Race etiquette + Illegal substances

Discussion in 'Racing' started by HuskyT, Feb 25, 2009.

1. HuskyT Moderator

Just wondering if there are any specific rules or race etiquette ( either written or unwritten) when it comes to stuff like:

1) on purpose T-boning
    2) crash causing block passing
    3) passing in general
    4) assisting a crashed rider
    5) riding over someones bike if they are down
    6) use of illegal substances prior to a race

etc.... I have either seen or witnessed all of these things .

The most concerning to me was that I witnessed a dude smoke out right before a race at Geln Helen (I do not know him ) ( I have nothing against people who smoke out and don't want to unneccessarily get anyone in trouble and personally could care less if people smoke weed) however, I do not think that you should get on your bike in a race environement under the influence.... especially where and when the person's impairment may cause death or serious injury....

I have never seen the guy again but wonder what all of you would do if you witnessed this

I have also been at Perris MX raceway and encountered the same thing on several occasssions.......

Is it ok to hunt someone down in the pits and call them on stuff like this.... I typically try and resist the J-law urge

This may /could become a firebrand thread but would welcome some perspective from all of you out there that are racing and competing...

T
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    1-5 Thats racing but should not be done on purpose
    6. Save the bong / beer for after the race. ALL races I have been to outline this in the small print. A lot of race areas around here say "no alcoholic on premises" as well so people drink mixed drinks or beer in cups :D
  3. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    I have always gone by the rule that rubbin is racing, but a blatent take out is over the line. A little bumping back and forth is good clean fun and should be expected in mx. And a KXF laying on it's side in front of you makes for good traction if it can't be avoided.

As for smoking weed right before a moto. I think I would purposly get a crappy start and then clean him out in the first corner. I have no problem with smoking weed on your own time, but it has no place before a race.
  4. HuskyT Moderator

Answers that question pretty well...

T
  5. HuskyT Moderator

99 % adhere to the fine print rules or work their way around them with paper cups... that is cool and fine by me . The guy openly smoking weed in the pits, putting on his helmet and heading to the line on his CRF 450 obviously does not care about the rules or have even the slightest bit of respect for them ...

So are you labeled as the track Puritan if you take the guy's bike number to the race promoter....or just ignore it and hope he doesn't kill himself or someone else?

Accountability for actions ring big with me.... the lack of personal accountability is what has fffd up this country .... everyone should live a life with conviction, accountability and purpose.......

Next time I see it I'm going to straight out say something to the guy .... and tell him he shouldn't be on his bike.....

Now , IF it was after the race, I wouldn't even bring it up....

T
  6. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Understand exactly where you are coming from, but..... If you confront him you are going to get a "confrontation". I doubt your concern will make this stoner wake up and mend his ways. I'd take my concern to the race officals.
  7. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Amen! I know what helped instill those values with you and wish everyone had to pass through that gauntlet before being released into the wilderness of society. :notworthy:
  8. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Ditto that thought....and once you confront him, he'll be sure to think it was you that went to the officials whether it was you or not.
  9. HuskyT Moderator

Your absolutely right of course Norman.... however, sometimes a little bit of confrontation wakes people up. Rather than get him banned, I would like to give him the opportunity to think about his actions before being banned.

The confrontation does not bother me at all. There are very few dudes who can intimidate me or confront me and have the balls to carry through.

T
  10. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    I just wish these guys would go and "hoot" behind closed doors and keep it out of sight....I dont care what kind of smoke they breathe...you cant stop them....I just dont want the kids and the families seeing it....

its bad for the sport and the image in gereral.....
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Absolutely. Confronting him will not resolve the issue just be a PITA for you and maybe retaliation (like to your truck when your out on the track etc.). point it out to the officials and let them do their job. You should not get involved directly IMHO.
  12. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

To me it's like the Gay thing, Don't want to see,hear it,have it taught in schools to my grandkids, keep it in their own house. If it offended me as much as you woulda stuffed him on the track. It's called " Old School" This being Politicly Correct is a bunch of BS. Later George
  13. rajobigguy Administrator

I agree with you 100%. Let the guy know that you don't appreciate his behavior and that you are doing him a favor by not taking it to the race officials (this time) but if he continues you'll see to it that he gets banned from the track. If he wants to make a personal issue about it I'm sure that you can accommodate him.
  14. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I smoked a bit of pot, like 20 something years ago. Didnt take long to realize it was slowing me down, in more ways than one.

Fast forward a couple decades and i occasionally run into stoners. Guys in their 30's and 40's who smoke everyday. Including racers. They call themselves 'partyers', but thats just code for drug addict.

What ive figured out is these guys are self medicating. They have disorders, anxiety or depression or whatever, and weed is their prozac. And thats exactly who is smoking out at the track.

I feel sorry for them, and consider them pussies. They need to see a doctor, it effects their wives and kids and more in negative ways. Not the weed. But whatever is their problem that makes them need weed to get by.
  15. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    In regards to those values ("the lack of personal accountability is what has fffd up this country .... everyone should live a life with conviction, accountability and purpose.......") I had to pass through that gauntlet...it was called being raised right by my parents.

WoodsChick
  16. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Bee preaching the "accoutibility thing is the culprit for the counties few faults" since like 97. No one listens becauseif they acknowledged the fact......then they would be accountable...........a great Catch-22 for all from politicians to big business to track promoters. I guess having accountibility as a credo is a military thing (not to say exclusive to military). In the Rangers we were taught act as and think that we are accoutable for all that happend under our watch wether we had contol of it or not ( ie you are still responsible for "Murphys Laws of combat" ie stray round, dumb Troop doing a dumb thing, Civillian doing a dumb thing in our A/O etc)
    I think approaching the guy and not sounding "choir boyish" would suffice and explain it is not safe. If that fails..........thrash his van when he is on a moto and say you saw some Stoners do it and you just figured he knew them and it was ok. Its must have been a "Pot thing"

Joe
  17. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

I don't think that HuskyT would have a problem confronting the guy and getting compliance! I'm mean really...any 250+ pound marine pitbull of a dude with a Husky jersey on asking something of me and it's all "yes sir...have a good day sir!" The reality is, he probably will just toke behind doors and still race under the influence. Like Mike Kay said, he's probably self-medicating for other personal and/or mental issues...maybe an official ban would be better! Racing under the influence???? There is no place for it!

David
  18. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

WOW!... I'm 51 now but over the years I have to admit that I have probably done one thru six at one time or another.

Number #5 makes me laugh though, because I still do that one even in this day and age when I'm out play riding with my buddies. Usually, I'll just dog somebody until they drop their bike and then ride over it while they're still on the ground followed by quick shout " Take that you rat bastard!"
    :D
  19. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I did maneuver #5 a couple of times, but I couldn't avoid it....
  20. BlipBlip! Husqvarna
    AA Class

Number# 5 is something you should do to all your friends!

Reason being it's a great way of getting even for all the beers they stole out of your cooler over the years as well as all those 10mm 12mm and 13mm wrenches they borrow at races, but for what ever reason never make it back to your tool box.

I think over the years I've purchased over 20 sets of Sears metric wrenches just so I can replace the ones missing from my tool box.

Goggles and gloves are a whole other issue... and just another reason for me to use their bikes for traction.

BlipBlip.

P.S. KTMs graphics look better with tire burn marks across them anyway.:D