Random Stall – a Silver Bullett or as close as we may get. TR650 Husky

Discussion in 'TR650' started by kiwiape, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Trail Boss Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XR650L

My Terra suffers from three fueling issues. First, from idle there is a small time delay between when I turn the throttle and when the engine idle speed increases. Basically, the engine idle speed does not instantly react to the turning of the throttle. The challenge this causes is that if I don't wait until the engine idle speed increases before releasing the clutch I stall the bike. I've been working around the issue by making sure I don't turn the throttle and release the clutch simultaneously. Instead I turn the throttle and wait a split second or so to ensure the engine idle speed increases before I begin the process of releasing the clutch. This works every time I do it but when I forget I can stall the bike.

The second issue I have is surging when riding at a steady throttle with the engine RPM between 3700 - 4000 rpms. When I'm holding a steady throttle at those engine speeds the bike will randomly slow and then speed back up, as if I were alternating between slightly closing the throttle and then quickly re-opening it.

The third issue is the engine will sometimes die when I transition from riding to idle. If I'm riding down the road with a steady throttle and pull in the clutch in preparation for stopping, occasionally the engine will stall. This has only happened when the outside temps are high (above 80 degrees) though.

I have now ridden my Terra 650 miles with the Pulstar plugs installed. While the first two issues still exist, they decreased significantly with the installation of the Pulstar plugs. The off-idle hesitation is nearly gone. Today when I turn the throttle the engine responds almost instantly - or at least the delay between turning the throttle and the engine idle speed increasing is minimized to the point that I'm much less concerned about stalling the bike. Additionally, the surging between 3700-4000 rpms has decreased noticeably. Prior to installing the Pulstars I would consciously avoid cruising in that RPM range. Now, riding in that RPM range is a non-issue.

It has been cool and the bike hasn't been stalling when transitioning from throttle to idle so I don't know if the Pulstars have had any effect there. I won't know until probably May when the temps in Texas rise into the 90s.

The Pulstars have also produced some other benefits. The engine is peppier (faster acceleration) and my fuel economy has increased. I average 47-48 mpg over the past 5000 miles and rarely saw 50 mpg or better. With the Pulstars installed my fuel economy has been between 49 - 57 mpg.

I really like the Terra. I like it even more with the way the engine runs now.
  2. WayneC Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    F650GS Dakar
    As you can see from the Dealer response it is not a question of whether he can do it, it is a question of BMW refusing to take responsibility for firmware they wrote while they owned Husky and if something goes wrong in the process of the update BMW will deny responsibility and leave the Dealer to wear it, it is purely administrative issues, this bad attitude needs to be brought to NHTSA's attention and have them exert pressure

The chances of a problem occurring in an update are extremely low. Updates like these are done on a daily basis worldwide by the BMW car and bike Dealers with the same programming software. A complete car can take up to 8 hours and you could imagine on a $100,000+ car there would be screams if it was bricked
    johnsweet likes this.
  3. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Yes, I agree. Other than a media smear and contacting NHTSA repeatedly we haven't many options.
    johnsweet and engineerk9 like this.
  4. isldtime Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 STRADA
    Other Motorcycles:
    2002 Ural Tourist
    Charlie, have you tried Grass Roots in Cape Girardeau?
    I sent the service manager an email but so far no answer.
  5. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    What setting?
  6. BLZ2DWL Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I leave it at 5. Other than adding a foam pre filter, I'm running bone stock and it pulls like a champ.
  7. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    No, I haven't. I also haven't contacted Halls in Springfield, IL. Both of those are considerable long distances for me.
  8. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100
    That's interesting, most others are 7 or 8
    You must have been lucky with the Dealer setting the latest ecu firmware etc
  9. BLZ2DWL Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada

As far as I know, it hasn't seen a dealer since it was purchased in 2014. It didn't have any major issues before the AX-FIED, but the AX-FIED seems to have give it more power throughout, and it helped fill in the ~3k hole.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  10. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Hi, noted you got your ecu updated at PFG. Have spoken with Vic many times over the two years I have had my bike, knows alot about the bikes but is reserved about helping. Have also been down the path of trying to find a dealer ex husky and BMW to update the ecu but cannot get any joy. How much did they charge to update the ecu? It would be nice if I could send the ecu to them without a bike attached for an update, in fact it would be nice if we all could send them for an update.
    LED likes this.
  11. PaulC F class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 2018 YZ 450F, 2019 CRF1000AT

pm you
    Geeza likes this.
  12. Mark_H Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR 650 Strada; 2015 Nuda 900R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda XRM 125, Kawasaki Curve 115
    I am with you on this - AIT sensor moved, Dyna-Boost fitted and 124 Injector all together make me 'Happy' too.
    I don't care to much for the scientists, the proof is in the pudding.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  13. Baddrapp Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    I moved the ait, pod mod, 123 injector, brisk plugs, gpr exhaust, and a PCV installed with Tinken's map. Bike is a beast. Runs fantastic.
    Mark_H and engineerk9 like this.
  14. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    My "my proof in the pudding" is the LC2 mod, bikes runs like a screamin banshee, great gas mileage and runs like a tractor in tough stuff.
    engineerk9 and Geeza like this.
  15. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    And since The LC-2 has realtime logging ability you can see the results, before and after. So you know what's happening.
    engineerk9 likes this.
  16. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
  17. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    +1 also, best mod to date
  18. paolottiv Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Hi all, this is an Italian Terraster writing, I got a 2012 Terra on Dec. 2015, my enthusiasm was suddenly damped down by the gentle throttle-on stall below 2500rpm problem (Kiwiape's problem #2, I have no stall on cold start/warm up, i.e. problem #1, never) that on my bike was severe (average 5-6 stalls in 30 mins city traffic drive, really horrible and quite dangerous).

Luckily I discovered CafeHusky and followed Kiwiape's as well as others' advices, let me shortly describe my experience:

-I immediately ordered an AIT spoofer, the ACCELERATOR module™, mounted in 15 mins, resulting in -80% decrease of stall!

-I replaced standart NGK with Pulstar plugs, on top of the AIT spoofer: no noticeable difference;

-I ordered the Bosch 0280158124 injector, not yet installed. Do you think it should make a difference with the AIT and the plugs already there?

-Fuel consumption is about 36-37 mpg city drive, too high?

Thanks a lot, guys!

P.
  19. Scott Jones Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    1995 Kawasaki KLR 250 2016 Beta XT
    Quick question for any US owners who've tried the Pulstar's: What's a good local source for the o-rings? Presumably there are non-metric alternatives available? Got the plugs and need to source the o-rings before the season arrives. Thanks. -Scott
  20. BLZ2DWL Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I found that wrapping the coil with electrical tape several times added just enough diameter that the coil still fit snugly in the rubber mount of the valve cover. Cheap and easy, and holding up well so far. You will understand once you put a plug in and see how the coil fits. It just needs a little more diameter to snug into the mount.
    engineerk9 and DeLewis like this.