Racing Downhills Improving Speed

Discussion in 'Racing' started by HuskyT, Jan 26, 2009.

1. HuskyT Moderator

Ok - I need some improvement on my downhill racing speeds.... I feel that I am doing quite well as I continue to track race GP MX and improve but am getting blown away by the intermediate and expert guys.

The track at GlenHelen was amazing and I love the hills. I want to know how I can go faster and harder downhill while retaining control... a lot of guys were crashing out on the steeper downhills yesterday..... not pretty! and damn dangerous...! Keep in mind that Yamaha Hill is a bout a straight 1/4 mile down and we had a sweeper right , right at the bottom.... I saw lots of guys go out, up and over the very small off camber berm at the bottom

I spoke with Robertaccio about this last night and would like to get more advice and input in adition to his great input.

Here is what I am doing and was practicing yesteday....

1) Upshift into a higher gear at the top of the descent.....
    2) Get up /stand up and get my ass way back ( keep my weight of the front forks)
    3) feather the clutch , (avoid stalling)with tapping the rear brake sparingly
    4) Get on the front brake hard and specifically at the bottom ( causes the rear end to start bouncing)

Is there anything else I should be doing or is it all just practice?

Input is greatly appreciated.... I'm racing the entire series at Glen Helen this year.... I currently have a 2nd place SR Beginner and 4 top 10 finishes from last year in my class.... I'm trying to move up to Novice and frankly it ain't easy on this track with the caliber of riders it attracts.....

T
  2. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    HuskyT,

When the pro's go out to practice, or race go over to the bottom of the hill and watch and listen to how they take it. Much of what I have learned has come from watching better riders tackle obstacles that were giving me fits. :thumbsup:
  3. I8AKTM Husqvarna
    AA Class

HuskyT-

I'm no expert by any means, but I have noticed that I tend to be able to make up a ton of time on guys on the descent...

Thinking about it, I do most of the stuff that you have on your list- I stand with my weight back, staying in a higher gear and on the clutch. I don't tend to use a lot of rear brake. I have total confidence in my front brakes. That's one thing I think is an advantage to me (us)- the Husky front brakes. I've ridden a 200EXC, XC-w and a 450EXC and I feel that even though they source the same parts, my Husky front brake to me feels much better. The feel and modulation are excellent. That inspires confidence.

But as with anything, practice, practice, practice.

paul
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    remember your clutch is both a slipper and an auto all controlled by you,,, up a gear, if you get wheel hop on decel just let the clutch slip a little to control the rear (Slipper),, then you can roll into the bottom and give the juice and slip the clutch on the way out of the downhill (Auto)
  5. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

All excellent replies, especially about watching the faster guys! If you can try to ride behind them during practice (pick a section).

I'd add "look as far ahead as possible" and never at the front wheel- on a steep downhill the closer you look to the bike the steeper it feels. And also know that most guys ride tight on downhills so it's a great place (when you build the confidence) to zap 'em.
  6. HuskyT Moderator

All good replies ..... with Glen Helen having serious elevation changes the speed on the downhills is critical.... I found that I was starting to mount some challenges on the downhills and if I was at all aggressive, some of the other riders would back off and let me by.....

I don't have a fear of going faster but do have a fear of literally loosing it if I screw up on my technique

one forty foot section of Yamaha Hill was literally slickrock by the time the vet race was over and the sr class started.... I quickly learned that no brakes and power was the only way to cover that ground....

I8AKTM - I have absolute faith in my front brakes and use them hard everywhere on the track....
  7. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK!... plain and simple.

Think Gunfighter! As in gun fighter eyes! You have to program your mind that your going to kill that down hill! Stay confident and just attack it!... it's all in your mind!

Position wise.... Stay in the attack position... standing with legs and body bent, weight centered on the bike, stay on the balls of your feet.... AND DO NOT SIT DOWN!.... JUST ATTACK IT!

Keep your Elbos out and stay LOOSE!

Try not to hold the bike with your knees... let the bike float... stay loose.

Two fingers on the clutch... two on the front break and stay on the throttle.

If you want to scrub off speed USE THE CLUTCH AND THROTTLE as well as the front break, but DO NOT TOUCH OR USE THE BACK BREAK!

Use the engine if you want to use the back wheel breaking (As in the clutch)

Watch the pros and watch how they position their weight and what they're doing with their fingers.

Find a down hill in a safe place and practice it... you might even think about taking the back break peddle off just for practice... but remember Practice, Practice, Practice.

I'm a New Jersey Sandflea and everything around here is flat!... even I have to adjust when I go up to PA, NY or anywhere there's steep down hills... I have the same problem with grass tracks and slick ground... it come down to a state of mine.

Think GUN FIGHTER... STAY LOOSE, ELBOS OUT! KEEP YOUR ASS OFF THE SEAT and KILL THE HILL... ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK!

JustSaying
  8. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

This is critical! Look as far ahead as possible NEVER DOWN in front of you.

My friend Drew Smith once said... if you focus on that rock or tree in front of you there's a 99% chance your going to hit it.

So look past the obstacles... your mind will have subconsciously absorbed it and your natural instincts will know how to deal with it.

And this is true with any riding you do... flat, steep, sand, rocks, trees, desert or whatever you do.
  9. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    This is very true, if you focus on a rut, or braking bump, chances are you will hit it. Every time you go out, try looking a little farther ahead. Eventually your speed will catch up to where you are looking. Now go getem HuskyT:thumbsup:
  10. HuskyT Moderator

Like this Blip Blip???? Uphill too..... I blew that '09 KX450F away... we came out of the turn at the back at the same time ! and on a '05 TC450 ! yaaaaaaaaa! Third lap. Give me a M203 ..... I'll be your Gunfighter!

[IMG]

And passing on the outside.... fourth turn on first lap I got the Yammi and the CRF on the uphill outside line...
    [IMG]

T
  11. Fugi Husqvarna
    B Class

suspension. goin downhill faster takes stiffer forks. u use half the travel just goin downhill, so if theres bumps u only have half to take it up. so not as much left to absorb the bad stuff, causin u to go slower cause it doesnt feel safe.

stayin loose and attackin make sense. everywhere.