Question about ABS on Strada

Discussion in 'TR650' started by BrettStrada, Oct 6, 2014.

1. BrettStrada Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Strada 650
    My Husqvarna Strada's ABS light came on and is staying on. Does anyone know how to fix it or what the problem might be? I'm assuming it means the ABS is not working properly? Thanks!
  2. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    I'm taking for granted that you didn't accidentally disable it at start up (although I believe it should be blinking at that point). The first things I would do is to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a hour or so, and see if the light is still on. Sometime the ECU interprets some odd signal as faulty, and disables ABS just to be on the safe side. Please be aware that this is just guesswork, as I've never experienced the same problem.
    I would also visually check the sensors on both wheels: be sure that they are both properly seated and cleaned. The speed sensor used by the tachometer is the rear one, so the culprit may be with the front if you can read the speed properly. In case nothing works, I would go to the dealer and see the actual message through Moss. Hopefully it is just a disconnected wire, or at least some faulty sensors, but if the problem has anything to do with the ABS pump/controller, then it may be costly.
  3. wferrari Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    V-Strom
    Just as an addendum, although I have no clue how easily accessible is the ABS controller, both speed sensors run into it before the ECU, so if you have the technical skills, you may want to check if they share the same resistance using the multimeter, see if the controller is properly DC supplied, and check the cable to the ECU.
  4. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I can't find any other information about troubleshooting ABS. You may have to use the MOSS tool if it's not something obvious.

FYI, the ABS unit is under the fuel tank. Replacing it requires fuel tank removal, rear subframe removal, and rear wheel removal, according to the workshop manual.
  5. Vandy31 Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650 strada
    did you en
    d up finding out what the problemo was? the same thing is happening to me
  6. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Strada / 2008 SMR510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GS500, Yamaha TR125L
    Just going off my automotive knowledge here...make sure the sensors are reasonably clean with no metal particles stuck to them (sensors are magnetic). This can cause fluctuations in the signal and male the controller think there's a bad sensor.

Just a thought....a visual check is easier than tracking down a MOSS
  7. AlexK Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr 650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha mt03 2007
    Hello friends....same problem is happening to me. It started when i first pressed the abs button doing about 70kph, the light came on abs was off, had my fun, then again while doing about 60khp pressed the button again and the light turned off, abs was on again...all good right? WRONG...then the trouble began...for about 2 weeks the abs light turns on by itself and i loose abs...i'm pretty sure its because the first time i pressed the button i should have been at a complete STOP, and again when i pressed it the second time at a complete STOP. Its possible the abs computer is mixed up, i think a kind of reboot has to happen and i don't know how...i will be taking my strada to the shop soon to find out why i keep loosing the abs and keep every one posted.
  8. AlexK Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr 650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha mt03 2007
    So i found out that the reason the abs is not functioning properly has to do with the battery! I installed a new alarm, but the alarm slowly started to drain the battery because of wrong wiring during the installation....as a result the abs was messing up and turned off and on....I have not confirmed this with the mechanic yet but i unplugged the alarm and as of two days ago the abs is working properly.
    PaulC likes this.
  9. AlexK Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr 650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha mt03 2007
    Hello fellow riders. Turns out my abs pressure regulator/pump module was damaged. After extensive tests and visits to my mechanic i ordered a used regulator from ebay and it works!!! Needless to say he spent at least 5 hours to install it. It's buried below the tank. Quick tip, never ever ever press the abs button when moving or speeding on your strada/terra. Chances are i did this damage myself when i pressed it doing about 70 kph damaging the unit's/regulator coil. Also some pics from the day of the install. Not a bad start for a 3 month moto.

Drive carefully on the rear wheel everyone !!!
  10. AlexK Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr 650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha mt03 2007
  11. AlexK Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr 650 strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha mt03 2007
    pressure pump.jpg

abs pressure pump unit
  12. Martinehijo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Strada 2013
    After changing the tires on my Strada, ABS became unstable going on and off erratically. Thought it was because a decompensation on the ABS pump happened when the wheels were taken off, but later I noticed that the tone wheel on the rear was bended a little bit, just enough to mess up the sensor. It seems that the mechanic bended it when he was struggling to place the tire on the rim, so he bended the tone wheel back to its original position with a screwdriver and ABS issues disappeared.
    So in conclusion, I´m sharing this experience hoping it can be usefull.
    Cheers!