the idea of getting a 125 to mess around on. We'll see. Can't wait to see the build
    steadydirt and robertaccio like this.
  3. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    Want an X trainer type bike on a budget? Grab a CR150 and I'll tell you what to do to the motor to give it a beautiful linear power band. I rode the X trainer (and all the Beta 2 strokes) back to back with my CR150 and was surprised at how similar (and better to me) it felt to the X trainer... and I really wanted an X trainer
    robertaccio likes this.
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Swingarm painted (over the old OEM paint) and Subrame painted to metal color ( this is not going to be some crazy show bike, but all my stuff needs to at least look cool.....)
    The reason the Previous Owner took it apart was for a kick starter pawl assembly fail with subsequent metal parts scattering into the gearbox. After a good inspection of the engine parts, they are amazing in good shape with little wear, with some minor exceptions. I will skimp for the reassembly and have a new kick starter shaft and I found one case bearing that needs replacement.
    All the other bearings feel good and look good, besides its a 125....I'll put it back together and run it, if it blows I'll rebuild or source another engine! These early 2000s bikes are super cheap right now. I noticed something odd MXA and others all have the main very near to the OEM main size @ 460, PC lists it as a 410, this bike has a 410 and shows evidence of lean/high heat burn. The piston (which needs replacement) has some exhaust edge erosion and a lot of burned carbon on the underside of the crown. I will get the thing back to the MXA (OEM) happy jetting spec. The PC spec is also based on 32:1 with C12 VP leaded racing fuel so that may explain the spec to some degree.
    Oh and that's my little bitch (hahaha) Paloma AKA P-Lo guarding the parts.

20161222_212957.jpg 20161222_213219.jpg 20161222_213248.jpg
    Huskynoobee and lankydoug like this.
  5. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Anyone know about/use or used early 2000s Moto Tassinari V Force reed blocks? There is one on E Bay and I'm tempted to snag it and throw on some new replacement reeds.

side note the red bike in the background is a regret bike.....when I got it 20 od years ago it was a fully configured XL80S with all the street gear on it or boxed. At the time my daughters needed a learner bike....so I stripped it and converted it into an XR80R. My regret I should have left the dang thing in OEM form, it would be fun to have a street legal Grom from the old school!! The non regret part is that both my daughters learned to ride on it and refuse to let me get rid of it!! Its got an XR cam with on open airbox, XR carb and a Poweroll pipe on it, with Maier plastics.
  6. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    I've got a 77 Xr 75 my dad bought brand new. Awesome little bikes. My uncle did a bunch of head work to it and it's got a bassani exhaust and a cam. I plan on resto modding it in the future. It moves pretty good with an adult on it. Practically my whole family learned to ride on that bike and then some. Probably one of the best things Honda has built. The yz is looking good!
    robertaccio likes this.
  7. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    more graphic work, aiming to get the rolling chassis dialed, also painted the frame with color matching frame paint (I highly recommend this brand.
    20161224_100155 (2).jpg frame paint.jpg
    Kam1 and 87husky500xc like this.
  8. T.Read Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None anymore.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 250, 3 Hondas, 3 Triumphs
    I know a guy that did that very same thing. Says it's a blast to ride, no pun intended. Had the suspension set up kinda springy like a trials bike and made a KTM200 pipe fit.
  9. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    Not to sure on the 200 pipe on a 125 much less a 150 but I'd ride the s**t outta that yz. I'd pound it. Nice build robertaccio. I'm happy to see one of these bikes get the attention they deserve.
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    the shock and forks are in for service special treatment at Suspension 101 Alpine/San Diego. George has been doing wonders for Noah Kepple's machines among others including some legend riders. I told him its a fun bike for a maybe intermediate MXer and only for natural terrain mx like cahuilla type stuff------no silly jumping hits...R-accio does not jump!!!
    87husky500xc likes this.
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    chassis build and style coming together well. suspension is in shop as stated above. Motor inspection revealed a few worn parts (on order) and I need a seal kit, most bearing appear fine. Funny thing- I was going to replace the power valves....but at @ 200 bucks per side I will do some work on them.
    YZ125 projecto.jpg
  12. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    Looking good! I hear ya on the jumping thing. Not my deal either. I like the front wheel off the ground but I prefer the back making contact as often as possible haha
    robertaccio and Kam1 like this.
  13. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    piston kit on order now along with an seal kit to go along with the gasket kit. The chassis is pretty much done when the suspension comes back from Suspension 101
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
  15. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    that bLU cRU hat was gifted to me from my sponsor shop parts manager, I guess he got it from one of the supplier reps.
  16. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    still piecing together stuff, ended up buying a new V Force 3 reed assembly.
    cylinder clean up and build up /re-assembly of PV parts is next.
    received a bunch of oem parts that I had ordered, seals, bearings and hard parts
  17. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Where you at with this thing?
  18. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    I've been wondering as well
  19. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    was AWP awaiting parts. found 6th gears both output shaft and pinion shaft had cracks, glad I did a really close inspection. got one from oem, one was discontinued but I found it on ebay. gearset is dialed. mock up to join cases found I needed o ring and sleeve for the coolant passage waiting for those parts to join cases. Its moving OK not in a rush, just ordered number plate graphics from Decal MX. will start to burnish all my chassis ground points to prepare to mount the electric components. Its very close. mainly waiting to reassemble the engine. Suspension is mounted and has been fully dialed by Suspension 101 (local and good), seems like I have most everything else. cant install my extra flexxbars, oem triple has cast in handlebar mounts so the cross bar renthal will be back on. I have flag handguards and a hyde skid plate just to keep it somewhat ready to do trail rides.
  20. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    from notes above--- cylinder and PV assy went together really well with new shaft seal. and added heat shrink sleeve on the power valve control rods, because they were worn where the springs act on them, so the heat shrink keeps things snug. I filed the piston ends of the PVs because they were touching the piston before. there were evidence marks on the piston and on the ends of the PVs. I have the new piston, its the exact same one as the one that came out, wiseco forged. kept same size.