Protaper Handlebar Upgrade

Discussion in 'TR650' started by SnackAZ, Nov 25, 2013.

1. SnackAZ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL250R
    I decided to upgrade my Terra's OEM handlebars to stronger 1 1/8" Protaper aluminum bars. At just 5'8" tall, stock bar placement is just about right for me so my goal was to stay close to the stock height, rise, and pullback. After comparing Renthal's Fatbar, Easton, and Protaper Contour at my local MX shop, I chose the Protaper Contour KX High bend since it was nearly identical to OEM.

The challenge with retrofitting bigger bars on the TR650 is finding suitable mounts. Since the OEM bottom clamps are the offset type, using cheap universal 7/8 - 1/1/8 adapters will not work without modification to the interface at the bottom clamp. These add-on adapters also add 1" or more to the clamp height which was not my goal. Another option was replacing the stock clamps completely with something that bolts to the stock triple clamp. Motorsportz makes some awesome adapters in either stock height or 1/2" rise but availability seems to be an issue at this time and I didn't want to wait.

My solution was to go with universal bar mounts that mount using a large 12mm bolt that passes through the top clamp. Husky was kind enough to provide us with an 18mm hole in the center of the clamp base and I found some nifty 18mm bushings that worked perfectly to reduce the hole size down to 12.8mm. The bolt length was perfect too (not too long or short) so no clearance issues. I chose Protaper #22822 oversize bar mount kit at $40. These clamps are 3mm taller than stock and have a 4mm bolt center offset so the bars mount slightly further back than stock.

In addition to the bars, I had to upgrade my Barkbuster mounts to fit the larger diameter bars. Twisted Throttle offers a mount kit just for big bars...#BB.BTC.06. Cost was $58 and the kit includes both inner bar mounts as well as expanding bar-end inserts. For a more secure mounting, I decided to thread the bar ends and use G2 threaded bar inserts ($22).

Post-install impressions? I'm very pleased. The bars are stiffer than stock and I like the feel. They also transmit less vibration! Objects in the rear-view mirrors are nearly blur free now.

Terra Bar Mounted 129.jpg

Terra Bar Compare 068.jpg

Terra Bar Compare 069.jpg

Terra Bar Compare 074.jpg
  2. SnackAZ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL250R
  3. SnackAZ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL250R
  4. SnackAZ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL250R
  5. SnackAZ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL250R
  6. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    A great write up. This sounds like my next mod if vibration & mirror shake is reduced. Do you know what the inside diameter of the bar ends are as I will need to source a mount kit for my hand guards as well?
  7. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Thanks. I was just about to get a quote from a my local machine shop to make a set of bar clamps. Great write up, and they look good. Where were you able to find the bushings?
  8. SnackAZ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL250R
    The inside diameter of the bar is roughly 14mm. I used a threaded-insert kit made by G2 (many on e-bay and amazon) that included a 5/8" tap for cutting the threads. Once installed, the inserts accept any 8mm x 1.25 bolt to securely mount the hand guards. I used 60mm stainless bolts. Here are a few pictures:

Bar ends 007.jpg Bar ends 010.jpg Bar ends 021.jpg Bar ends 004.jpg
    nev.. and Thumpa like this.
  9. SnackAZ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL250R

I found these at my local Ace hardware in the metric bolts and fittings section. They seem to be very common at most Ace stores... I found them at five different stores in the local area (Phoenix, AZ). Price was about $.50 each. These nylon inserts measure 18mm OD, 12.8mm ID, and 20mm length. The total depth of the top clamp hole is 42mm so you will need four, two for each side. They tap in easily but snugly.
  10. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Thanks SnackAZ, very helpful.
  11. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    Hey SnackAZ, is this the rubber mount kit? If so, just wondering why you chose this over the solid mount? Not being critical just trying to organise my parts kit. Would have to help in reducing vibration for starters. Cheers
  12. SnackAZ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL250R
    These are solid mounts, not rubber isolated. They bolt solidly to the top clamp.
  13. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    You mentioned that you used pro taper mount kit part # 22822. I wonder what this refers to as it specifies it's a Universal Rubber Mount?
    Edit - What windscreen do you have on your bike?
    ptmountkits.jpg
  14. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    I have used the Protaper EVO bars on previous bikes but never the contours. Are the contour series bars durable? My stock Maguras are a little bent and I am looking to replace them with something more durable. I have the Highway Dirtbike hand guards with threaded inserts and they work great. I am concerned with trying to thread the EVO bars if I go that route. They are made out of some very hard alloy and could prove difficult to tap.
  15. SnackAZ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL250R
    Many MX/dirt bikes use rubber mounts so that is probably the target market for these mounts.

Note: Other companies make universal big bar mounts too and they offer some different heights options. Here are taller mounts from Outlaw... http://outlawracingproducts.com/ouraunoemmot.html

That is the Husky factory accessory windscreen. I like it very much. It helps cut down on fatigue on longer rides and it is not too big. For my height, wind blast hits around the top of my shoulders/neck area...head/helmet is mostly in clean air. I plan to make some brackets so I can experiment with mounting it a few inches higher and possibly push it forward from the bezel a tad. I'm also intrigued by the the KTM 690 windshield (see other thread) and might give that a try someday.
  16. SnackAZ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL250R
    Sorry, I don't have any durability experience with either bar. All I know is that Contours are much more rigid (and lighter) than the stock factory 'butter bars' they put on our bikes. When I first bought my Terra, the dealer slightly bent one side when first attempting to cinch it down to my trailer. At least it was easy to bend it back.
  17. bluegopher Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TR650 Terra
    I had the same 'butter bar' experience many times after dropping the Terra in a variety of exciting conditions. It is nice that they are easy to bend back but I figured sooner or later the next bend was going to be the last. I went with Pro Tapers seven eighths and they've been much better. I'm sure the cross bar has a lot to do with it.
  18. RuggedExposure Now with more rugged!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    '08 Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350

Your neighbor has a really, really nice lawn. I'm jealous.

Nice write up too.
    Did you take any pics of the bar ends before and after drilling?
  19. SnackAZ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    XL250R
    I didn't take photos of the bar ends before starting but did post during and after pics above ... post#8. And yes, he has nice grass
  20. AUS_TR650 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    2008 KLX250S
    I have installed my ProTaper bars following the helpful information & parts list provided by SnackAZ. My reason for going to the ProTaper bars was the mention of blur-free mirrors, something I have been researching since buying my Terra, a common issue with big-bore singles. In addition to the bars, I've also fitted mirrors & isolators from a Honda XR650L. The mods have yielded a noticeable improvement in vision.
    The differences with my installation is that I had some steel spacers made for the 12mm bolts. They're a snug fit and are the same length as the depth of the bore. And I used the Barkbuster bar end expander set up to secure my guards. CAM00116.jpg CAM00112.jpg