Random Stall – a Silver Bullett or as close as we may get. TR650 Husky

Discussion in 'TR650' started by kiwiape, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Just curious, what setting are you using?
  2. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I've got it set to 6 which seems to add the minimum amount of extra fuel to cure the stalling and stabilise the idle. So far seems to only be consuming an extra 100-200ml of fuel per 100km.
  3. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    There is a good chance that a simple adaption reset would resolve many of the problems without resorting to the AFXIED as per what another owner reported today
  4. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    We have the same octane fuels in Oz and my experience is similar, except I've not noticed pinging with 91. I use 95 mostly except when only 91 is available (country or bush). We also have BP 'OPAL' fuel in some remote areas where petrol sniffing by kids was a problem. Not sure of the difference chemically or whether is has any effect on engine performance as I've not tried it.
  5. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE

When you're talking about fuel octane ratings (there are lots of numbers thrown around in this thread), its important to state which rating method, because you cannot compare the raw pump numbers from around the world. Australia, NZ, and Europe use RON method, while USA Canada use the AKI ((R+M)/2) method, so the numbers may differ, but the octane rating is actually the same.

91 RON = 87 AKI
    95 RON = 90 AKI
    98 RON = 93 AKI
  6. DanD Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 R1200C, '04 R1150RS, '13 WR250R
    The fuel I used was 2 gallons of 110 AKI 'Race Fuel' mixed with ~ 1.7 gallons of 91 AKI. I don't know mathematically what that would come to as an actual AKI # after blending the two fuels but was guesstimating ~ 100 AKI.
  7. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    Isn't resetting the adaptations (long term fuel trims) a short term fix? Won't whatever caused them in the first place cause them to reoccur in a relatively short time?

And there are other benefits. When lambda-shifted toward Best Power Mixture, most engines run smoother, especially at low-mid throttle and all engines run with lower EGTs (exhaust gas temperatures).
  8. Johnn Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    T4 Moto Guzzi
    Unfortunately that has been my experience.

Low to mid RPM yes. Not required at higher RPM. I think it was Quirky on the AR who discovered the standard settings for above 5,000 where
    good .
  9. CactusChuck Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR 650, Vulcan 900 Classic LT
    PaulC likes this.
  10. CactusChuck Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here is my source for the Pulstar spark plug spacer o-rings: M5x22 Viton O-Ring, 75A Durometer, Round, Black, Viton, 22 mm ID, 32 mm OD, 5 mm Width (Pack of 5). These o-rings are $12.86 on Amazon for the pack of 5. Fit perfectly.
  11. CactusChuck Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Another source for the Pulstar spark plug spacer o-rings: uxcell® 10 Pcs Oil Seal O Rings Black Nitrile Rubber 32mm OD 5mm Thickness. These o-rings are $5.95 for a pack of 10 on Amazon.
    PaulC likes this.
  12. apobateman Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XL700V Transalp 2008
    I rode my bike to Canberra today to get the ECU updated. My bike has no booster plug or similar device, and I purchased it four weeks ago with 13,500km on the clock. It was constantly stalling at junctions as I went to pull away. I am pleased to say that the ECU update seems to have worked. I rode 400km back from the Canberra shop to Sydney via the scenic route and the bike didn't stall once. I no longer have that little blip that happens just as you open the throttle to pull away. Idle is still a bit stuttery but at least I can pull away cleanly now.
    The update took about 20 mins with a few cycles of turning the ignition on and off. Joel at Dahlitz worked the machine and I have attached the final report print outs showing the version that my ECU was updated to. Next for me are the Pulstar plugs but am so pleased that the stalling issue seems to be resolved. View attachment 71639

Attached Files:

Geeza and PaulC like this.
  13. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Pulstar let me know there were some JE2RT8 plugs shipped to the Oz distributor HicloneQld if anyone is looking for some
  14. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    The report show the "prog ECU" remains the same (there have only been three versions) and yours is the latest. Do you know if the Adapative learning and Idle actuator were reset /calibrated?

My bad I as looking at the wrong line. The prog ECU has been upated thx Wayne.
  15. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The report shows DME programmed from 8532184 to 8543015, dash remained the same as there were no firmware updates for it, as for the adaptions yes it looks like it needs to be done and looking at getting together with apobateman to do it
  16. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT
    During a heated 120k ride, the TR started surging, heres the result
    A couple of pics of a pulstar plug failure after 8000k's.
    IMG_6623 - Copy.JPG IMG_6628.JPG
    Half of the electrode pulled out
    As you can see the crush washer and thread are clean, and the plug wasn't lose. So I dont know how coil boot melted?
    The gap to the ground has increased a lot and I suspect this is because the plugs are not in the correct heat range.
    Buyer beware
    DeLewis likes this.
  17. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    The heat range for the Pulstar's is correct, I assume you purchased from HiCloneQld, have you let them know about the problem ?
  18. DJOV Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT 250
    yikes.
    PaulC likes this.
  19. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

The heat range's are close but different
    NGK at 9
    Pulstars at 8
    Thats regardless of what crossroadz says

Anyhow been there and done that, Fail and Ill let others decide.
  20. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    Paul that is incorrect, the numbers are not directly comparable been manufacturers, been that way for years, have you informed HicloneQld ?