Rear shock removal w/ subframe in place? Impossible!

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by andyman, Aug 29, 2009.

1. andyman Husqvarna
    AA Class

From the article at Dirt Rider

"-You can remove the shock without removing anything else."

There's NO FRIGGIN WAY!!! lol. I hit the three hour mark on my new bike last weekend, and spent all last week cleaning the bike. Today, I tore down the rear end to clean and grease the linkage. I've removed all the linkage, and the upper shock bolt. The shock is still in there. I can't see how I could conceivably remove it without taking the airbox off (which means, seat, battery, subframe, exhaust)!

Am I missing something? Is there some magic trick?

Thanks for the help,
    Andy
  2. hamiltonuh60 Husqvarna
    A Class

It's funny you bring this up! I just tried to remove my rear shock after reading the Dirt Rider article and I couldn't do it either. It may be due to slight changes from the modifications he did to the bike, because I was really close to getting it out. I ended up greasing the bearing in place.
  3. andyman Husqvarna
    AA Class

I didn't try this, but after further investigation, it looks like if you remove the coolant reservoir, it'll slide out (assuming the linkage is off). Maybe the 08's didn't have that ressie?
  4. lairpost Husqvarna
    A Class

I can be done, I have. 08 TE250. They have the rad overflow tank. The shock must be rotated just right and lowered at the same time to clear the reservoir. The swingarm must be raised and lowered during the process too.

However, it's easy to unbolt the lower subframe and pivot it up towards the tank, no need to remove the airbox, just disconnect the intake boot from the barrel or carb.
  5. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

it can and has been done! I took mine off per drew smiths directions and it will come right out without removing the subframe,I loosened the dog bones,and took out the top and bottom shock bolt,then as you lower it,you will need to twist it almost 180 degrees as you come down you will need to raise the swingarm a little to fit it through,you can see the swingarm has a teardrop shape to the cutout for the resevoir,had mine out in less than 15 minutes,including removing the seat and gas tank!
    Borntoride71 likes this.
  6. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    It's pretty easy really, I've done it a bunch of times pretty much like fury1 described.
  7. andyman Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'll give it another go then. Just for giggles. My linkage is all greased up and ready to go back in... but I'm waiting on a lower shock bolt (one that I inexplicably stripped....). So, I've got a few days to fool with it before that part comes in.

Glad to hear it works. That's pretty cool.
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I'll have to try it, as I never even thought about it. It always seemed pretty simple to just tip the subframe up and not think in terms of removing it.
  9. jckid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Previsouly owned: SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250X, KLX351, CT110
    What about the 610?

I need to remove my 610 shock in order to replace the spring. Does this procedure work on the 610? Any tips?
  10. K7MDL Husqvarna
    A Class

TE610 rear shock removal

I was looking for the answer also. I just removed mine ('07 TE610) last weekend. In hindsidht I think it woudl have been easiest to remove the tank and then unbolt the subframe. The electical comes off the subframe easily.

I have a IMS 5 gallon tank and did nto want to go through the hassle of removing all the hoses, so I went looking for an alternate process. I was finally about to pull the swingarm hinge bolt, but lacked a 22mm socket to remove the recessed nut. No time to get one and had to deliver the shocks for rework in a matter of 12 hours. So I:
    1. Removed the battery
    2. Removed the 2 lower subframe bolts (top ones are under tank)
    3. Lifted the subframe as high as I could and blocked it up there (only lifts a few inches before hitting stops near the tank)
    4. Unbolted the front section of the rear fender (4 bolts either end of the battery tray)
    5. Lifted the bike do drop the swingarm down to its limit of travel
    6. unbolted the air filter (did nto remove it, just needed to push it out a bit)
    7. Removed the right side upper passenger peg subframe clamp
    8. Pulled the lower rear fender back toward the tire a bit and slid (with much work) the rear shock out from the subframe over the top and right side of the rear tire.

Putting it together I will likely drop the swingarm since I should have acquired the 22mm socket needed by then.

- Mike
  11. andyman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Although I once thought it impossible, I can whip it off in just a couple minutes by only removing a couple of the linkage bolts.

1. Put bike on stand so that rear wheel sags.
    2. remove top shock bolt
    3. remove bottom linkage bolts
    4. use floor jack (or something) to lift the rear wheel up till it touches the rear fender). this is so that you can tilt the bottom of the shock towards the rear tire.
    5. From right side of bike, twist the shock clockwise (bring resi towards you). the shock should drop down where the resi then rests on the top of the swingarm.
    6. twist/work/finagle the shock further clockwise until the resi is pointing away from you. the whole assembly should fit through the swingarm at this point and out into your hands.

Good luck with it.

I've got a spring to sandblast and powdercoat... I can do a video maybe when I get ready to reassemble if someone wants.
  12. Marian Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE310 Supermoto