Random Stall – a Silver Bullett or as close as we may get. TR650 Husky

Discussion in 'TR650' started by kiwiape, Jun 22, 2015.

1. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I've installed the 124 injector. The only other mod I've done is installed brisk spark plugs. I've only gone through 1 tank of fuel so far. I'm hoping to get through another this weekend before I start really getting a feel for any differences. The ECU definitely takes some time to adjust before you really tell where it is going to settle.
    V8Astro likes this.
  2. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    Hi Kiwiape, I am keen to try this injector also. Now that you have a few K's would it be fair to ask has the ECU adapted?
  3. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The Dobeck BMW EJK was designed for the single spark 650GS BMW
    That model had 2 quite different flow rate fuel injectors and multiple firmware versions designed for each of the injectors
    Dobeck make no mention of which injector the EJK was designed for. The injection timing for the different injectors was considerably different
    The Dobeck EJK was not redesigned for the dual spark which has the same injector as the Terra
    All up the Dobeck unit could in no way be recommended for the Terra
  4. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Hi PaulC

Per post #31 of this thread, I'm still running on Pulstars and its going really well. Across the weekend I did 600ks and it did the roll on/off miss about 3 times in total including a -1.5C morning cold start without a problem. Doing the injector is a fairly big job and as I am due for valve check shortly I will do it them, but the Pulstars on there own have made such a dramatic change I now really don't have a burning reason to do it......what I'm saying is its not 100% perfect (but what is?) but its so close it does not really bother me at all or like it use to. I am noticing cold starts take about 4 cranks to start with a kick on the third. This has me puzzled, when the bike was new it fired on first crank and it is slowly degrading. I want to check clean the idle actuator first before I change anything as I want to isolate the reason for this....maybe its my battery, maybe adaptive learning needs a reset, maybe this, maybe that...?? If I change to much I will not know which does/did it. Hopes this helps. Cheers.
    engineerk9, johnsweet and PaulC like this.
  5. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Strada / 2008 SMR510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GS500, Yamaha TR125L
    I've tried both. For me the TR650-specific EJK was disastrous. Bogging. Stalling. I could never gdt it tuned right. I had the BMW EJK first. I sent it back to Dobeck and they flashed it for the TR650 (for free). I tried it for two months. It basically made my bike a garage ornament. I sent the EJK back and they flashed it to the original BMW tune (again for free).
  6. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Interesting, you have al a minimum confirmed the Dobeck is set up for the later of the 2 single spark 650GS BM injectors, if it was set for the earlier one you would be having considerable problems. At the moment though you are running open loop, if you were to establish which version of firmware is in the machine and if needed update to the final version which KiwiApe is running then fit the Pulstar you may well find you can take the machine to the next level of performance.

Even leaving it in open loop with the Dobeck the Pulstar plugs will give a considerable improvement but ensuring you are on the latest firmware is important
  7. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just ordered a set of Pulstars yesterday :) I got my bike May 2014 from Hall's Cycles. I know they updated the ECU to the latest calibration at that time. I'm not sure if any later calibrations came after that.
    kiwiape likes this.
  8. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    I 'm just guessing here but I think that the early ECU reflash will not run with the model specific EJK. I have an early version and the EJK ran like shit until I turned off the yellow. Only thing that makes sense........ why one thing works on some bikes and not others......M2C
  9. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Yes I noticed Halls get a good wrap from people and seem to understand the firmware update importance, the latest firmware was well before when you purchased the bike so I would expect it to be the latest version. You could safely say the latest version is a complete rewrite, not just a map update
    V8Astro likes this.
  10. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    So if I understand you correctly Halls can update the ECU/Dash to a current map at this time....as in right now. Have you had this done and how did it work.....They are not that far from me
  11. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    You'd have to give them a call. The official Moss system is no longer in service. If the new OSS is up and running and Halls subscribes, yes. If they have some sort of modified BMW access maybe they may be able to update.

