1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

PVL VS MBZ who is the best

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by highdez1981430cr, Oct 13, 2009.

1. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Setting lighting cabability aside, what do you guys feel is the most reliable system out there?
    Give me your stories from horror to hu-rah!:D
  2. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico, Penton, KTM, DKW, Rokon, BUL
    I have had both...I've got an MzB on my 79 Maico and a PVL on my 84 Husky (and pvl's on 3 previous other Maicos)...When it comes to aftermarket, I'd go with the MzB ignition. I've never heard of one malfunction of an MzB, while I've heard of plenty PVL issues. Now, when my stock Motoplats finally give up the ghost on my 83 husky and 84 maico, I'm simply going to wrap 'em up and send them off to Vance Smith to have them rebuilt...Yep, he can make them better than new -- gauranteed.
  3. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Skoalman, What does Vance smith charge and what all does he do?
    Does that include a new coil?
    Thanks,
    Darrell
  4. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ive had trouble with my PVL, the mounting plate flexed when torquing the hold down bolts down and caused the rotor to contact the stator causing a short to ground. I have one on my 84-500wr and wish I had the flywheel weight back of the external rotor, like a MBZ. Another note, I had trouble finding a non-resistor plug the day I flooded it because of bad spark from above issue. It wouldnt spark a resistor plug. I called and they said you have to run a non-resistor plug, or very low resistance Iridium because of its spark energy. I cross checked my plug on my daughters XR 70 and it sparked it just fine, kinda thought my new expensive spark machine would have same if not more spark for my 500 than a 70? Motoplat on my 430 and 250 would also.
  5. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

My 1981 430 CR has the internal rotor and i was wondering if the extra mass would give it more inertia to aid in starting.
    anyone changed from an internal rotor to an external rotor or vise versa.i love that snap off the berm with my button mag.
  6. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    here's the link that will answer every question you have!

http://motoplatrepair.tripod.com/index.html
  7. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks again Skoalman i will check out his site.
  8. Bryll Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some
    Other Motorcycles:
    Some
    If you can consider to install a battery pack on your bike, here's a cheap tunable system we installed on a couple of bikes now
    My experience is from the inductive system only.
    The only problem is to find a Laptop with a RS232 port to program the system, the USB/RS232 converters I tried where all crappy.
    It's quite amazing how you can change the character of the engines behavior with some "fine tuning" of the ignition:D
  9. HuskyT Moderator

Skoalman : I'm giving you some rep points for this post!:thumbsup::cheers::applause: Check your User CP to see details! - maybe a little more information on Vance Smith? Maybe he might want to consider becoming a member or a sponsor of the Vintage forum???

Rebuild Rewind Pricing?

I have created a new thread over in the Vintage Tech Ref section for this subject. It is that important. link here : http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?p=54136#post54136

Post up any more details here or send me a P.M.

T
  10. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Do you have one of these units on your 83 CR 500?
    If so how much easier was it to start?
    Are their systems external or internal rotors?
    Thanks,
    Darrell
  11. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husky T,

I'm going to forward this link to Vance. He and I just spoke recently while at the ISDTRR, and hopefully he'll be able to provide us with some more info -- pricing, etc.

Skoalman
  12. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good job Skoalman,

Get us hooked up!
  13. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here a response from Vance today:

Hello John,

You can pass this along. I can answer all questions on yahoo mail at vtssmith@yahoo.com. I generally charge 85.00 for a diode replacement, 135.00 for a current coil replacement, and 185.00 for a current and trigger replacement. This includes, shipping with confirmation, new wire, sheathing, connectors, and a 5 year warranty.
    Thank You for providing my Motoplat Repair address to the members. There is some valuable info. there.
    Regards,
    Vance
  14. HuskyT Moderator

Darrell,

If that is your 51-D I am a jealous man..... I have rode in a P-51 twice now.... both times in CottonMouth when she was owned by Jerry Janes.. he took me for a little 375 MPH tour of the deck at about 30 ft .. Freaking amazing......I got to ride in her for about an hour in formation with a B-25 Mitchell that my dad was piloting...

http://www.warbirdregistry.org/p51registry/p51-4473973.html

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

T
  15. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

That first picture looks like me comming off the first pylon at Reno in the gold series race spanking the sea furies!

R.R.Merlins are the husky`s of WWII
  16. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Hearing 4 of them go by ya is gold. :thumbsup:

[IMG]

My Dad was on the ground crew for this little puppy for years. In Hamilton Ontario. Love that sound...

Hope this isn't to much of a high jack thread.
  17. HuskyT Moderator

Care to post up any more 51 pics? IS that your bird Darrell?

T
  18. HuskyT Moderator

Now that is a great hijack

T
  19. HuskyT Moderator

My dad rode with Ellsworth Getchell in his RAN SeaFury when he lost all power. Did a dead stick landing.... an experience to remember... one my Dad will never forget.

T
  20. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Better than gold ....PRICELESS!!!