1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Recluse clutch?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I know nothing about the recluse clutch. Do you think it's similar to the husky auto tranny of the 80's?
  2. Roon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '75 CC175, 360 Auto,'84 510, '89 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    VOR x 3, Honda x 4, BETA x 3, + more
    EFM http://efmautoclutch.com
    REKLUSE https://rekluse.com/products/dirt-bike-products/
    REVLOC http://www.revloc.com.au

Not automatics, they engage the clutch via various RPM dependent mechanisms: mainly to allow no stalling, fitting of left hand rear brakes, they still allow manual override of the clutch etc
    Idea is to leave bike in gear, say 3rd and just roll on/off throttle when negotiating tricky terrain etc...
    Great for riders with wrecked wrists or damaged fingers etc
    You still have to select and change gears yourself...
    I had a 2002 CR500 fitted with a Rekluse and it made it "rideable" in technical enduro situations such as snotty hillclimbs, restarting on loose shaley climbs etc. When the throttle is OFF the clutch disengages so the bike doesn't stall which is great as kick starting big bore 2Ts every time they stall can soon wear you out...or any LH kick Husky for that matter.
    You will get divided opinions on Rekluse, as many FOR as AGAINST. My understanding is that EFM take your existing clutch and convert it, some bikes need the clutch cover to be spaced out or enlarged to fit the EFM modded clutch
  3. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    I have a Rekluse on my GasGas and for my wrecked left hand it is the dogs bolloxs.
  4. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    I have had several auto clutches. Roon is on the money with his comments. The EFM is the only option for a Husky auto clutch because they will modify your clutch. benefits. Easy to be a lazy shifter, clutch hand doesn't work so hard, the tighter and snottier the terrain the more it shines. Makes a two stroke more four stroke like.
    Very little to no stalling.
    I have had Revloc and Rekluse clutches.
    Disadvantage of the auto is freewheeling down a hill, not being able to bump start. On my KTM 300 the Rekluse still allows me to use the clutch to increase the motor revs.
  5. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

EFM will not work with a husky as the setup requires clearance and with the kicker and shifter shafts intregral to the clutch cover, that will not work. (a spacer 1/4 in the same as the cover gasket AND extend the shifter and kicker shafts a 1/4 inch....disaster waiting to happen!) .....Now a later 4 stroke 2 piece cover would allow it though
    IMvintage and Norman Foley like this.
  6. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I recall a hybrid about a year or so ago a 430WR engine in a 1978 ML frame . The engine was setup with a Rekluse or EFM and had the 2 pc clutch cover. It has been done.
  7. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Like I said. 2 piece cover a must.
  8. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Why did the auto trannies die off? They sound better than a recluse or are they?
  9. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    They broke a lot. Good point, Joe
  10. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yes...why I pointed it out before someone got hopes up