Random Stall – a Silver Bullett or as close as we may get. TR650 Husky

Discussion in 'TR650' started by kiwiape, Jun 22, 2015.

1. William42 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT1200Z
    What were the settings that worked for you?
  2. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    William, it's been a while since I messed with it - December of '14 was the last note I made on it. My unit was a second gen I think that was designed for the Terra, not the BMW. I bypassed the O2 sensor and ended up with 4 3 1 1 4.5 4.5. I also opened up the air intake a little when installing Engenia's filter frame. Once in a while after hard acceleration and I back off the throttle it will stumble for a few seconds but will recover. I'm told that it's trying to recover from excess fuel because there is a delay programmed after you close the throttle. Don't know if that is accurate or not. Anyway this seldom happens and I don't see it as much of a problem. Otherwise it runs great.
  3. William42 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT1200Z
    Thanks.
  4. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    If you try the items edited below, you will most likely end up with a strong ride, unless something else is out of tune or broken.

Solutions like the Dobeck EJK, that disable the O2 sensors, can make improvements but also disable mixture adaptation and fuel trims, leading to other problems.

5. spiderman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    07 KLR650 07 Bandit1250 85 Rokon
    Roger - I have confidence that what you say is true but after a lot of frustration I finally have this bike running just the way I like it so I'm hesitant to start messing with it some more. I don't like the idea of bypassing the O2 sensor but it seems to be working for me. That may be because I don't ride at different altitudes - dunno. I have a set of the Pulstar plugs and just haven't installed them yet but I've been running another iridium plug the last couple of years.
    Regardless, my dealer (Halls) is only a few miles from where I live and I haven't talked to them in a long time. I'll check and see if they have been successful with the latest firmware updates and go from there. I would really prefer to take advantage of the benefits of the O2 sensor. As always, we appreciate your valuable input around here.
  6. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    As Roger says, the Dobek and other after market controllers are not a solution to the problems

The first step is to confirm the firmware is the older version and if needed get the firmware updated

The iridium plug is not equivalent to the Pulstar and will do very little if anything to improve combustion, the Pulstar is capacitive and increases power to spark

Upgrade the Injector as BMW used the same injector as on the lower power F650GS/G650X/G650GS, same mistake they have made in the past

Re the Pulstar plugs, there is a shortage of them at the moment, it is due to Enerpluse preparing a revised version of the plug which will go into production shortly, it is not due to quality problems as suggested elsewhere, I have an enquiry in with them to get more detail and expected availability at the moment

Re checking for other problems with the GS911, a wise move along with checking the idle actuator and airways on the throttle body are clean. I had a classic example of that with a throttle body I purchased the other day, it was filthy and it was the actuator airways in particular which were the worst
  7. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50
    I haven't even installed mine. If and when I do, I have the 2nd gen which can be switched at the ground on and off. Using the correct switch, the o2 can be turned back on when the EJK is off. Giving you both worlds. Stock with o2 and fueling from ejk At a flip of a switch.
  8. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Hi Wayne. Interested in this upgrade. Do you have a recommended injector make and part number?
  9. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I think Wayne is referring to the injector on the first page of this thread. Kiwiape has a nice comprehensive description of the mods he has done including the injector replacement.
  10. LED Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Thanks DeLewis. Will check that out.
  11. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    it's the Bosch injector 0280158124. Around AUD80 shipped from the UK on ebay.
  12. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Hey Carsten, have you tried it? Does it make much difference?
  13. CarstenB Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    no. Thought about it but so far the Wuka and the Pulstars are doing a pretty good job, can't complain.
  14. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I've been using the 124 injector for some time now. It helps a little. However, after all the time I've spent with it, I can tell that it is more of a workaround that simply covers up problems and is not really solving anything. I don't seem to get stumbles anymore, so that's where it seems to help. But, I definitely still get sudden cut-outs, where the engine just dies suddenly, usually when rolling into a stop at idle, or just when letting the clutch out to get going again.

I'll also mention that I've been running the brisk AR10ZS spark plugs. Truly, the spark plugs made a much bigger difference to the stability of the engine. I have full intentions of switching back to the original injector at some point because of this. Also, I feel that the injector is pushing the limits of the ECU's ability to correct for the extra fuel at my altitude as I do feel performance at the high end has decreased slightly. Hard to say if that part is true, though, so YMMV.
  15. DanD Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    '98 R1200C, '04 R1150RS, '13 WR250R
    My Strada now has 12K + miles with no mods other than tires, chain and sprockets. Not even a valve adjustment yet (no worries, it's in the works :thumbsup:).

I was out on Rt 16 outside of Covington, KY and the Ashland Oil fuel station had 110 octane race fuel. At $8.49 a gallon it wasn't cheap but two gallons added to my existing 1.7 gallons of 90 octane made her run like she should.

I had recently read that Euro fuel has higher octane then what we get stateside. I'm guessing my 'mix' ended up at ~100 octane. The difference is night and day. I'm beginning to think that some of the issues we are experiencing are fuel/octane related due to the high compression ratios of the Husky/Rotax motor.

Temps that day were in the 90s w/high humidity. The bike was stalling/stumbling as per usual until a few miles after the refuel with the race gas. I've ridden in high temps with no stalling now through the whole tank. Idle barely fluctuates now. No stumbling at idle and the bike is smoother at idle. It doesn't appear that it is fueling with the 'lean' condition now at idle.

Next fill up I'm going to try some 104+ boost to see if it has the same effect.

Any comments are appreciated. I'd like to hear from others that may have tried this. I don't know of any downside to running higher octane fuel but if there is I'd like to hear 'bout that too! :thinking:
  16. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    I'll have to try that if I can find it here in W. KY.
    I doubt if the octane booster will do any good. Years ago I built a hot rod Harley Sportster that demanded at least a 50/50 mix of race gas and 91, the octane booster made little or no difference when added to 91. Besides, I love the smell of burnt race gas in the morning!
  17. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115

Yes I can concur, the fuel quality has a very big effect on the way the bike runs. I have used almost exclusively 100 Octane here in Philippines and have no stalls or stumbles with my Dyna-Boost and Injector set up. However if I have to go down to the recommended minimum 95 octane, the difference is, as you say, Night and Day. Basically it runs crap until I can get back to the 100 stuff again.
  18. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    Hmmm, interesting. May have to locate some 100+ race fuel and buy a couple gallons to see how it feels in my bike. You'd think at the compression ratio of our bikes it wouldn't have much of a difference over good quality 93 octane, but for the price of a couple gallons I'm willing to experiment. As I've mentioned previously, I seem to be one of the lucky ones with no stall issues, but am a very happy user of the pulstar plugs, which did absolutely make a difference in how it revs from low to id range.
  19. kiwiape Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia DD750
    In New Zealand we have 91, 95 and 98 at the pumps. The only difference I notice is it will very easily knock/pink on 91, no difference to the random stall or roll on/off miss was ever noted. I used 95 all the time and have tried 98 will no change noticed.
  20. DeLewis Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Well after 1500km since I removed the AFXIED due to concern with carbon build up in the cylinder, I've reinstalled it due to repeated stalling and also, perhaps more concerningly, the propensity to ping under hard acceleration. The AFXIED cures both these issues instantly. If a software fix can remedy the issue, more the better.