Rear brake seized - TE 630

Discussion in '610/630' started by Tarsky, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin
    I mentioned in a previous post, that I'm a complete newb when it comes to dual sport/dirt bike, so hopefully this isn't a dumb question...

Yesterday, I took my bike on a really cool ride through the woods, up a dry creek bed, over some logs and boulders and through deep mud holes...WOW, so much fun!

On the way back, I had a 15 miles of twisty roads to ride to get home. What a great trip.

Anyway...in the last few miles, my noticed that there was little to no travel in the rear brake pedal. Shortly after that, I could feel the bike dragging between gear changes. When I pulled over, I realized that the rear brake was darned near completely seized up. As total luck would have it, exactly where I pulled over, a group of dual sport riders came up to me and started talking. One of them was a mechanic. He took a look, grabbed a wrench and turned the bleed valve nut. The brake fluid was literally boiling! After letting the pressure off, the brakes "let go" and I was able to ride home.

So now the question...is this pretty typical when riding in mud and dirt? Does this sound like something I should have checked out by the dealer? I'm trying to determine if this is a mechanical failure that needs attention or just something that happens when you get a lot of mud in the brakes.

Thanks
  2. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    That can happen if the master cylinder was overfilled: No room for expansion as the brake fluid heats up.. (happened to me on a ktm 300)
    Also if the brake pedal is set such that you are always dragging the brake. That will obviously cause overheating.
  3. Tarsky Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Africa Twin, Street Twin

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought of the overfilling situation. Thanks...I'll check that out right away.