1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

PVL Ignition

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Husq.fleet, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

My 84-500XC has PVL ignition, had it when I got it. Had alot of trouble starting it with spark related problems. tested everything as stated in the troubleshooting guide.Called penton for help and they were very helpfull but had no other ideas. Came down to the hold down bolts holding the stator to the ign. plate was flexing. This was causing the rotor to slightly touch the stator which would cause a direct short=no spark. Would run once every 20 kicks after tongue was hanging out. Checked air gap with paper and was fine but after wrapping paper all the way around rotor it would pinch in very front of rotor/stator. One thing they told me is you cannot use any type of resistor plug, not enough spark to fire thru a resistor plug? I run a B8EG NGK, they recommended a Iridium plug, NGK doesnt sell a IR plug in the states, UK only, something about the outboard engine two stroke faze out-nice. In all honestly, I think my MotoPlat on my 82-430, 82-250 has better spark. This might save someone else alot of "kicks" Scott
  2. Tahitian_Red Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a PVL on one of my bikes and it runs great, but is hard starting. I think PVLs are great for 250cc an under displacements, but not so much for big bores, especially if you are switching from an external (larger) rotor ignition to the internal (smaller) rotor PVL. IMHO.
    :)
  3. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

My friend runs them on his two Hodaka's, 125's and loves them. I think your right about the smaller displacements and rotor size. I think it has alot to do with how fast they are spun, have to kick mine like stomping a rattlesnake. I wonder if the MZB being external would be better/easier starting on a large bore?
  4. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    my big bore starting method

Scott,
    Here's the starting procedure for my 390, 430 & 500 CR's

turn the petcock on, turn the choke on, put the bike in maybe 3rd
    gear and rock it back and forth for about 60 seconds (makes the
    piston go up & down a bit and kind of helps get a little fuel / air
    charge in the cylinder). Then, turn the petcock off, NO THROTTLE,
    and kick, kick, kickety kick.

mine usually all start in 1-4 kick good boots, after this procedure:D.

All my Huskys have the stock Motoplat, and resistor or std NGK B8ES

I had 79 250OR with a PVL & i used this method too.

John
  5. WestCoast Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello RUWFO...

Understand the procedure... What does turning off the petcock accomplish?
  6. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks John for the info. Now that I have got the proper gap around the rotor/stator it fires right up. I have always turned the petcock off untill it runs. My dad had a 501 Maico when I was a little kid and he always did that. I asked him why and he said kicking it bounces the float and the gas tank is gravity feed, all the weight of the gas on that little needle/seat. Been my habit ever since, he says I never listened-just the important stuff.
  7. Leftcoast leftkicker Husqvarna
    AA Class

BTW, my backing plate for PVL cracked but that was after 3 yrs hard racing. no way i'd go back to motoplat but if yours is running & you like it then no need to switch, just know that someday it'll die and you'll have to figure out is it the lower or upper unit?
  8. highdez1981430cr Husqvarna
    AA Class

running a Denso IW24 (NGK B8EV eqiv.) plug will help the motoplat`s :thumbsup: