1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Quick question on the early WRs

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by White Husky, Jan 13, 2010.

1. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Can anyone tell me for the '83WR what make and size the early round headlights are ? (Not the later 5" lights that came with the square number board, but the earlier smaller ones that are approx 12 or 13cm in diameter).

Also are the mounting lugs built in, or is there some sort of attachment ring?

Many thanks
  2. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    It's mounted to the forks with three 84.3 x 3 O rings. Not sure of the size of the headlight but I can check this weekend.
  3. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

O

Thanks for the o ring info Tommie - that's good to know as once I get a light in my front number board the next thing to do is mount it on the bike!

I've got the DC Plastics surround

[IMG]

Now just need the light to go in it, and bulb, and bulb holder...
  4. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

This is what my '84 headlight looks like. Will this help you? The number plate area is more square and the glass is approximately 5.25 inches diameter. I can give you all (there's lots) of the numbers on the glass if you'd like in a PM, but the mfr is Bosch.

Attached Files:

5. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    I wanna say BOSCH. I have 3 different styles on my bikes. the round style has a smaller diameter lens assy. I have a square one with a small diameter lens assy and I have an 87 and newer with a large diameter lens assy that will accept an H4 halogen for road use. all have 3 lugs with rubber spacers that attach the lens assy to the headlight mask.
  6. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The brand must be an " Auteroche" made in France (120-125 mm ).
    But the DC headlight hole of the copy is 110 mm.
    It is me who sent the original to make a copy...
    Need to warm to make the hole bigger ( 110 mm to 120 mm).
  7. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

Michel,

Do you think the glass lens (or entire assembly) could have been market specific? Auteroche in France, Bosch in US, etc? Perhaps mine was an improvised replacement glass from way back then.......

Tom
  8. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I think that Auteroche ( 125 mm) are for the years 82-84 and Bosch (150 mm) for 85-89.:cheers:
    Michel
  9. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi All, thanks for your useful comments and photos. They're much appreciated.

So if I understand correct, for the '83 WR:

• The hole in the headlight surround should be diameter 120mm and not 110mm as supplied by DC Plastics, but the DC Plastics hole can be enlarged by warming. Michel - do you have any tips on this? 30 minutes on a baking tray in the oven at 160 centrigade? (I've got a picture in my mind of one headlight surround dripping through the bars in my oven!)

• The headlight is an Auteroche 125mm - is that right? If anyone has the part number or knows where to buy these from I'd appreciate the info.

Maybe this one (bottom of the page) from the auteroche.fr catalogue will fit:
    http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/6625baac#/6625baac/34

Thanks again,
    Luc
  10. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hello White Husky
    I've warmed the plastic with a electric warmer (warmer or heater to take off paint: I don't know the name ).
    Then, I think you can use a 115-120-125 mm tube to make the hole bigger.
    The pics of the auteroche catalog seems to be nearly the same.
    The front is the same, the back is a very little different where there are screws.See my pics.
    Anyway with the DC plastic, the headlight is a little in the back.
    Michel

Attached Files:

11. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The number of the 82-83 headlight :
    15 17 413-01

Attached Files:

12. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

Michel,

Here I beleive is the difference; the Auteroche headlight probably ended in 1983 because the headlight part number in my 1984 parts list is 15 17 428-01 and it is a Bosch. It does not have the yellow-tinted reflector either which I like so much on the 1983 model.
  13. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

83 auteroche ( 125 mm), 84 Auteroche(125 mm), 85 + ??? Bosch (135-150 mm ??).
    Auteroche can be found in USA at ABL Lights.
    www.abllights.com

Attached Files:

14. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Michel, thanks for all the info - that's really helpful.

We call it a heat gun by the way - the hot air gun for removing paint that you referrd to. I will give that a go!

Cheers
    Lucien
  15. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

Okay, so now to really confuse things......

I checked my headlight again last night and the rubber grommet which covers the rear of the reflector that holds the bulb has "AUTEROCHE" molded into it. It has never seemed to me like it was meant to cover the bulb and its mounting properly, but I don't know any better.

So I'm guessing my Bosch lens/reflector was originally a Auteroche which broke and was replaced????? Who knows:excuseme: