1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Rebuilding Brembo front master cylinder

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by motorick, Jan 15, 2019.

1. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    picked up a rebuild kit from Phil for my '87 front brake master cylinder. Most bikes have a circlip holding the piston / rubber / etc. assembly in. Ours has a metal ring that hold it in place. Problem is how do you remove the ring after having sat there for 31 years? Tried to poke it out from the front w/out luck. Guessing that if you had something small & long enough you could press it out from the smaller end. Any advise from anyone who's rebuilt one? Here's a pic of the ring / circlip: IMG_0372.JPG
  2. Quimo Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC400
    Other Motorcycles:
    72 Triumph Bonneville 650, 13 YZ450F
    Same question. Just started a front master cylinder rebuild and before I mess things up trying to dig this thing out I figured I would ask.

Thank you!
  3. Quimo Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC400
    Other Motorcycles:
    I resorted to carefully working it out with a tiny flathead screwdriver. I sort of dug into it the best I could to increase my leverage and just worked around until it came flying out. Took a while and certainly didn’t help my blood pressure. Not sure this will work in all situations. Putting the new one back in was a breeze by taking a 9/16 socket and using that to push it in evenly.
    markt2 likes this.
  4. Quimo Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 XC400
    Other Motorcycles:
    So, after a couple of rides the rubber boot started to work its way loose and the ring along with it. The ring looks to be a little asymmetrical and I will try inserting it the other way to see if that helps. If not, I will be splurging on a new master cylinder.