1. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    Hey Guys,
    My 08 TE 250 pings and knocks at high rpm on premium pump gas. I've read a couple discussions on mixing race gas with pump to get the octane up. I 've got a DS coming up. I'll mix fuels at the truck but was wondering if I put straight race gas in my 2-1 liter storage bottles. Is it OK to run straight race gas?
    Thanks.

-R
  2. Michael Lueders Husqvarna
    A Class

Running a higher octane will not "give more power" nor blow up motor. Just a waste if not needed. I run race gas, gets stale and must use or loose...better than through the riding mower, no problem other than cost.

You should not be pinging...find the cause of that. Not an expert with EFI just the "old school bikes"
  3. HuskyT Moderator

I run straight VP100 Orange Race Gas exclusively / all the time. I never use pump gas..... my bike runs flawlessly TC450....Scotts fuel screw helps dial it in

However when in Baja anything out of a clean barrel or empty milk jug works just fine.....

T
  4. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Higher octane makes for a cooler running motor, and so prevents loss of hp from heat.

If you run straight race gas in some 2 strokes they will never warm up!

If your bike is running hot and so predetinates (sic) then you need to find the problem. Leaking air on the intake is a common culprit. Lots of other reasons, from a over oiled air filter to carbon on your piston dome to a clogged exhaust and many things in between. Worth checking it out.

Find out if your bike is running hot, that will limit the usual suspects.

Guys without a fan who use the clutch a lot and ride summer time might not have any mechanical issues at all, just need to modify the bike to make it run cooler--add a fan, bigger radiators, add a Y, cooler plug, etc. etc.

I am a big fan of orange race gas when racing, but run lots of stuff from Jose's back yard siphon hose down in baja. Bike only runs hot when there are issues (pin hole in the radiator).

hope that helps a bit.

Pinging at high RPM at constant thottle, or during acceleration or during de-acceleration?
  5. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    It's pinging at high rpm constant throttle. The bike has 400 miles on it. So I don't think it's a carbon issue. I do tend to over oil my air filter though. I've got the power up kit installed, don't know if that would make a difference. You've given me some things to think about.
    Thank you.

-R
  6. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

With the power up kit you will have to convert to the 'race' setting. Did you do this when you put on the pipe?
  7. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    Do you mean replace the lambda sensor with the plug? yes I did that.