Call em and let us know.
  12. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I suppose you'd have to call them and see if their MOSS tool/scanner is still available. I did my homework before I bought the bike. One of my questions before I signed the deal was whether or not it had the latest update. They assured me it did. As part of the check-up they did for me before I rode 2hrs home the tech double checked one last time. He said it was still the latest version available.

I can't really answer your question directly "how did it work?" because my bike was like that since I've had it. It only stalled once or twice before I got the EJK and did the pod-mod.
  13. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I got my Pulstars in the mail. I installed them last night. Pretty straight forward. I took some pics just for funsies. Sorry to my euro and upside-down friends all I had was a fractional scale :)

I didn't have any proper size o-rings. I used short pieces of 3/4" heater hose that I cut down the side to "shim" the coils.

Even with the EJK installed the old plugs look bone white. I have 3400 miles on my bike. It was 2am when I got done and it started raining. I didn't get a test ride in yet
    20150829_000809.jpg
    20150828_235126.jpg

Attached Files:

engineerk9 likes this.
  14. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

I purchased mine from the Aussie supplier, service was excellent & lots of support - I'll look up his contact details & post later
  15. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

Mine went from instant start to 2nd or 3rd after the latest OSS firmware up date, plus the 42degC transition open-closed loop
  16. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

George Bushara 0405245430 or bikerboynumberone@hotmail.com - his customer service is good
  17. gp1285 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm530 exc. yamaha fz1
    I see alot of post about installing the 124 injector but no follow ups. Does it work, well, no sometimes, ect. Input appreciated
  18. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Wanted to give an update on my 124 injector experience.

I had the pleasure of taking an all paved 4 day trip around Colorado last week, a little over 1100 miles. I feel that the ECU has adapted and settled early in the trip. I don't have any solid data or anything, so it's just my impressions. Keep in mind that I had adjusted the valves at the same time as installing the new injector, so there is a chance the valve adjustment could be a factor in some of my impressions.

The main thing is I have had absolutely no hint of a stumble or cut out since the change. The throttle seems to be tamed and is a bit less twitchy. I haven't had the chance to test it, but feel that slow off road technical stuff would be a bit easier with the new throttle response. Note that I still have the original factory sprocket gearing.

My fuel economy is excellent. It has actually improved a good 5 mpg or more on average since the valve and injector changes. I reached 70 mpg for the first time. Where I was typically getting around 55-60 mpg, I now seem to be 60-65, over the past 10 tankfuls.

My engine temperature seems to be consistently 1, maybe 2, bars lower than I remember. I don't have solid data to confirm, but I think the engine is running a bit cooler.

I do get the impression that it is too rich when snapping the throttle, or trying to go wide open. Snapping open the throttle from a stop doesn't seem to react the same as before, with a chugging kind of feeling instead of the hesitation or stumble before. And blasting along a long flat stretch of pavement seems to hit a limit earlier than I remember. Again, it just seems like the engine is getting bogged down with too much fuel with those WOT or fast take off situations. However, keep in mind that I am a rider that rarely uses WOT or fast throttle changes and thus I may not be the best at describing or giving the right impression.

Overall, I'm not sure which injector I will prefer. Since I did the valves at the same time, I can't entirely distinguish what changes are from the valves or the injector. Combined with the fact that I took several weeks to do my valve job and thus don't have the minor feel-for-things fresh in my mind, and I think I'm going to put the OEM injector back in at some point so that I can compare the differences in injectors alone. But, since I rarely use WOT, and I am getting better fuel economy than before, and I don't see any increase in black soot on the exhaust, I will be in no hurry to change back to the OEM injector. When the stars align and things happen to work out, I'll take the time to swap injectors again and see what happens.
    kiwiape and Chuffa like this.
  19. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    Stumble gone...great!......better fuel economy even better!!...can't ask for much more can we..?...but running rich, that kinda contradicts everything.

Is your cold start ok?

How much out where your valves?
  20. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada

Cold start is very slightly longer. Never had a problem, but does seem to take a half extra bit.

My exhaust valves were in spec. My intake valves were under spec from the factory.

How to check your valve clearances pictorial