Rain Protection for bike while camping?

Discussion in 'TR650' started by FOX 43, Jun 26, 2017.

1. FOX 43 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Heading out on my first multi-day camping trip in a few weeks. Has anyone had problems letting the bike sit out in the rain all night? Any particular parts to watch out for? I would prefer to not carry the bike cover.
  2. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    I hate when I have to do it, but I have had no issues with the bike sitting out in pouring rain when traveling.
  3. Matt Crawley Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    Be sure that your luggage/mods/farkels don't route water to vulnerable places. EG - Phone mount drips water directly ibto ignition switch!

Are you using a tent? Maybe use the bike as one of the tent poles/supports or to support a "vestibule" sort of thing.

Matt

4. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    I use the same cover on my Road Glide Ultra and my KTM 1290 Super Adventure. It is about 8"x10"x2" uncompressed. It probably compressed down to 1" thick. And this is in a bag made for the cover. I would suspect you can get a cover a lot smaller than this for the TR650. On the other hand, it's just a TR650, so I wouldn't be too worried about a little rain.

Note: I also don't go camping if I know it is going to rain.
  5. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I always carry a cheap plastic tarpaulin or two on road trips. Can be put to many uses esp when camping. One of those uses is as a bike cover if it's raining, or a tent cover if it's leaking... or a doormat if it's muddy, or dusty....
  6. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    String a line from tree to tree, throw a tarp over it & pull the bike under the line with tarp on both sides of the bike. I have used clothes pins to "pinch" the ends closed. Kinda like an "A" frame or "envelope".
    spiderman and Bigbill like this.
  7. Chuffa Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT250
    I've had mine out in the rain when camping or travelling many, many times. Never a problem.
    LED likes this.
  8. duibhceK Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    TRX850; WR450F; XT660Z Tenere
    Our bikes lived outside for most of our 5+ month trip last year. Granted, we had pretty dry weather in the Middle East and Russia, but a good bit of rain and hail in Scandinavia. It was never a problem. At least not for the bikes, the riders became a bit grumpy at times :)
    nev.. likes this.
  9. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Mine is constantly parked in the street. They are designed to stay or run under pouring rain. The only time you need to be careful is when you clean it with a high pressure water gun.