Random Stall – a Silver Bullett or as close as we may get. TR650 Husky

Discussion in 'TR650' started by kiwiape, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Wayne has made the point several times that everyone with a Terra should get its software updated to the latest revision, and that the most recent revision was a major rewrite.

Given the LC-2 charts we've seen, with its poor fueling regulation, I think that getting updated to the latest software is priority one.
  2. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I believe most of us recognize that we should get our software up to date. However, this is a core problem for most of us. You may be presuming that it is a simple task of dropping in to the dealer and voila. Most of us live hundreds of miles or much farther from a dealer, and that's even making a very risky assumption that dealer even knows anything about or has the equipment to work on a TR. The dealer support has been nearly non-existent for most of us. How does one update their software when the nearest dealer is hundreds of miles away and doesn't even know what to do?

I do see rumors and rumblings of KTM trying to get dealers up to speed on the TR, but that isn't clear yet.
    PaulC and johnsweet like this.
  3. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 790R RickmanZ BulsSherpaTs350
    I'm in Mt. Desert, Maine. My dealer is 428 miles away one way, I called and got the cold shoulder. www.motofit.com in Danbury CT. will not support the MC, no use arguing with there service dept. Called another dealer, www.wagnermotorsports.com in Worcester Ma. he basically hung up the phone on me. One dealer www.hall-cycles.com, talked to me and said he could work on the motorcycle but he's in Springfield Illinois 1426 miles away. I still see the (dash wrench) MC runs good, a few stalls in warmer weather but nothing to fuss about. I'd be pissed if it didn't. I'll install the pulstar plugs soon. I see map II on the dash, other then that just waiting for KTM to take some responsibility.
  4. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    I understand everyone's pain on this. Perhaps Wayne could help organize a US approach to helping riders get the software updated.
    mag00 likes this.
  5. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    I appreciate the distances to dealers and the US problems in having dealers support the model but the firmware update is important

It is clear that there is an inconsistent implementation of support for the model across the world markets by Husky/BMW in the sale with the US being the worst market for support. It may be the firmware issue right now but later ECU's will require replacement and that will be more difficult unless action is taken now.

The only way this will be sorted out is to get NHTSA involved and with the Sertao recall now is the time to act as per my post in the thread on it started by KiwiApe. Stalling issues are high on the NHTSA agenda

I was involved with getting NHTSA to investigate problems with the 650GS BMW model a few years ago including discussions with US legal people, get the complaints in via the on line forms and refer to the complaints already in the system so they are linked together, post the complaint numbers into the other thread so people can refer to them and quote them. File the complaint even if you are not in the US. Let us not hijack this thread though.
    engineerk9 and mag00 like this.
  6. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    Agreed, not bad for a 'one size fits all/snake-oil' product ;-)
    engineerk9 likes this.
  7. Shawn Johnson Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 KTM 1190 R, 2017 KTM 690 Enduro
    I am confused. (WayneC) You don't own a Husquvarna TR650 or any Husqvarna for that matter, yet you still post on Husqvarna threads. You need to stop posting here and only post in BMW threads or you can "BUY" a TR650 and join us. I am sure I am not the only one not happy with your input here about your BMW bike. NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR So what that BMW made the TR650, THEY ARE NOTHING ALIKE EXCEPT THE LOWER PART OF THE ENGINE, everything else is different!!!
  8. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    Well I got the 10% + injector installed and lit her off last night......Was not able to take it out for a ride yet. is it me or does the bike sound different ? It had ...well more thump sound.....kinda weird but it sounded like a big thumper of yesteryear. I am going to make a frame to hold the foam filter in place then put all the plastic on and go ride it.
  9. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Just remember that the ECU will adapt over some time, so initial impressions may be different than long term.
  10. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Hey Shawn, please PM me.
  11. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    Thanks for the info. Today I was talking to Halls, looking to get a GasGas 200 Randonne, and got to talking. I mentioned about my TR650 and they are quite familiar, and I suggested that they spread the word about the BMW Recall and reporting TR650's to NHTSA. Like you say, get the word out, get it out fast and to everyone, make them take a look at it so we can get a proper programming fix.
    Scott Jones likes this.
  12. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    ". . . software updated to the latest revision . . ."

So, are there any western NY dealers that anyone can point me to where I can obtain the latest software update? I'm in the western Finger Lakes, 45 minutes from Rochester, hour and a half from Buffalo or Syracuse, 3 hours Erie. My closest KTM (and "new" Husky) dealer is a very small mom & pop dealership and has no idea. My TR's a 2013 and seems to run well but this could be important, right?
  13. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    http://www.hall-cycles.com/ I have called around and believe me they are it unless KTM starts giving out free OSS access to all there mom and pop dealers
  14. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    Wonder can I send them the ECU?
  15. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    Some time ago I posted that I was having problems with my Strada stalling whenever I came to a stop. If the clutch was pulled in when the rpms were 3k and up and the throttle rolled off at the same time, it wouldn't stall. I left it at my dealer for two months while they went over it when they had time. To their credit, even though they probably spend hours looking for the problem, they didn't charge me a dime. I picked it up on Thursday and there was no change even though they'd done a complete reset of the ECU.

After checking the UniFilter connection and the security of the TB I reached underneath the tank where I'd previously capped off the vacuum line to the purge valve. Whenever I moved the vacuum line, the idle speed would change. I discovered that the new vacuum cap I had installed had a thin spot at the end and when the engine was running it would suck the tip of the cap into the end of the vacuum hose. There was a split in an arc around 1/2 of the circumference of the end of the cap. Once a new much thicker cap was installed all of the previous issues with stalling went away. I'm running an AF-XIED at #8, canisterectomy, purge valve removed and the Pod Mod are the only modifications.

I'm sure happy to have my Strada working like it should!
  16. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    The latest firmware updates does bring with it other challenges
  17. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    I found a way to get around the stalls & stumbles on first start

Start the motor leave to run for a minute or two (whilst I put on my helmet & gloves), then stop it, climb on then start the motor again - it runs perfectly (go figure?)
    johnsweet and Mark_H like this.
  18. johnsweet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:

me me too, start it up put helmet on jacket on gloves on, never turning it off, by then the temp is up to half way hop on and ride it, go figure
    engineerk9 likes this.
  19. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    Well I have the plugs and injector in and it appears to finally be happy. The bike runs free and seems to have lost the flame out syndrome......time will tell but so far all is well
    engineerk9 likes this.
  20. nwrider1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Too many to list
    How do you identify which software/firmware version is currently in the ECU?