Rear shock

Discussion in 'TR650' started by Baddrapp, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I had Dave at Get Dirty Dirt Bikes rebuild the stock shock with the Racetech gold valve, rebuild kit, and a new spring. What a difference. Next week I will be going to the mountains and will see how it works. Its a mix of sand, rocks and some wide open desert runs.
  2. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    I have also contemplated upgrading the OEM shock, but ended up going the whole nine yards and replacing it with a full made-to-measure Hyperpro shock for both my wife's and my own Terra. It cost an arm and a leg, but a comprehensive shakedown on the trails in Northern France confirmed it well worthwhile. I hope it will handle the roads and trails of the Caucasus and Pamir just as well in the coming months.
  3. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint 1050, Daytona 955i
    Can you indicate what sort of expense for the Hyperpro? There's not many options for substitute whole units and the stocker is a shocker...
  4. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Hey Baddrapp, thanks for posting up re upgrading the stock shock - I'm planning to do likewise soon. Let us know how it performs. Can you give a rough idea of the price of this type of upgrade? In Oz they'll probably charge 50% more than the States for parts and labour!
  5. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hard to give an exact figure as the shock was done together with the front forks and some other bits and bobs were replaced. But I'd estimate the shock (641 type fully adjustable with external reservoir, custom length, custom spring) will have been close to the 850-900€ mark.
    cmcmullin likes this.
  6. CRSAM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    53 Harley 165ST, CRF230
    Touratech now has a shock for our TR650's. I had mine installed last week but haven't had a chance to give it a workout yet. I'll give a report on the ride results soon.
    tsmith and turtlemoye like this.
  7. DanD Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 R1200C, '04 R1150RS, '13 WR250R
    My Strada is just turning 12k miles and I can feel a new/rebuilt shock in my future.

Following! :popcorn:
  8. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    That includes 21% VAT by the way.

CORRECTION: I dug a little deeper, the shock on its own (no labour etc.) is about 650€.
  9. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Yep, just Im'd them, they have in stock. Thanks for the info CRSAM. I know there are several options for the forks, from internal mods, to complete for swaps. Have you done anything with your forks, or have a plan?
  10. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks duibhceK.
    I was considering going direct to the shop that you used for the Hyperpro as they already have the data.
    Would you mind PM'ing me or posting the shop so that i can enquire into supplying to Australia?
  11. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi sussurf. I have no problem with sharing the shop's details. It might not have been cheap, but the service was impeccable.
    We went to the shop in Alphen Aan Den Rijn in Holland: http://hyperpro.com/nl/openingstijden-alphen-ad-rijn/

Bas has a lot of expertise in setting up adventure bike suspension. And he has done 3 or 4 Terras already. :thumbsup:
  12. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks mate I'll send him an email.
  13. magpie Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    yamaha

Also interested in your investigations sussurf; letme know if you go ahead, might be able to share shipping costs on a couple units.
  14. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    This is my correspondence with them. I hope I'm not out of line:

Attn: Bas
    I understand you have built several Hypepro rear shock units for my model bike.
    Unfortunatley there doesn't seem to be anyone here in Sydney who is familiar with this limited model bike. Some say they can modify the existing shock absorber for some improvement but this is not ideal to me.
    Please indicate the options you can offer for this bike with your experience and cost.
    Thanks & regards
    Phil

REPLY:
    Hello Phil,

We can make such a shock and have indeed made several already. The shock type is the 461
    The shock comes with a reservoir on a hose, and the trouble is: there is no real place to put it directly on the bike.
    This is why it is not as standard in the pricelist.
    So you have to figure out a place to put the reservoir yourself.
    Normally this shock gets ordered by travelers, who have bash plates, luggage systems and such on the bike where the reservoir can be placed on.
    If you understand this and it is no issue, I can happily supply you with the article number, so you can order it from our Australian importer.

Regards,
    Met vriendelijke groet,

John Troost
    Hyperpro

Unfortunately I don't have luggage racks & without the shock in front of me it's hard to know where I might put the remote reservoir.
  15. turtlemoye Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE511, TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 BMW 1200GSA

Can I ask what price you were given? I looked online but can't find any info.
  16. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Ya, no problem! I had to call them to get any info, but very helpful, designed/built in house in Seattle I believe. $795 for the Touratech. I trying to get some info on the Hyperpro, I emailed them and got the same response as sussurf did. They seem very helpful! They are sending me the part number, and the US importer contact info. Probably receive in few days.
    I'd kinda like to compare the two. The Touratech is trick looking, I'm thinking the Hyperpro might be better as far as adjustments. Touratech has preload, and rebound. Not sure if the Hypepro had compression or not.
  17. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Hyperpro's shock if bought thru their US importer is like $750. It had remote reservoir, and remote preload adj.
  18. GrumpyShamurai Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    76 XL350 - 74 XL125 - 07 FZ1

That seems like a much more adjustable shock then the touratech one for about the same price.... would be nice to wrench down the preload a tad for the ride out to the camp site loaded up and then soften it back up for the trails after you drop load. Have you picked one up? Also what part number did they give you for our bikes?
  19. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    no, I'm still contemplating it. every time I think of some big ticket item to really improve the Terra, my mind starts focusing on a 501S

HU06-1AB is the number I got from HP, it's 461 shock body
  20. sussurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm interested in how/where anyone (I only know of duibhceK) has mounted the remote reservoir, particularly if you dont have panier racks.
    I don't think it would be a huge problem to fab something but just curious right now.