Rear wheel inner splash guard

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Andrew P, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Anyone know of a company that makes replacements for the splash guard that protects water and debris from going to engine/shock area? It has a Aluminium top piece with rubber/plastic. (Not the splash guard that the plate rests on.) can’t think of what to call the thing.
  2. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
  3. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Perfect!
  4. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Just chop up an old inner tube after you replace a tyre,... arguably its a better quality of rubber than the OE flap.
  5. Andrew P Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Yea I currently have a cut up piece of a floor mat, but would like to get the stock set-up just in case.
  6. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I made a new shock protector for my Terra today. I had noticed the original rubber had broken a few months ago but I've been riding my Super tenere mostly during the winter months here.

It only took me about half an hour to make a replacement and replace it. I didn't have any rubber, but I did have a few feet of black material which is like a vinyl.rubbery material. It's about half the thickness of the original rubber, so I doubled it up (if one breaks I'll have a spare already mounted I guess).

The original rubber flap is easy to remove even with the bike on the side stand. The three clips which attach to the aluminium plate can be removed by using a small phillips head screwdriver to unscrew the centre screw and then the clip should pop out. The bottom clips holding the rubber to the swingarm are a different design, and you just need to lever them up with a screwdriver carefully and they should pop right out also. They can all be reused.
    I just used the original rubber to make a template to cut a similarly sized and shaped replacement out of the material i had at hand cut with a sharp blade. Then I used a 6.5mm punch to make the holes, using the old rubber as a template, and then fixed it into the bike again.

I'm off for a 500km or so ride this weekend, so I'll be able to get some pretty immediate feedback if my material is no good for the purpose (I don't know how it will cope with the constant flexing) but I have enough of this material left to make a dozen replacements, so even if it only lasts a few months, I should have enough for a few years worth.
  7. Martinehijo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada 2013
    Also found the rubber protection on my bike cracked horizontally in the middle part and was tempted to order the OM part, but takes to long to get it, so went to a connections and hoses shop that sell different kinds of plastics. At the start found a very similar material to the broken flap, but the man at the store told me that it wouldn't work for the use because it's neoprene and won't be resistant to weather exposure. Instead he showed me a roll of material about 30 cm wight used in trailers cabins somewhere in the exterior. Cutted the piece to the size using the old rubber as a template, but had an error on the tailoring because used a point to make the holes instead of a punch as Nev did. This material seems to be flexible enough so I recommend it a lot or something similar to be weather resistant. Sadly I broke one of the upper clips, it looks easy to replace with automotive parts.
    Cheers!

Attached Files: